constantly updated impression : Audio-gd Reference 8!
Jul 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #61 of 106
perhaps u might get to compare the ref7/ref1 vs the Buffalo 32 so that we can know where we stand on ref 1

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #64 of 106
I may buy the Ref-8 with USB. I have the Ref-1 with Ref-3. I will post impressions comparing them.

Hi,

since u own the ref 1, you will be able to compare well against the ref8.

Ref 8 and Ref 1 are two differnt beasts altogether. Given the $$$, I would love to have them side by side with a switch to either of these system.

Ref 8 is more musical, body and yet detail but not the dynamics and transients compared to ref is slightly less(u dont have this in the musical piece of gear right).

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #66 of 106
I have a friend who owns one and and was comparing it. ref 8 needs min half and hour of warm up for good sound.

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #67 of 106
i figured out i did need a much better headphone to appreciate what ref8 could offer other than my D5000

i was at the sydney meet and had a chance to hear D7000 with ref8 and v8p. I was shocked how amazing the combo was. Much more detailed,surrounded and emotional, it was as if i could "see" the music.

The ref8 does need plenty warm-up to sound good.

i am not sure if everyone can understand my description for ref8 as it produces a "round" sound , compared to dac-1's sharp sound.

I dun think i will be listening with ref8 anymore unless to pair it with at least D7000.
Not sure about LA7000, really interested to get one but just dunno if it will fit my preference.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #69 of 106
superjohny, what amp are you using right now? And is the D5000 recabled? I heard some people say the stock cable is quite bad, if you haven't replaced it I would get something like Canare L-2T2S 23 awg twisted pair cables. If .236 inch outer diameter is too thick there's many other cheap cables which imo sounds in the same league as $100-200 cables, just use at least 26 awg and don't make it too long.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #71 of 106

Quote:
I'm surprised you don't notice better bass with the musical series over the analytical series,  that was the first thing I noticed after burn in.

The bass on my "analytical" ref5 became immensely good a couple days ago.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #72 of 106

Quote:
I'm surprised you don't notice better bass with the musical series over the analytical series,  that was the first thing I noticed after burn in.

i did notice heck of a lot good bass with ref-8. Amps i've been considering are BUDA+DPS,WA22, Rudistor [size=x-small]RP010[/size][size=x-small]-B MkII(might need some more time to save up), or eddit current  balancing act(same for this one).[/size]

headphones are: LCD-2 recabled. not sure about LA7000 but pretty sure D7000 sounded very good.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #73 of 106
Was that a recabled D7000 you tried? I know D7000 is higher end than D5000, but it's possible the difference you described isn't just the difference between the two headphones but due to other accessories or cables.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #74 of 106
Quote:
i did notice heck of a lot good bass with ref-8. Amps i've been considering are BUDA+DPS,WA22, Rudistor [size=x-small]RP010[/size][size=x-small]-B MkII(might need some more time to save up), or eddit current  balancing act(same for this one).[/size]

headphones are: LCD-2 recabled. not sure about LA7000 but pretty sure D7000 sounded very good.

That was probably my D7000 you tried superjohny - stock cable and cups but with the Lawton mods.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #75 of 106

I guess my comparison between the analytical and musical series could be biased since my musical series is the huge tank 3SE and my analytical serie is the lower priced/smaller Dac19. 

I have to have HDCD decoding but I've been tempted to buy a ref 1 and use the foobar HDCD.exe plugin to compare to my beloved 3SE.  If anyone with good feedback wants to do a temporary swap to compare units let me know.

Quote:
The bass on my "analytical" ref5 became immensely good a couple days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back