constantly updated impression : Audio-gd Reference 8!
Jul 2, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #47 of 106
I have two audio-gd's DAC, one has ACSS out (REF7HE) and the other has diamond differential output (1541S2). They sound different but either of them are excellent  DAC.
Superjohnny, I could imagine your REF8 is an excellent sounding DAC also, it takes times to burn in to do its best, be patient.

For amp to use your headphone, why not Phoenix if budget allow?

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #48 of 106

Quote:
I have two audio-gd's DAC, one has ACSS out (REF7HE) and the other has diamond differential output (1541S2). They sound different but either of them are excellent  DAC.
Superjohnny, I could imagine your REF8 is an excellent sounding DAC also, it takes times to burn in to do its best, be patient.

For amp to use your headphone, why not Phoenix if budget allow?

I've heard ppl saying pheonix not being bass impactful, and i am a bit worried on that, and also i want forward mids which i am not sure pheonix would do that. and in fact, i am looking at price range for an amp $2000-$3000 which i think there could be something better than pheonix to suit my taste out there.
darthsmile.gif

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #49 of 106

Quote:
I've heard ppl saying pheonix not being bass impactful, and i am a bit worried on that, and also i want forward mids which i am not sure pheonix would do that. and in fact, i am looking at price range for an amp $2000-$3000 which i think there could be something better than pheonix to suit my taste out there.
darthsmile.gif

balanced act by eddie current

Jul 2, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #52 of 106
d5000, pairs not too well with not fully burnt-in ref8 tho the punchiness and lower bass is excellent. lower mid is muddy atm,need to be patient.
still thinking what to upgrade, either la7000 or lcd-2 or wait to see how he-6 goes.

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #55 of 106

Quote:
darthsmile.gif

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #57 of 106
Jul 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #58 of 106

Quote:
how about balanced SPL phonitor?

IPodPJ found the Phoenix outperformed the SPL box..just saying. I would look at a 4 channel AMB Labs B22 (with separate dual PSU chassis) rather seriously (for around 3K it could be done rather well). I managed to get some additional bass heft and dynamics with my Max Mod for the Phoenix (Phase 1 PSU rebuild) but that is a major DIY undertaking (when you factor in the cables, the internal wiring, time and parts cost etc) it's an additional 500USD. I still have to complete Phase 2 (amp box) which I will get to in a few days now that the RE1 Max Mod is finished (and working).

Peete.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #59 of 106
The whole musical vs neutral description on AudioGD's website is a translation error IMO.  I have one of each and the musical one is not colored in anyway,  it is more accurate and lifelike than the neutral one.  These DAC's require a lot of burnin and warm up time with their diamond buffer outputs.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #60 of 106
I had a chance to compare superjohnys Reference 8 against my Buffalo 32 today under meet conditions, the Reference 8 certainly brings a different sonic picture to the table, it did wow me I have to admit. There’s more flesh on the bone, great tone and dynamics contrary the Buffalo 32 has great balance and poise and does not make a fuss - slightly closer to neutral. I like the Reference 8 a lot, it’s a very pleasing musical dac! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back