Considering UM3X
Jul 21, 2011 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

meyameya

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys!

I'd like to ask a few questions about the UM3X.. I have researched but some things are still a bit vague. 

Just a little background:
I used to own the RE0s until the cable on the left ear broke. I loved the RE0s though at times i kinda found it a bit boring.. not to mention build issues..(those double flanges are really itchy! and cable easily breaks) The only decent gear I have now is the ATH-M50s and I prefer using them while at home because I don't find it to be very portable.

So now I'm considering the UM3X RC version. I read that the cable is comfortable but isn't very durable. I'm not one to baby my earphones - don't get me wrong,  I'll take care of them, but I don't give extra care when handling them. Granted that I'd be getting the RC version, will durability still be an issue? (Because if I'm not mistaken, it's the cable that easily breaks, not the actual IEM) I'd really like to hear about the build issues - if any. And hearing about the comfort/fit would be great too :) 

I don't think I need convincing about the sound - while I haven't auditioned it myself(it's not easy to do this from where I'm from), the comments about the great instrument separation and the extra bit of bass it gives out seems kinda like my style.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 64
IIRC, there is an early batch of UM3X RC version that suffered from build quality issue, but Westone already corrected the problem. Other than that, I haven't noticed any complaint about UM3X RC version and you should be fine.

Going from RE0 to UM3X, you can expect a much warmer sound with more body and bass but UM3X will not be as bright or ultra-detailed as RE0.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 64
Thanks for the reply clieos.. i'm almost over hesitation over the price and it's just the build that worries me.
Good to hear about the RC build quality :)
Too bad thought I thought it would at least be as detailed as RE0s. 

So.. overall the build is good/durable? would these be fine when used for running or is this something that would drastically shorten its lifespan? and can anyone comment on the fit of these IEMs? 

thanks!! ^^

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 64

Quote:
So.. overall the build is good/durable? would these be fine when used for running or is this something that would drastically shorten its lifespan? and can anyone comment on the fit of these IEMs?

I don't own the UM3X, just listened to them before. However, Westone build quality is generally pretty good.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 64
I am a second time around owner of UM3X.  (Now RC)

You can check my history sig of IEM's but I am pretty blown away by this IEM.  I will say also that synergy with source and EQ preference is key to audio bliss.  I do not use amps but have thouroughly enjoyed unamped JH13 and JH16.

UM3X (unamped) is perhaps my favorite universal IEM to date.  Destoys W4 in every regard IMHO.  The instrument separation and overall detail is astonishing....yet there is a warm smoothness to it that is not fatiguing to your ears.  Westone hit a massive home run with this desingn.  I am currently playing around with a set of Triple Fi Pro's for $200 and the sound sig is actually very similar.  UM3X has a bit more articulation, is harder hitting and is a bit more closed in sounding but does it COMPLETELY PRO!   TF10 Pro requires added EQ to get the same big fullness of sound but they are a bit more open sounding and perhaps more musical.

If a gun was put to my head I would take UM3X, no question.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 64
I just received my UM3X RC today and I must say that they are excellent with the details and instrument separation. Now, they may not be as fun as the TF10s(my previous IEMs), but they are definitely not lacking anywhere.

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 64
Thanks for the comment on this.. I'm totally sold on the sound/performance of these from the many praises this IEM receives.. but again, would you have any comment on the build of this? durability/fit/comfort issues? :)

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 64
I didn't have the RC version but if the non-RC version is similar, then you should expect great durability, fit, and comfort. The cable is of good quality and I feel that they didn't need to change anything about it. Also, the um3x definitely is no slouch when it comes to details. The highs are more laid back than on the re0, but the details are definitely there. It responds well to EQ as well so tuning it to your preference is easy.

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 64
It's actually very comfortable once you get use to wearing it. For the first two days, I wore it semi-slanted and part of the IEM was rubbing against my ear and caused it to hurt after a while. After I found out why it was hurting, I fixed it and it's perfect now.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 64
great.. very nice to hear.. i'm trying to research what comes in the box right now but i'm pulling the trigger and getting this.. can't wait to have these with the x3 when it comes out.. 

one last question though seeing as i'm already convinced with the sound and build.. does this require an amp? if it does i'd be willing to get the E11 since it's very affordable but if not, then I'll just wait for the X3 so that I can play FLACs with it

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #13 of 64
This IS going to be my next purchase. I was looking into the SM3, and some others but, The Westone Stuff is so great and Customer Service is the best of the Best

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 64
the customer service is unfortunately one thing i will never experience. There are no westone dealers where I'm from and I need to have it shipped. T_T That's why I'm getting the RC and buying a couple of extra cables just in case, as soon as i can afford them =p but I'm reeeaally looking forward to these. :D

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 64
I've never needed to replace a cable on my UM2's. The cable build quality is superior to the old Ultimate Ears cables too, thats why people liked to use the UM1 cable with shaved pins on their TF10's and SF5's. 

Definitely don't hesitate, Westone will always find a way to take care of their people, regardless of policy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back