Considering the Beyer DT770, but I have some questions.
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zowzout123

New Head-Fier
First off, i'm coming from the AD700's which I like quite a bit.  They are comfortable and they sound great.  Of course my complaint is with the bass.  Its not that I find it terrible, I just would prefer more.  And im not looking for something to rattle my brain, but just more bass than the AD700's would be great.

That brings me to the DT770s, I must admit, I don't know much about them other than seeing them tossed around in the $300 or less mark, and I see them on Amazon for about $200 so I wanted to ask here about them.  The reviews I read said things like "For professional use" and stuff like "Since I work in radio these are great" or "Nice Flat Response".  

Being so new to headphones but wanting to make sure that I get a good pair, and understanding what people mean, can you guys give me a hand with what they mean, or what to expect from this pair of headphones?  Personal opinions?

My main uses are for gaming (I don't care if I can detect footsteps with pinpoint accuracy, but I want the games to sound good, i'm not much into FPS games but I like details in the games if that makes sense). I listen to music mainly on my PC, but also on my iPhone.  I don't have a sound card, nor do I have an amp but I am open to ideas on how to power these best, or if there's suggestions for other cans $300 or under.

The music I listen to varies quite a bit, I like indie, rock, rap , all sorts of stuff.  Rap takes a back seat to the other stuff but I still would like more bass than the AD700's but its not a deal breaking if its not much more.

Sorry if the post is all over the place, I appreciate any responses :)

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Reviewed by Mad Lust Envy. He's a console gamer but the headphones stay the same regardless the platform. I trust his review because I've also used the DT990's for gaming and now I use the HD 598's for competitive gaming.

Here's what he said about the DT 770's

Beyerdynamic DT770 (Pro 80 ohm)

ir

Sells for $180-200.

This is a heavy hitter. Very impressive for non-competitive gaming, especially if you wanna feel like you're in a movie theater. The bass is considerably super powered, and would make this a bad choice for competitive gaming. However, the soundstage depth and width is surprisingly large for a closed headphone. These also have the VERY best sense of distance when positioning sounds that I have heard. Nothing has toppled this headphone when it comes to that. Not the AD700, K701, or HD598. Too bad it's too wild in bass for hardcore FPS gaming. The finer details are pretty much sucked out because of the bass.

Like the other Beyers on this guide, they require amping to truly bring out their sound quality.

Fun: 9/10

Competitive: 6/10 (positional accuracy is the very best, but the bloated bass makes it hard to pick up details, so it hurts it quite a bit.)

Comfort: 8.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back