Considering taking my HD600 on a plane ride. Good or bad?
Oct 29, 2011 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wicked.ludicrous

Head-Fier
I'm going on a relatively short plane ride (~2 hours) next week and am debating as to whether or not I want to take my HD 600s. Obviously there's the sound leakage, so I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever taken their pair on a plane ride.

Would the plane noise drown out any or most of the sound leakage so that my neighbor wouldn't hear it?

Thanks

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 9
As you suggest, there's just too much noise -- in my experience -- to use open back 'phones.  I tried it once and put them away with a couple of minutes.  Now I always take my closed back ATH M50s.

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Nope... they are sonically transparent. You'll have to really crank it up to hear clearly. Bad choice.
You need M50 or other good closed back cans.
Or... try IEM's with Comply foam tips. That is your best bet for good isolation.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 9
You would have to turn up the volume so loud to be able to hear the music, that you will be left with 50% of your hearing ability afterwards. Plus, there's always the chance of people complaining about the leakage, because people WILL hear the music.

I used Etymotic ER4 on my last flight. Amazing isolation, I could listen on a comfortable volume level and could barely hear the background noise.  I would fully recommend IEMs over full sized in this case. I don't think I would be satisfied with the isolation of my HD25-1 on a plane ride for example now that i've experienced what my Etys can do. The difference is huge. And the HD25-1 is one of the best isolating headphones.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Best way to listen to music on an airplane is a good pair of IEMs. Speaking from experience, I've taken the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro on planes before, and while they block out some noise, I still had to crank the music up more than I should've. Taking the Panasonic HJE900s on a plane was a much better experience; I barely had to touch the volume.

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 9
IMO HD600s are not a good idea, they won't isolate you and they'll annoy your seatmate. As mentioned IEMs work well or noise canceling, Like the Bose QC-2 or 3 are much better suited for the job. I use Bose QC-2s when flying, I find them more comfortable for extended wear than IEMs.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 9
Bad idea, for the reasons stated above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back