Considering SR225 : Good for lo-fi rock as well? + General advice
Apr 30, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 19
Sweet, lots of comparisons here! You've all been very helpful!

daggerlee / XXhalberstramXX: I know what you mean. I've had some headphones that were better for indie than others though. Phones like the A900 (which is said to be quite forgivable) makes them sound better, not by hiding the flaws, but by bringing out the texture and detail of what's there, and of course making it fun to listen to rather than a very flat and boring presentation that some systems can give to stuff that's less than perfect.

Based on these comments, although I've admired them from afar for a while now ("electrifying guitar" sounds very cool), I think I'll hold off on purchasing the SR225s until I get a chance to buy them somewhere that I can return them if I'm not satisfied. I don't think I can let myself start up too much of a collecting obsession just yet, so I'm attacking the various types of cans strategically.
tongue.gif

From what I'm hearing though, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to get a cheaper model (ie. SR60 / 80) just for rock and stick with my A900s for hi-fi stuff? My key concern is, after all, the sound signature and how enjoyable the rock music is made, and everyone's convinced me to get Grado "something" based on that. I've heard the 60s are actually the most "Fun" out of the Grado line, and in the end, that's what I'm looking for. So what do you think? Am I crazy? Or crazy like a fox!?!

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 19
I think if you just start with SR60, because of the low price, you can't go wrong. You can get them for like USD 50 a bit used up here, so why not. And if you don't like the sound you can sell them for same price easy than other phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurashima
Sweet, lots of comparisons here! You've all been very helpful!

daggerlee / XXhalberstramXX: I know what you mean. I've had some headphones that were better for indie than others though. Phones like the A900 (which is said to be quite forgivable) makes them sound better, not by hiding the flaws, but by bringing out the texture and detail of what's there, and of course making it fun to listen to rather than a very flat and boring presentation that some systems can give to stuff that's less than perfect.

Based on these comments, although I've admired them from afar for a while now ("electrifying guitar" sounds very cool), I think I'll hold off on purchasing the SR225s until I get a chance to buy them somewhere that I can return them if I'm not satisfied. I don't think I can let myself start up too much of a collecting obsession just yet, so I'm attacking the various types of cans strategically.
tongue.gif

From what I'm hearing though, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to get a cheaper model (ie. SR60 / 80) just for rock and stick with my A900s for hi-fi stuff? My key concern is, after all, the sound signature and how enjoyable the rock music is made, and everyone's convinced me to get Grado "something" based on that. I've heard the 60s are actually the most "Fun" out of the Grado line, and in the end, that's what I'm looking for. So what do you think? Am I crazy? Or crazy like a fox!?!

May 1, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 19
I'll second that. Grados sound different from many other headphones, they have a pronounced immediacy and relatively little soundstage. So, it's love/hate. The nice thing about the SR60 is that it doesn't depreciate: it's a near zero-risk way to find out if you want to go on with the Grados. It will suit a lot of "lo-fi" stuff pretty well, I think, except where soundstage is a part of the feel-- i.e., for Pavement the SR60 will fit well, for the Go! Team, not so much. (I put quotes around lo-fi because there's a huge difference between a Bonnie "Prince" Billy, who though lo-fi is still generally recorded beautifully, and a proper indie band who record their shows on an '88 walkman. For them, you might want to stick with the Corolla stock speakers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back