Considering SR225 : Good for lo-fi rock as well? + General advice
Apr 29, 2006 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kurashima

Head-Fier
I've been looking for a set of headphones to use for my predominantly rock and pop-rock music, but for everything else as well (I'd say I'm about 50% rock / pop-rock, 25% pop, and the rest mostly jazz and electronic.) I want my music to just sound more "rocking" and involving, so I'm really interested in a good sound signature. Hence, I'm considering buying a pair of Grado SR-225s.

However, a lot of my music consists of more indie stuff (examples: Pavement, Guided by Voices, The Pillows, The Go! Team, etc.) Probably half of my music could be considered "lo-fi", including a lot of my favourite stuff.

So before I make any decisions, I have two questions:

Question 1: Does lo-fi stuff still sound good with these headphones? I don't mean that I want them to up the recording's quality or anything, but I want the (mostly rock) music to be enjoyable and very involving.

Question 2: Somewhat unrelated, but how's the bass impact on these things? I've been reading comments on that here that are all over the place. I'd like them to have some good impact. I like the bass my PX100s (the original dark versions) have, and if it's close to that I'll be happy.

I'd also appreciate it if people who have tried the following headphones that I own could compare them to the Sr225, especially in terms of bass and involvement/sound signature: Eggo D66s , PX100s , Apple In-Ears (I use EX71 tips with them) , and Audio-Technica A900s. I currently enjoy rocking out with the PX100s the most.

If you want to post anything else like your general opinions about the headphones, please do! Thank you.

[Edit]: Btw, my sources are iPod Nano / shuffle, and I'm not considering getting an amp at this point.

[edited for searchers]: I ended up buying Grado SR60s and they're fantastic (probably my favourite headphones now.) Very fun to listen to for rock, pop, and most electronic - keep these away from jazz and classical though. With hole modded 414 pads, the sound is very clear and the bass is quite present and surprisingly tight and punchy - I like it a lot! It brings all rock to life, including lo-fi stuff, which is just what I wanted. I've heard these are the most "fun" of the Grados, and that being what I love about them, I'm not upgrading. The sound is already great at this level though. A real bargain!

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 19
I own the PX100 and Grado SR225. So reading your comment i would say SR225. The good thing is that you willing to get an amp, really improve the sound of SR225.
Dont expect the massive BASS attack from them, but overal balanced and they are just so good with Rock.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 19
SR225 DOES have bass! Its not your typical subwoofer boomboom, but authoritive impact, deep and tight kicks, just the way bass should sound in rock.

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 19
based on what you've said, I would recommend a beyerdynamic dt 990 pro. Its much more forgiving of bad recordings than my 225s and a hell of a lot comfier. And the bass is more engaging for most recordings. The guitars don't have the same slash and burn sound as w/the 225s, although the 990s end up being more "fun" most of the time.

the only (big) problem is that its 250 ohm, so your nano might struggle with it (although your shuffle might not). Mine sound okay out of my iPod, but an amp helps (not that my old old TAH does as much as it should).

Overall, I like them better for lo-fi rock than the 225s. YMMV.

btw, i like my ety er-4s better for all music than either of these. the isolation and lick and stick grossness gets in the way, however.

oh, and i can't listen to my px100s after listening to the 990s. hence, they have fallen out of favor as of late. I should have my px75s (or is it ksc100?) built in a couple weeks though (!)

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Good to hear about the bass. From the way that one thread (about bass in the SR225s) went, it seemed like it wasn't as present as it should be, but it seems it's more about subwooder thump vs. punchy bass.

Blackmore: You mean more fun for rock music? Anyway, I'm not going to get an amp anytime soon - if anything, I'd choose between these phones and an amp for the A900s, which I don't think is too necessary - but it's nice to know that the potential is there.

Basically though, my requirements for purchasing now that I know that nothing's lacking are that it makes lo-fi stuff sound good too, so if it makes them less fun to by being too unforgiving then that's too bad. It's hard to find that kind of info out as most impressions are from high quality recordings, and probably the only way I can get my hands on these phones myself would be ordering online. I have enough hi-fi recordings as well, but my true love is indie.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies so far!

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 19
The 225 is great for rock music. To my ears, good bass is essential for rock and the 225s never disappoint me. I listen to all kinds of rock and have a bunch of older stuff and punk albums that aren't recorded too well. The 225s still do a good job. Yes, you'll hear some flaws in bad recordings, but that Grado groove makes it all worth while. If you feel the need, you can always go with a warmer amp and warmer cables to smooth things out even further.

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 19
As a fellow fan of indie, what fun is the music if you smooth over the lo-fi production?
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I've never owned the SR225s, I did make great use out of my pair of SR60s, and found them to be great with rock music of any type, even lo-fi poorly recorded stuff. I imagine the SR225 would only be an improvement.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
I own the PX100 and Grado SR225. So reading your comment i would say SR225. The good thing is that you willing to get an amp, really improve the sound of SR225.
Dont expect the massive BASS attack from them, but overal balanced and they are just so good with Rock.
eggosmile.gif

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I have 125's myself (and am looking to upgrade to 225's), and I think Grado's in general, are greatly suited to all rock. Mine don't cover anything up, and they have an upfront presentation that I have yet to experience from any other headphone/IEM that I've listened to.

Some say that Grado's are bright, and uncomfortable. I find them beautifully detailed; and with the stock bowl pads; listening sessions can last 4-6 hours. I find myself hearing details in familier music, that I've never heard before. Bass isn't boomy,fat, or slow; it's fast, impactful, and easy to follow. I like the more forward presentation with just about every type of music, and I find it impossible to NOT get into a tune with my Grado's. All this, with a nice 32-ohm impedence; great for running straight out of an ipod...and even better still, amped!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
The 225 is great for rock music. To my ears, good bass is essential for rock and the 225s never disappoint me. I listen to all kinds of rock and have a bunch of older stuff and punk albums that aren't recorded too well. The 225s still do a good job. Yes, you'll hear some flaws in bad recordings, but that Grado groove makes it all worth while. If you feel the need, you can always go with a warmer amp and warmer cables to smooth things out even further.

Exactly! I often use different amps for different sources, or even recordings. Sometimes (and I know the audio purists out there will cringe
tongue.gif
), I even use different EQ settings...
eek.gif
(GASP!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee
As a fellow fan of indie, what fun is the music if you smooth over the lo-fi production?
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I've never owned the SR225s, I did make great use out of my pair of SR60s, and found them to be great with rock music of any type, even lo-fi poorly recorded stuff. I imagine the SR225 would only be an improvement.

This is a good point. I have a computer generated CD; a copy of my friend's band's demo-CD. It is hardly audiophile quality (with lots of hiss), but the music and it's groove shine through. I can easily listen to it with my Grado's; with other cans, it's a chore. The thing I like best about them, is that they don't have that far-away, closed-in, muffled sound that alot of headphones I've heard in the past, had. IMO, Grado's bring you sonically closer, to the music, and it's drive; which will often stimulate a greater emotional/physical response. Bottom line is: go with the Grado's!
icon10.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 19
but you do know that lo-fi music is meant to be played over a lo-fi system. Preferably the stock stereo of a 1981 toyota corolla with no power steering that shakes between 60 and 65 mph and has two crappy speakers which barely work, but work kinda better if you put your hand down there to hold em in place. but listening to music is SO much fun while driving who knows where.

you get what i'm saying. just buy some crap $20 sonys and be done with it. you probably won't notice or appreciate any difference on slanted and enchanted and you're probably less likely to care than with the grados. just my 2 cents.

(btw, i'm a huge hypocrite)

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 19
SR225s are great, but I don't get any impact from the bass they put out. From all the comments here, I was expecting quite a bit of impact, whereas my HD-595s tend to have more impact. This is after at least 300 hours of listening to the SR225s. With eq'ing, I can make them have INSANE bass impact (the start of Down in It by NIN sounds like I have a GIANT, HIGH-QUALITY subwoofer when I eq the SR225s with an emphasis on bass), but by default, just about nada. My ears, and/or amp, and/or source are probably to blame for that, though.

UPDATE: How the hell could I have forgotten the KSC-35s? They are GREAT for rock, with strong (but perhaps a bit boomy) bass, and decent everything else. They are fine with Lo-Fi stuff, too - I am listening to some old Sonic Youth right now, and they sound better than my SR225s with this material, IMO (the SR225s lack the bass prescence). They aren't made anymore, though - the KSC-75s are their replacement, and from what I have read, are about the same, but with perhaps more bass. They can be had for less than $20. I personally regret buying the more expensive cans given the absolute deal the KSC-35s were.

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 19
I mean they just very good for ROCK
very_evil_smiley.gif
Fun is not a word I would use

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurashima
Good to hear about the bass. From the way that one thread (about bass in the SR225s) went, it seemed like it wasn't as present as it should be, but it seems it's more about subwooder thump vs. punchy bass.

Blackmore: You mean more fun for rock music? Anyway, I'm not going to get an amp anytime soon - if anything, I'd choose between these phones and an amp for the A900s, which I don't think is too necessary - but it's nice to know that the potential is there.

Basically though, my requirements for purchasing now that I know that nothing's lacking are that it makes lo-fi stuff sound good too, so if it makes them less fun to by being too unforgiving then that's too bad. It's hard to find that kind of info out as most impressions are from high quality recordings, and probably the only way I can get my hands on these phones myself would be ordering online. I have enough hi-fi recordings as well, but my true love is indie.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies so far!

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 19
I've got the PX100s for portable use, but the 225s absolutely trounce them for rock music. I like them just as much with lo-fi as with hi-fi rock, but for really bad recordings I prefer flat pads to the stock bowls. I haven't tried running the Grados out of my iPod though, since I don't have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

I've never gotten quite as much bass as I would like from the 225s. The bass is plenty deep and accurate, but doesn't hit all that hard. That's my one and only complaint, otherwise the sound is exactly what I want.

Overall, it sounds like the Grado sound is just what you're after. Given your cheap source and poor recording quality though, I'd seriously recommend going with the SR-60. They're not as accurate, but they'll make absolutely anything sound good.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by clatter
I like them just as much with lo-fi as with hi-fi rock, but for really bad recordings I prefer flat pads to the stock bowls. I haven't tried running the Grados out of my iPod though, since I don't have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

I've never gotten quite as much bass as I would like from the 225s. The bass is plenty deep and accurate, but doesn't hit all that hard. That's my one and only complaint, otherwise the sound is exactly what I want.

My 325i's have more in the bass region than the 225. In fact, the flats are just too much with the 325i. I have to stick with bowls on these whereas the flats are fine with 225.

Then again .... maybe I've got strange ears?
tongue.gif

Ian

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25
SR225s are great, but I don't get any impact from the bass they put out. From all the comments here, I was expecting quite a bit of impact, whereas my HD-595s tend to have more impact. This is after at least 300 hours of listening to the SR225s. With eq'ing, I can make them have INSANE bass impact (the start of Down in It by NIN sounds like I have a GIANT, HIGH-QUALITY subwoofer when I eq the SR225s with an emphasis on bass), but by default, just about nada. My ears, and/or amp, and/or source are probably to blame for that, though.

UPDATE: How the hell could I have forgotten the KSC-35s? They are GREAT for rock, with strong (but perhaps a bit boomy) bass, and decent everything else. They are fine with Lo-Fi stuff, too - I am listening to some old Sonic Youth right now, and they sound better than my SR225s with this material, IMO (the SR225s lack the bass prescence). They aren't made anymore, though - the KSC-75s are their replacement, and from what I have read, are about the same, but with perhaps more bass. They can be had for less than $20. I personally regret buying the more expensive cans given the absolute deal the KSC-35s were.

I did comparison between HD595 and SR225 two days ago, and for my ears SR225 had more bass impact than HD595. What the heck...

Okay, HD595 had more "body" on bass, but its muddy so it might work on rumbling and booming bass better even though they are not bass-heavy cans. Grado sounds more tighter and accurate, more impactfull.

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 19
I haven't heard the SR-225, but from what I recollect from the SR-60 it should be pretty good for "low-fi" material. They aren't revealing headphones overall, in fact I found them underdetailed as far as headphones typically go. Also, they're recognized as among the best rock cans, and rock in general tends to be poorly recorded, so there must be something to their ability to smooth over less-than-stellar recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back