Considering Amp upgrade from EMP, ~$2,000
Nov 20, 2008 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LarryS

100+ Head-Fier
I love my Earmax Pro, but I've been considering an amp upgrade for quite awhile now. I have the Sennheiser 600 w/ Equinox cable, and listen to mainly female vocals, a little rock, and have been spending quite a bit of time lately rediscovering the classicals. The rest of my equipment is in my sig.

What I am looking for is an amp with great transients, soundstage & air, and "accurate" bass. I once heard the Antique Sound Labs Twinhead Mark II, and I still cannot get over how painfully the snare drums snapped while listening through that amp.

I have not seen anything recent with the Twinhead lately, and it has evolved into a 2-chassis component with many tubes. I'm not sure I want that many tubes to maintain.

I've been out of the loop lately, so I'm asking y'all if you can recommend anything else in the $2,000 or so range that would fit the bill for me? I am not set on tubes or SS, though I do love my EMP sound.

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 7
With a budget like that, I would say Beta22. Don't think it'll be similar in sound to EMP at all, it's a detail king, but considering the specs of the amp (and the fact that I use that combination at home), it drives HD600 / HD650 like nothing else. Once you listen to HD650 with this amp, you'll know why there are so many who prefer HD600 over HD650 and why some say it's only because the HD650 isn't amped properly.
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 7
The Beta22 is a good choice - I will get around to finishing mine one of these days.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another newer amp you should look at is the Eddie Current Zana Deux. Eddie Current is the successor to Moth Audio, which you may have heard of. I've owned one since January and it is nothing short of spectacular with the HD-600. Wonderful with everything I've plugged into it save the K-1000, which it wasn't designed to drive, anyhow. It has all the details, transients and power you'd want, tight bass and a huge bandwidth. It's the closest I've ever heard tubes sound to solid state, but there's just enough warmth and smoothness to remind you that you're listening to tubes. Build quality is top notch and it also makes an excellent preamp.

If that might interest you, there are several lengthy threads here and an in-depth review at 6 Moons. Also, Craig is friendly, prompt and can answer the most detailed technical questions you have.

Also, 6C33C tubes are available and reasonable. That was the only qualm I had before buying, but I did my homework and am not terribly afraid of them becoming unavailable. The Zana is worth a look.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Everyone, thanks for the feedback.

FallenAngel:
The Beta 22 is DIY, right? No way for me. I can't solder worth beans, and I've have totally screwed up some DIY interconnects I was trying to make. All that silver wire down the drain...
frown.gif

Uncle Erik:
The Zana Deux is very attractive, both in terms of specs & looks. Thanks for pointing it out to me. It is definitely on my short list. I remember seeing it before on some pictures of home rigs, and being impressed by its looks. And the price is right...hmmm...

panda:
The cary is sweet, no doubt. But isn't it more in the $3,000 or so range, new? I'll have to think about it.

xrfxlove:
Even if/when I get a new amp, my EMP will never be for sale. It's just too adorable.
redface.gif
At some point I may hand it off to my daughter...but then again...I may just keep it to look at it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back