Connected house - IP device explosion
Jun 26, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 27
This reminds me of the famous IRC quote:
Quote:
<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 27
Currently I have connected:
 - iMac
 - MacBook Pro
 - iPhone

Currently, my roommate has connected:
 - Mac Pro
 - Airport Express (extends my Airport Extreme)
 - PlayStation 3

In a few months I'm going to be replacing the Airport Extreme and adding:
 - Drobo for Time Machine backups over the network (it's connected to my iMac right now)
 - FreeNAS Server (need to build this bad-boy)
 - iPad (might wait until iPad 3)

Also, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before my roommate gets an iPhone or some other smartphone. If the Apple TV ever gets 1080p playback that'll also be added to the list, maybe. That would mean that I'd eventually need to buy a TV when I move out and right now I don't think I could justify that.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to set up a wirelessly controlled lighting system that's controlled by an iPhone but doesn't require me to install any special fixtures? I have an apartment and while it'd be nice to be able to control the lights from my iPhone I doubt my landlords would let me do anything invasive. Or, even if they did, I don't plan on staying here past April.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #22 of 27
Only 1 device connected at all (wired or wireless) in my house, my computer. I have a smart phone, but I don't use wifi with it.

I guess I'm behind the times, or I just like simple setups.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to set up a wirelessly controlled lighting system that's controlled by an iPhone but doesn't require me to install any special fixtures? I have an apartment and while it'd be nice to be able to control the lights from my iPhone I doubt my landlords would let me do anything invasive. Or, even if they did, I don't plan on staying here past April.

Simplest route is to go with something that works over the existing power lines, without running additional wires.  X10 is the most common example, but there are better protocols like UPB or ZWave.  I use UPB.  It involves changing out your lightswitches for UPB switches, which can be linked into scenes, or controlled via a powerline interface controller.  Simplest UPB controller is the computer, with a usb connection device plugged straight into a wall outlet.  Not sure how compatible these are with macs though.  Once you can control the lights with the computer, you can control them remotely through the computer.  I use software called HomeSeer, which I can then connect to through my iphone.  Check out simply-automated.com, that's the stuff I use.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
Only 1 device connected at all (wired or wireless) in my house, my computer. I have a smart phone, but I don't use wifi with it.

I guess I'm behind the times, or I just like simple setups.

Make that 13 devices. Mine are stealing your wifi. :D

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #26 of 27
2 but wired only : a laptop and desktop. No wireless here even got rid of my phone and went hardline on that too. Don't trust the stuff.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #27 of 27
2 Nooks(standard and color)
3 Zunes
2 Xbox 360
1 PS3
1 Wii
1 PSP
1 Roku XDS
1 Bluray player
1 Samsung Galaxy S
1 Motorola Droid X
3 Laptops