Connected house - IP device explosion
Apr 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

johangrb

1000+ Head-Fier
I was very surprised to look at my DHCP pool last night and see close to 20 IP(V4) addresses taken. First I thought that my router has been hacked.

Then I started counting:
1 Macbook Pro, Macbook Air
1 Ipad, 1 Android 7" tablet, Ipod Touch.
2 Iphones, Nokia E51.
2 DVRs + Tivo
Xbox360, HTPC, DVD player (Oppo95), PS Audio Bridge.
2 Win7 PCs (1 gaming, 1 office)
1 Dell laptop (wife work).
1 NAS, 2 wireless printers (Laser  + MF Inkjet).

How they proliferate! How long before devices currently in the analog domain (e.g. amps, speakers, turntables etc.) joins the trend?

May 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 27
May 1, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 27
17 here

May 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 27

Quote:

wifi remote perhaps, or digital volume control

Ok
rolleyes.gif
, im going on about 10

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 27
7 computers.. (I have 2 computers, my parents have 2 computers each, and we have one for general use)
3 cellphones
1 Ipod touch
Internet TV,
Security system.. 6 wired cameras connected to a second router, 2 movable wireless versions..

13 connections. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 27
So far I think I'm probably in the lead:

3 MacBooks
1 windows server
4 squeezeboxes
4 proliphix ip thermostats
2 iPhones
1 blackberry
1 kindle
1 iPad
1 Nas
1 apple time capsule
4 sagetv extenders
1 xbox
1 AT&T microcell

25. There may be more, but can't think of any off the top of my head...

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 27
4 iPhone 4's
4 MacBook Pro's
1 Droid
1 iPad (1G)
1 AppleTV

Does AppleTV count? I think that connects to our WiFi. My sister, my brother-in-law, my mom, and I have iPhone 4's and my aunt has the Droid. My aunt, my mom, my brother-in-law and sister(they share one), and I have a Macbook Pro each. My sister owns an iPad(which she got for free) and she has AppleTV as well. That's a grand total of 11. Haha. We used to be a Blackberry family, but when the iPhone came to Verizon, we jumped off that ship. Jeez, I hated Blackberries.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
Forgot - my wife has two blackberries, one personal the other is for her corporate mail. 26!

26! SWEET JESUS!

Quote:
4 iPhone 4's
4 MacBook Pro's
1 Droid
1 iPad (1G)
1 AppleTV

Does AppleTV count? I think that connects to our WiFi. My sister, my brother-in-law, my mom, and I have iPhone 4's and my aunt has the Droid. My aunt, my mom, my brother-in-law and sister(they share one), and I have a Macbook Pro each. My sister owns an iPad(which she got for free) and she has AppleTV as well. That's a grand total of 11. Haha. We used to be a Blackberry family, but when the iPhone came to Verizon, we jumped off that ship. Jeez, I hated Blackberries.

I forgot, my mom has an iPod Touch. Make that 12.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 27
Holy crap, and I thought my:

2 iPads
2 iPhones
ATV
2 MacBook Pros
Mac Mini
and PC

connected through an Airport (soon to be Time Capsule) were bad.  I use wired connections where possible, however, as there are so many wireless points where I live everything is screwy, even on wideband.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Holy crap, and I thought my:

2 iPads
2 iPhones
ATV
2 MacBook Pros
Mac Mini
and PC

connected through an Airport (soon to be Time Capsule) were bad.  I use wired connections where possible, however, as there are so many wireless points where I live everything is screwy, even on wideband.

It seems that head-fi is a place where we can find people just like us, whether it is about our love for music or just our tech indulgences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back