Conklin Dairy Farm horror
Jun 3, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #17 of 38

Quote:
Except that he's hitting a cow, which cannot be held equal to another human being. I'm pretty sure I've killed ants for nothing, should I be squished. Anyway the punishment for mistreating /torturing animal is already defined.

Since it's already "defined" I guess that makes it fair and appropriate..
rolleyes.gif

I do realize that you are not saying that it's OK to act this way towards animals (I hope not at least). I just wonder some other things about you, but I don't want to start a flame war here. I'm out.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #18 of 38
For my country, up to 2 years of imprisonment and a fine 30000 euros which is a bit light I think.
I hope that the law is fair though, but I guess it depends on the country and your own value, personally I don't really suscribe to "an eye for an eye"
As for the ants, it was when I was a kid and didn't know better

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #19 of 38
Most distasteful. We depend on animals for many forms of utility, and these people depend on them for their lifelihoods ***. The animals should be treated with the respect they deserve, at least let them live comfortably in life before they are sacrificed ind death. It doesn't matter that these were animals. Unless they are ignorant that animals have a nervous system not unlike ours, they're doing this out of pure cruelty and is no different than performing such acts on a human being, with the sole difference in the consequences. Without scrutiny, I'm sure they would be just as capable of performing such acts on another human being.

I do not believe animal is an equal of a human, since we have the ability to control their fate but not the converse. Cruel acts like these can however be treated equal to that of acts against another human being since the crime reflects on the aggressor, not the victim.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #20 of 38
Plenty of cruelty is inflicted on billions of animals annually so that we can eat meat and eggs and drink milk. To give one example I saw recently, for every chicken you eat, one must die, as male chicks are all killed, being useless for egg production.  That means that not only are millions of chickens killed and eaten, but millions are killed for no purpose at all!  

The best thing to do, if you really care about this and want to make a difference is to work on becoming vegetarian, and then vegan yourself and encourage others to do so.  We can't ignore our own responsibility for supporting those who inflict cruelty -- to do so is folly.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #21 of 38

Quote:
Except that he's hitting a cow, which cannot be held equal to another human being. I'm pretty sure I've killed ants for nothing, should I be squished. Anyway the punishment for mistreating /torturing animal is already defined.

Mammals feel pain just like we do, they also share with us a certain version of how our emotions work. They also are totally helpless. Insects do NOT feel pain. They just don't have the brain function for it. It's not an excuse to squish everyone you see though.

Quote:
Plenty of cruelty is inflicted on billions of animals annually so that we can eat meat and eggs and drink milk. To give one example I saw recently, for every chicken you eat, one must die, as male chicks are all killed, being useless for egg production.  That means that not only are millions of chickens killed and eaten, but millions are killed for no purpose at all!  

The best thing to do, if you really care about this and want to make a difference is to work on becoming vegetarian, and then vegan yourself and encourage others to do so.  We can't ignore our own responsibility for supporting those who inflict cruelty -- to do so is folly.

That is a stupid argument. The problem is not eating meat or eggs and dairy products. We've been doing so for centuries and it is part of what made us the "intelligent" creatures that we are ( look up evolution and the relation between development of the skull / jaw / brain and eating meat ). The problem is how these animals are treated. If they were raised in the open air, relatively free to roam and eat grass or whatever they naturally eat, and killed without the agonizing pain and torture, I don't see the problem.

The battle for human animal farming will never be won if it's fought either by hippie wusses eating lettuce and brocoli all day long or PETA who would like us to think animals are just like people and farming, even done in a human, sustainable kind of way, is animal holocaust.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 38
One must feel extremely inadequate in oneself and a lack of of control in ones own life in order to be able to derive pleasure from such power over non threatening creatures. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 38
I can't believe this guy wants to be in law enforcement. How scary would it be to have this guy pull you over in the middle of the night, knowing that stomping on animals' heads, stabbing them in the face with pitchforks, breaking tails, putting calves in submission holds, and kicking them in the udders really gets his "blood pumping" or however he puts it. Well, I guess it's good he's not routinely murdering these animals, he just likes to hurt them until they cry out in pain.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #25 of 38

Quote:

Agreed. Humans are the only creature on Earth that have a choice whether or not to consume other animals.

Quote:
That is a stupid argument. The problem is not eating meat or eggs and dairy products. We've been doing so for centuries and it is part of what made us the "intelligent" creatures that we are ( look up evolution and the relation between development of the skull / jaw / brain and eating meat ).

Disagreed. Now that we have evolved into said "intelligent" creatures, we are able to get complete proteins and nutrients from non-animal sources. We are currently destroying our own planet's ability to sustain life in order to be able to farm and consume meat, so said intelligence could be debated.

Look up how our resources (mainly fresh water) are used for soybeans vs. cattle production for example, and how many humans each would feed per acre of land, I believe it is something like a 10 to 1 ratio. And don't get me started on how hog lagoons are destroying our underground aquifiers.

The bottom line is that we humans need to continue to evolve to ensure our ultimate survival, and that may preclude our neanderthal obsession with consuming the flesh of other animals.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #27 of 38
Jun 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
That is a stupid argument. The problem is not eating meat or eggs and dairy products. We've been doing so for centuries and it is part of what made us the "intelligent" creatures that we are ( look up evolution and the relation between development of the skull / jaw / brain and eating meat ). The problem is how these animals are treated. If they were raised in the open air, relatively free to roam and eat grass or whatever they naturally eat, and killed without the agonizing pain and torture, I don't see the problem.

The battle for human animal farming will never be won if it's fought either by hippie wusses eating lettuce and brocoli all day long or PETA who would like us to think animals are just like people and farming, even done in a human, sustainable kind of way, is animal holocaust.

Because of our large demands for cheap meat, animals are now factory farmed. It has nothing to do with what we've been doing for centuries (we've been involved in wars for centuries, so does what goes on in them make them "right"?) it has to do with taking responsibility for the consequences of our choices.  As we constantly want to deny our responsibility and have everyone else be responsible, nobody is being responsible.  We condone what we support in our choices about what we buy and allow to influence us, and have responsibility for the consequences of those choices, whether we believe it or not.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #30 of 38
Wow, as someone whose family has a FREE RANGE cattle pasture, this made me physically uncomfortable watching it.  I hate the idea of a roundup to brand cattle, but understand the tradition involved.  This though..... i suppose there are no words left that haven't already been said.

And isn't animal cruelty usually the first step serial psychopaths/predators embark on?  First a helpless animal then smaller/weaker humans next. 

But then again, the violently disturbed maniacs of society aren't as bad as your local stoner, right? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back