BRWAMP BRWAMP BRWAMP BRWAMP BRWAMP

b_PacMan_Color_back.jpg

Geez that was dumb. What in samhill does the "special young children's version" entail? Critique that, ya debating bunionheads of headphonedom!

(I'm in a weird, rebellious mood. Time for some DEVO...)

May 31, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #48 of 66
kerelybonto

Since you seem to be new here, I'll explain. Topics in the GENERAL forum do not necessarily pertain to headphones but often pertain to HeadFi and its members in general. You may often find birthday wishes, whatever is in the news and new technologies besing discussed here. If you are only interested in headphones, you may want to limit your reading to the forum called HEADPHONES. Meanwhile, if you're so down on people critiquing other peoples' posts, it's pretty damned hypocritical of you to be critiquing mine. If you're not interested in discussing the topic of any thread, including this one, please refrain from posting in it. That is what's referred to as "thread crapping."

ANYWAY...

I do appreciate that you guys all have an opinion about whether ot not the "congrats" posts have value as a reader but I was really hoping to prompt more of a discussion about why there are threads like that and what does it mean about us. I'm a little disappointed that no one responded to my "group membeship" theory--I wasn't expecting agreement on that point so I thought you guys might have some other ideas aboit. It seems like most of you think it basically boils down to "Enthusiasm with no one else to share the enthusiasm of your purchase with" -- is that about the size of it?

If so I do somewhat relate to that. I don't even tell most people I Know when I get some new audio component. It's almost embarassing but you know it's funny how people who don't share your enthusiasm for someone else's hobby will consider whatever they're doing a "waste" no matter how much that person enjoys it. I find that view to be very frustrating. Once someone finds out that your headphone cost over $200, the "you're and idiot for spending that much money on a headphone" completely overrides anything positive they could possibly experience about it. No longer is it even possible for them to think, "Hey wow, that sounds pretty good... a lot better than any headphone I've ever heard." And the most frustrating part? The first thing they want to know is how much it cost. It's as if when someone doesn't understand the intricacies of something the first thing they ask to judge it is its cost.

So maybe a part of it is so that we can say "Hey, look what I got" and not have people think you're a total idiot for spending that much money on what other people consider to be such a little thing.

What do you guys think?

May 31, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #49 of 66
kelly, your one strange introvert.

May 31, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
What do you guys think?

1clicknetshops_1687_167859

Freud helped us out here. Packed in a 3 x 3.75 hinged acrylic case. Sample Words: Neurotic, Personality, Type A, Obsessive, Driven, Chores, Defensive, Picky, Compulsive.....

wink.gif

May 31, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #51 of 66
LOL, rickG! I think we are on to something here....

May 31, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

So maybe a part of it is so that we can say "Hey, look what I got" and not have people think you're a total idiot for spending that much money on what other people consider to be such a little thing.

What do you guys think?

(puts on computer analyst hat)

I'd agree. How many here have taken friends for pointless rides in that new (even if its only new to us) car or truck? Not everyone relates to headphones, but almost everyone relates to a vehicle and to money.

I have a friend that owns a $3k mountain bike (and two other bikes) and the first thing that crossed my mind was "You're nuts", but I don't know much about mountain bikes. He bikes regularly and takes week long trips, so for him its totally justifiable. I figure his bike is my (someday) Senn580's or Kelly's 600's or Jude's power conditioner or (soon to be) Hirsh's Sony R-10's or Nick's Oris system.

Look what some people spend on golf equipment. And who do they talk about it with? Other golfers (and anyone that will stay awake
tongue.gif
- I live within 30 minutes of 7 golf courses.)

Obviously, we gravitated here because of a common interest and for many of us, this is the only place we can talk about that interest and still be considered somewhat sane. And sometimes we need the reassurance of that (in)sanity.

Group membership theory? Yeah, that's part of it. But most of us didn't come here looking for a group, as much as we just naturally became part of it because of that common interest.

(throws hat back on shelf)

What do I think, Kelly? I think your nuts! Welcome to the club!
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #53 of 66
This thread is pointless I think... so I'm gonna hijack it and say this:

Um, did anyone see that guy that stole my avatar? That's just wrong, to take what I've worked hard to obtain, and make off like its his own...

May 31, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #54 of 66
All I'm gonna say is...

Next time someone asks me how much the stuff costs, I'm gonna say

The HD580 costs $25 bucks
The Porta Corda costs $10
The SCD-XA777ES costs $300
etc...

tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 31, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #57 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
All I'm gonna say is...

Next time someone asks me how much the stuff costs, I'm gonna say

The HD580 costs $25 bucks
The Porta Corda costs $10
The SCD-XA777ES costs $300
etc...

tongue.gif

I've considered doing the same, Joe--bring everything down to what normal people consider "reasonable" so they get past the mental block enough to see if what you're into is any good.

I've taken to generally not answering people when they ask me what MY stuff costs--but they still think I'm an idiot for even looking at the Wadia. No one was impressed when I said I could get it below cost... since below cost was still $8500.

You know, I bet if I said I paid $300 for the XA777ES, some of my friends would still think I was an idiot. They'd respond, "FOR A CD PLAYER!??"

May 31, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

You know, I bet if I said I paid $300 for the XA777ES, some of my friends would still think I was an idiot. They'd respond, "FOR A CD PLAYER!??"

Yeah, but I bet those are the same guys that don't buy CDs and play 128bit or less MP3s through their Pioneer amp or $199 Sony shelf system.

...or...it might be some of my vinyl hard-core buddies that use whatever $15 cd-player they pick up at garage sales and have $2k turntables.
wink.gif

May 31, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #59 of 66
Good stuff costs money, if your friends can't see that, too bad for them, i never understood why some people act so secretive about how much they paid for something.

People tend to have a general idea on how well off you are based on the car your driving.

May 31, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Since you seem to be new here, I'll explain. Topics in the GENERAL forum do not necessarily pertain to headphones ... [etc]

kelly, I understand that. My rather obvious point was that any post which pertains directly to headphones on a forum about headphones will be much more relevent than one which does not. Your original post was not an open invitation for discussion; rather, you clearly were criticizing the 'congrats'-type posts.

It should be apparent that I have no problem with criticism. In fact, I am so much a critic that I found it necessary to point out the stupidity of questioning the validity of a type of post with an even less valid post. Usually I just ignore such things; from now on, I certainly will remember to.

That said, to prevent this from being another 'crapping' post, I'll give my opion on the original topic: I've bought $300-400 worth of audio components in the last few weeks, a very significant expenditure for me, and have not made any announcements. I don't feel the need to share my enthusiasm -- or whatever everyone has identified as the motive for posting an announcement. I also don't care if others decide to herald their purchases by jumping up and down, calling their grandmother, or kicking a puppy. I usually read their posts, and I'm happy that they enjoy their new stuff. I don't congratulate them, but I also don't demean their desire to share with the community that's set up for that very purpose.

I don't know why I just wrote all that. I don't know why I responded initially. To make you feel better, I won't add anything further to the thread.

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back