congrats on your purchase
May 30, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry

uhuhuhuuhuhh....uh huh huh huhuhuhuuhhuh.

Nicely in context,
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

May 30, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #18 of 66
Although I can see Kelly's point, I think it is easy to underestimate the sense of community these posts foster. And as was said before, who else in the world gives a sh** about our Ety's, AKG's, Senn's, cable xyz.... I think the key is to make the subject line descriptive ("just bought xyt") so that I can easily ignore it if I don't have time / energy.

And finally, this whole community is by definition built around materialistic fetishes, although the fact that we are dealing with music (and some people's worship of the glowing tube spirit) give it a transcendental / spiritual element.

May 30, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by setmenu

Nicely in context,
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

I think I am falling into my own trap here......... whatever that may
be
confused.gif

Where is this Going??
eek.gif

Setmenu

Innocent as charged....I think..

May 30, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Excellent choice, the Sugden is one killer amp--congrats kelly!

Aw crap I can't stand any of this foul caterwauling **** crap!!
<Pours bucketful of piss on Kelley for posting his news about a new purchase!>
Welcome dumb-bass!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #21 of 66
Just to clarify a couple of things about my intent. I'm not remotely trying to dictate what other people should or should not post. If it gives you happiness to post every purchase you make and seek approval, by all means carry on. Secondly, I'm well aware of my ability to choose to read or not read any of these posts. I only started THIS thread because I wanted to talk about it.

I think sometimes posts that say, "Hey guys, I didn't buy the K501!!" would be more productive. Then we could all post congrats... well, except people who wrongly think the K501 is any good of course.
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't have a Sugden yet. I suppose you can congratulate me on not having one until it arrives if it ever does.

May 30, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #22 of 66
Just pulling your chain kelly
wink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 30, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #23 of 66
kelly brings up a valid point, the forums are bloated with pointless threads that have no real content, they just want attention.

My response to those posters:
Who cares!?

I use my given right to ignore such threads.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Does anyone else find it a little sick that the most common threads on HeadFi tend to go something like:

Thread Starter: I just got ___new_product___ !!

Responder 1: Congrats!

Responder 2: Welcome to Team _____ !

Responder 3; Excellent choice. Congrats!

I wonder sometimes if our entire sense of "community" is based on needing social reward for our material purchases.

I'm a little freaked out by it actually. Am I alone in this?

Why are you so freaked about by this? What do you expect in a community of people who share a common interest that's anything but common?

You participate in IRC chat, right? In real time, you hang out in a chat room and tell people that you went to a hi-fi store and what you listened to. You tell people there what components you want and are planning to get. You tell people there what you've bought, too. Why? Because in the IRC chat, at the time you mention it, there are people in there who actually give a crap. Well, same thing goes here -- it's a forum full of people who share an interest in a relatively uncommon interest, and so, at least on matters such as these, you've got a bunch of people that can actually appreciate why you're excited about your purchase. You buy a piece of equipment....your wife or girlfriend doesn't fully understand your enthusiasm for it.....your brothers and buddies think you're a bit insane for spending X amount of dollars on this piece of gear......so you go to the people who understand. And in a place like Head-Fi, most of the people understand and appreciate what it is you've bought.

But it's not just about the material thing -- the common interest of community members here just happens to be an excuse sometimes to hang out in an online place. As the threads on and around 9/11 show, we'll gladly share our thoughts, ideas, feelings on other things, too.

I think you're missing the point.

Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&amp;Me
kelly brings up a valid point, the forums are bloated with pointless threads that have no real content, they just want attention.

My response to those posters:
Who cares!?

I use my given right to ignore such threads.
smily_headphones1.gif

And you.....what do you want? Why do you post here? Why do you chat on IRC? Really, man.....don't make it sound like you're above the point of such forums. Audio&Me, your comments, in the context of your participation in both, makes you at least a bit of a hypocrite.

May 30, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #25 of 66
There's a difference between "wow these are grate!" and "hey guys, my ____ arrived today, and this is what I like about it so far, and this is what I don't like about it..."

May 30, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&amp;Me
There's a difference between "wow these are grate!" and "hey guys, my ____ arrived today, and this is what I like about it so far, and this is what I don't like about it..."

So with every line you type in IRC, is it on the topic of audio? Is it helpful? I'm in that IRC chatroom a lot of times lately too, man. Have you not posted things like, "I want a Cary 308" with no in-depth explanation of why? Of course you do. Why? Because it's conversation about something you're interested in, and you're among a group of people who can appreciate your enthusiasm for something you want or bought without needing you to explain every reason why you want one every single time you mention it. Cripes.....here's a big hint for you.....go to mIRC......scroll up.....keep scrolling......read your comments......need I say more?

Again, right now you're being a hypocrite.

May 30, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #27 of 66
Jude

You missed the point of this thread. Of course I understand discussing hardware. But there's a great deal of difference between these two things:

kelly: Do you guys think the redbook performance of the XA777ES is on par with other $2000 street CD players? Has anyone compared them without considering SACD?

carlo: Here's a thread from a guy on Audio Asylum who liked the FMJ23T more.

(And we post these kinds of things on HeadFi as well as on IRC so I don't see the relevance of comparing IRC.)

and

thread starter: I got my CD player!!

responder: Congrats!!!

Yes, both discuss material things. However, I'm interested in actually discussing the material things while a lot of people seem to genuinely get a lot out of just sharing the happiness of their purchase.

May 30, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #28 of 66
There are people who can't give a **** about what other people have bought...

And then there are people who can't give a **** that this is the 100th time they're posting on a similar topic (100th audio purchase?
eek.gif
)

And then there are people who can't give a **** that this is the 100th time they're posting on a similar topic, but thought they could.
wink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 30, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #29 of 66
Frankly, I think you'll see a 'w00t! Just got my etys!' thread in the not-so-far future...
tongue.gif

May 30, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
.....And we post these kinds of things on HeadFi as well as on IRC so I don't see the relevance of comparing IRC.....

Exactly. That's my point. That it happens in both places, and you do it too. And I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. Where the heck else is someone going to express their enthusiasm about buying or trying new audio gear if not in places like Head-Fi, Audio Asylum or IRC?

Quote:

[01:20] * kelly_ spent most of today auditioning audio stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

What's so different about that? If your point is that it typically catalyzes further discussion, you're absolutely right. As someone else pointed out in this thread, that's the point.

If you ask me (which you didn't), I think in your opening post in this thread, you're just trying to be a hard-ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back