Confusion over the best of Headphones.
Jun 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 34
Im sorry but I really dont know how to explain it better than in my previous post, and I dont quiet understand what you mean by the characteristics of the cans, possibly that as I mentioned the characteristics will be for dance music? Anyway Im guessing that there isnt too much difference in ones you mentioned and as I was originally going for the M50s I guess ill go for them even though KG Jag wasnt too keen on them, either that or ill be spending my life researching the ins and outs of everything Headphones and not actually buying a pair :p

What I mean is, take the Grados as an example - they have a boost in the treble. You have to keep that in mind if you're trying to use them as a reference - everything will always be presented with a treble boost. That doesn't make them "wrong" but if you go into it assuming they're ruler flat, things that sound flat on them will be treble-light on flat equipment.

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #17 of 34
What an absolutely remarkable post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Which has convinced me to snap up a pair of M50s

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:
What I mean is, take the Grados as an example - they have a boost in the treble. You have to keep that in mind if you're trying to use them as a reference - everything will always be presented with a treble boost. That doesn't make them "wrong" but if you go into it assuming they're ruler flat, things that sound flat on them will be treble-light on flat equipment.

I thank everyone for their time and help.

As I said in the previous post, after read a little here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

I'm going to plump for the M50s

Thanks again,

Oh and I wont hit and run, I think ill hang around and maybe read a bit and let you know what I think of them once I get them
atsmile.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 34
In my personal experience, I've found Shure SRH840 = KRK KNS 6400 + a little more bass, FWIW.
Quote:
Good neutral-ish headphones in your price range (if you were in the U.S.) and that do not require an amp:

Shure SRH 840 (or 440)

AKG K 240 Studio

KRK KNS-6400

Sony MDR 7506 or 7510

Sony MDR V6

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #22 of 34
M50 does need an amp to sound good IMO. Unamped, I would rather go with Sony V6/MDR-7560, Shure SRH440 or KRK KNS8400. Shure SRH840 is also a decent choice for unamped use It will sound somewhat anemic without proper amplification, but better than unamped M50.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #23 of 34
I don't believe the M50s really suit your purposes at all, then... from what I've always heard, they are not designed to be "neutral" headphones... take a look at KG Jag's post above in post #20.

Quote:

Ok here goes,

I will be using whichever set I get for making dance music and creating sounds from scratch using Ableton Live ( Not playing Live, sorry about the confusion ), so critical

listening is key. I will be relying on the headphones to ensure my final mix will be true to how I intended and not altered ( or

at least the less the better ) by artificial enhancements or built in EQs so maybe reference monitors is what I am after. At the moment I'm using a pair that seem to generally

alter what  I make, and try make it sound nicer. The problem is that when the final mix is played through another set of

speakers which are not so forgiving, what I have missed now stands out and sounds horrible, dull sound, too much bass etc. So

basically Id like confidence in what I create, to sound how it should wherever its played. Listening to other music through

them will come secondary as will the looks and ill also forgive any comfort issues as it will only act as a reminder to take a break. I

do not own an amp or indeed any other equipment besides some very cheap, very small speakers, a computer ( no sound card only

onboard sound )  and a midi keyboard. My price range is very low, around 150 dollars, though I could look at options up to 200 as I

may find a used/cheap pair on Ebay. It will be impossible for me to try out any of your recommendations, so whatever you do

recommend I will buy, no pressure :)

I guess my order of preference would be

1. Little or no sound enhancements
2. Able to define sounds across a broad range

much further down the list

3. Aesthetics, ( sad really )
4. Comfort

I'm English but I live in a remote area of Finland so whatever I buy will be over the internet.

Your replies are of much help and valued, thanks again.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:
M50 does need an amp to sound good IMO. Unamped, I would rather go with Sony V6/MDR-7560, Shure SRH440 or KRK KNS8400. Shure SRH840 is also a decent choice for unamped use It will sound somewhat anemic without proper amplification, but better than unamped M50.

Quote:
Good neutral-ish headphones in your price range (if you were in the U.S.) and that do not require an amp:

Shure SRH 840 (or 440)

AKG K 240 Studio

KRK KNS-6400

Sony MDR 7506 or 7510

Sony MDR V6

Thanks for all the replies and advise, Ill go research the mentioned alternatives then ill get back.

Some of the M50 bundles they do on Amazon come with a portable amp, would the above alternatives still be a better option? I seem to be going on about the M50s alot, but ive only heard good things about them in every review ive seen.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Thanks for all the replies and advise, Ill go research the mentioned alternatives then ill get back.

Some of the M50 bundles they do on Amazon come with a portable amp, would the above alternatives still be a better option? I seem to be going on about the M50s alot, but ive only heard good things about them in every review ive seen.

Instead of a reasonably true (neutral) EQ, the M50's give you emphasised bass & treble and recessed mids.  I understood you to say that you needed a neutral sound signature that lets you hear your music as it was recorded.  However, if an unbalanced "V" shaped EQ, as offered by the M50, is really what you want--buy them.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 34
Currently bidding for a second hand, 1 month old, like new set of Shure SRH440

59 dollars with 10 dollars shipping.

I hope I made a good choice. Id love to have gone for one of the others you mentioned but money is tight and the missus has put a clamp on my spending.
frown.gif

There was others at the same-ish price that I found on Ebay/Amazon

Shure SRH 840 --- 152 dollars new

AKG K 240 Studio --- 70 used 88 new

KRK KNS-6400 --- 99 new

Sony MDR 7506 ---  99 new 85 used

Sony 7510 --- 130 new

Sony MDR V6 --- 75 new

I thought if all the suggestions were similar I may as well go for the cheapest I could find out of the bunch, but if I could have chosen one without price concerns I think I would have gone for the

Shure SRH 840 or the Sony MDR V6, probably the Shure SRH 840

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:
Currently bidding for a second hand, 1 month old, like new set of Shure SRH440

59 dollars with 10 dollars shipping.

I hope I made a good choice. Id love to have gone for one of the others you mentioned but money is tight and the missus has put a clamp on my spending.
frown.gif

There was others at the same-ish price that I found on Ebay/Amazon

Shure SRH 840 --- 152 dollars new

AKG K 240 Studio --- 70 used 88 new

KRK KNS-6400 --- 99 new

Sony MDR 7506 ---  99 new 85 used

Sony 7510 --- 130 new

Sony MDR V6 --- 75 new

I thought if all the suggestions were similar I may as well go for the cheapest I could find out of the bunch, but if I could have chosen one without price concerns I think I would have gone for the

Shure SRH 840 or the Sony MDR V6, probably the Shure SRH 840

They are all good and will do the job that you want to accomplish.  The classic V6 is probably not quite as good as the others.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

They are all good and will do the job that you want to accomplish.  The classic V6 is probably not quite as good as the others.

I ended up paying 68 dollars and 10 for the shipping. So Im happy with 78 dollars, I just hope Im as happy with the condition they are in with them being used, though the seller did state they were like new still in the box etc. Ill report back when Ive received them, though I know ill be happy with the quality and sound with all the expert advice ive read and been given on this site.

I thank you all for the time you all gave steering me in the right direction. Especially KG Jag.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:
I ended up paying 68 dollars and 10 for the shipping. So Im happy with 78 dollars, I just hope Im as happy with the condition they are in with them being used, though the seller did state they were like new still in the box etc. Ill report back when Ive received them, though I know ill be happy with the quality and sound with all the expert advice ive read and been given on this site.

I thank you all for the time you all gave steering me in the right direction. Especially KG Jag.

You got the 440?  If so, keep in mind that the (replacement) 840 ear pads fit them and increase their comfort.

Good luck and let us know how they work for you.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:
Well, Im not exactly rolling in it, and from what I gather the M50s were touted as being good quality at an excellent price. If there are similar cans for the same price range Id love for you to recommend any, or are the Shure SRH 840 the only ones?

Like I say they will be used in my computer as a hobby, though the sound obviously matters. If Im aloud to be greedy
popcorn.gif
, id love them to look nice and not be so heavy as ill wear them outside with my MP3 player, though this is only of secondry importance .

Well that brings us to the question of features/needs verses sound quality. I have a pair of Shure SRH-840's and they are quite heavy, have exposed wires, and are not as flexible as the M50's making them less suitable for portability. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back