Confusion over the best of Headphones.
Jun 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

HiPie

New Head-Fier

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Hey guys,

Having scouted around for info  regarding a low price pair of monitoring earphones my search brought me here. I soaked in all the info I could before coming to the conclusion that the above set of cans would be my best option. One thing worried me though, which was on this page of the site http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear it mentions the set twice, once at rank 3 and once at rank 39. I was just wonder if there was a difference in the pairs?

Also could anyone tell me if im about to be robbed by paying US $159.02 for a set of 

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

sorry copy paste.

Thanks for any forthcoming replies.

Ps. I intend to plug them into my computer, no amp, for work with Ableton. Oh and I tried to bump another thread rather than start a new on with quite a petty question, but it seems to be lost in the mire so their was no further replies.
redface.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 34
I think the S is just the straight cable version. I don't believe that the M50 and the M50S sound different, it's just that they happened to be different model numbers because of the different cables(coiled vs straight cable). I think headfi needs to put those two threads combined into one.

Where are you from? I've seen those headphones go for $130-ish from Amazon if you're in the US.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:
I think the S is just the straight cable version. I don't believe that the M50 and the M50S sound different, it's just that they happened to be different model numbers because of the different cables(coiled vs straight cable). I think headfi needs to put those two threads combined into one.

Where are you from? I've seen those headphones go for $130-ish from Amazon if you're in the US.

That's all correct.

I'll add that if you are looking for something neutral or neutral-ish in a monitoring can, the M50 +/- S is not the best choice.  Cans like the nearly equally priced Shure SRH 840 are a better fit.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 34
Im in Europe and the prices I gave are the best from EBAY, although there were pairs selling used for less, but only a little. I always thought of Amazon as a book and game place, so I may have to take a look. Could you just verify that I have chosen a good pair? Although Im only a hobbiest, Im tired of what I do sounding terrible after burning it to cd or uploading it to soundcloud as the speakers I have dont give a true representation what the song really sounds like across the board.

Thanks again for your reply.
 Oh, and If I have chosen badly, would you be so nice as to point me in the right direction, thank you.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

That's all correct.

I'll add that if you are looking for something neutral or neutral-ish in a monitoring can, the M50 +/- S is not the best choice.  Cans like the nearly equally priced Shure SRH 840 are a better fit.

Well, Im not exactly rolling in it, and from what I gather the M50s were touted as being good quality at an excellent price. If there are similar cans for the same price range Id love for you to recommend any, or are the Shure SRH 840 the only ones?

Like I say they will be used in my computer as a hobby, though the sound obviously matters. If Im aloud to be greedy
popcorn.gif
, id love them to look nice and not be so heavy as ill wear them outside with my MP3 player, though this is only of secondry importance .

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 34
The M50 is a often a polarizing can on these boards.  It is very good at what it does--offering a "V" shaped EQ with prominent bass and recessed mids.  It also has very good build quality (better than the Shure) but does not have a detachable cord (like the Shure).  If that is what you want, it's a good choice.  Others just don't want that sound signature and/or want a detachable cord, etc..

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:
Well, Im not exactly rolling in it, and from what I gather the M50s were touted as being good quality at an excellent price. If there are similar cans for the same price range Id love for you to recommend any, or are the Shure SRH 840 the only ones?

Like I say they will be used in my computer as a hobby although the sound obviously matters, and if Im aloud to be greedy, id love them to look nice and not be so heavy as ill wear them outside with my MP3 player, though this is only of secondry importance .

You might want to check these buying guides before you decide:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:
The M50 is a often a polarizing can on these boards.  It is very good at what it does--offering a "V" shaped EQ with prominent bass and recessed mids.  It also has very good build quality (better than the Shure) but does not have a detachable cord (like the Shure).  If that is what you want, it's a good choice.  Others just don't want that sound signature and/or want a detachable cord, etc..

Quote:
 You might want to check these buying guides before you decide:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Thanks a lot for the replies.

The detachable cord isnt so much of a big deal though I would like the sound to be the best I can get for the price range I have, which isnt a great deal, Ill go check out the links now and let you know how I get on.

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 34
Well that didnt help matters. Now Im totally lost. The Shure you mentioned are sadly out of my price range, and the ones I was going for are not even mentioned, though  from what I have researched, the inferior, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 are. Going for the entry level is the minimum and maximum for me and so far the

Grado SR80i

are looking the best bet. The only thing is, is that they are Supra-aural, or am I wrong? Id prefer Circumaural. Is there such a big difference between  open and closed cans? So much to read
frown.gif
I just want a pair that will give the clearest sound across the range so that all the sounds dont blur into one mess, I guess thats what  sound stage is. And to top it all off
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/b0/100x100px-LS-b02b8e77_DenonAH-D7000.jpeg[/img]
KG Jag put me off my original pick of  M50s. With so many to choose from I feel this is getting to be like a lucky dip.
frown.gif

though Im sure any will sound better than my Sony retro DJ cheapo pair I have at the moment.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
Well that didnt help matters. Now Im totally lost. The Shure you mentioned are sadly out of my price range, and the ones I was going for are not even mentioned, though  from what I have researched, the inferior, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 are. Going for the entry level is the minimum and maximum for me and so far the

Grado SR80i

are looking the best bet. The only thing is, is that they are Supra-aural, or am I wrong? Id prefer Circumaural. Is there such a big difference between  open and closed cans? So much to read
frown.gif
I just want a pair that will give the clearest sound across the range so that all the sounds dont blur into one mess, I guess thats what  sound stage is. And to top it all off
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/b0/100x100px-LS-b02b8e77_DenonAH-D7000.jpeg[/img]
KG Jag put me off my original pick of  M50s. With so many to choose from I feel this is getting to be like a lucky dip.
frown.gif

though Im sure any will sound better than my Sony retro DJ cheapo pair I have at the moment.

Where do you live (you don't say in your post related profile)--the UK?  I ask because my knowledge of prices pertain to U.S. prices, as do the buying guides I posted.

Open cans have open ear cups and thus tend to leak sound more than closed cans.  Open cans generally do not isolate you from outside sounds as well as closed cans.  Closed cans (in similar price ranges) tend to have stronger bass, while open cans usually feature a superior sound stage.

Circumarual tend to isolate the best; the rest pertains to individual comfort factors that will vary from individual to individual.

Once you decide what type or types of cans will work for you, you have to decide what will work well with the equipment you have that will be driving them.  In your case, you need them to be very easy to drive, which means that you are looking at those with a "1" rating on the buying guides.  This will reduce your choices.

The final--and probably most important question--is what sound signature do you prefer?  When I hear "monitoring" that means something reasonably neutral to me.  But there are a number of other choices.  Some here love bass heavy cans.  Others like the bright--sitting on the stage with the rock bank--sound signature of the Grado SR line.  Others want smooth mid-centric cans.  Others like emphasis on bass and treble with recessed mids.  You'll have to tell us which is your cup of tea.

With all this answered, we can make recommendations (limited perhaps by limited knowledge of prices where you live) of what cans are likely to be best for you.

One last caveat--there is not substitute for wearing and hearing the can yourself, especially with your music and your equipment.  This is because there is no getting around the fact that parts of headphone selection are subjective and personal.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 34
I wanna bring up the fischer fa 003/brainwavz hm5/lindy or $50-$80(shipping affects it a lot) unbranded version at jay car.I think its better than most headphones under $200 unless you have to have a lot of bass.Its really comfy and isolates well,its big though.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
I wanna bring up the fischer fa 003/brainwavz hm5/lindy or $50-$80(shipping affects it a lot) unbranded version at jay car.I think its better than most headphones under $200 unless you have to have a lot of bass.Its really comfy and isolates well,its big though.

Quote:

Where do you live (you don't say in your post related profile)--the UK?  I ask because my knowledge of prices pertain to U.S. prices, as do the buying guides I posted.

Open cans have open ear cups and thus tend to leak sound more than closed cans.  Open cans generally do not isolate you from outside sounds as well as closed cans.  Closed cans (in similar price ranges) tend to have stronger bass, while open cans usually feature a superior sound stage.

Circumarual tend to isolate the best; the rest pertains to individual comfort factors that will vary from individual to individual.

Once you decide what type or types of cans will work for you, you have to decide what will work well with the equipment you have that will be driving them.  In your case, you need them to be very easy to drive, which means that you are looking at those with a "1" rating on the buying guides.  This will reduce your choices.

The final--and probably most important question--is what sound signature do you prefer?  When I hear "monitoring" that means something reasonably neutral to me.  But there are a number of other choices.  Some here love bass heavy cans.  Others like the bright--sitting on the stage with the rock bank--sound signature of the Grado SR line.  Others want smooth mid-centric cans.  Others like emphasis on bass and treble with recessed mids.  You'll have to tell us which is your cup of tea.

With all this answered, we can make recommendations (limited perhaps by limited knowledge of prices where you live) of what cans are likely to be best for you.

One last caveat--there is not substitute for wearing and hearing the can yourself, especially with your music and your equipment.  This is because there is no getting around the fact that parts of headphone selection are subjective and personal.

Ok here goes,

I will be using whichever set I get for making dance music and creating sounds from scratch using Ableton Live ( Not playing Live, sorry about the confusion ), so critical

listening is key. I will be relying on the headphones to ensure my final mix will be true to how I intended and not altered ( or

at least the less the better ) by artificial enhancements or built in EQs so maybe reference monitors is what I am after. At the moment I'm using a pair that seem to generally

alter what  I make, and try make it sound nicer. The problem is that when the final mix is played through another set of

speakers which are not so forgiving, what I have missed now stands out and sounds horrible, dull sound, too much bass etc. So

basically Id like confidence in what I create, to sound how it should wherever its played. Listening to other music through

them will come secondary as will the looks and ill also forgive any comfort issues as it will only act as a reminder to take a break. I

do not own an amp or indeed any other equipment besides some very cheap, very small speakers, a computer ( no sound card only

onboard sound )  and a midi keyboard. My price range is very low, around 150 dollars, though I could look at options up to 200 as I

may find a used/cheap pair on Ebay. It will be impossible for me to try out any of your recommendations, so whatever you do

recommend I will buy, no pressure :)

I guess my order of preference would be

1. Little or no sound enhancements
2. Able to define sounds across a broad range

much further down the list

3. Aesthetics, ( sad really )
4. Comfort

I'm English but I live in a remote area of Finland so whatever I buy will be over the internet.

Your replies are of much help and valued, thanks again.

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #14 of 34
You'll have to know the characteristics of whatever cans/speakers you get in order to use them as a reference. For example you mention that your current projects have too much bass, so that leads me to believe whatever you're using doesn't have enough bass in it's presentation. Make sense?

In terms of what headphones I would suggest - get something designed for monitoring. Like the M50, HD280Pro, MDR-V6, etc.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
You'll have to know the characteristics of whatever cans/speakers you get in order to use them as a reference. For example you mention that your current projects have too much bass, so that leads me to believe whatever you're using doesn't have enough bass in it's presentation. Make sense?
In terms of what headphones I would suggest - get something designed for monitoring. Like the M50, HD280Pro, MDR-V6, etc.

Im sorry but I really dont know how to explain it better than in my previous post, and I dont quiet understand what you mean by the characteristics of the cans, possibly that as I mentioned the characteristics will be for dance music? Anyway Im guessing that there isnt too much difference in ones you mentioned and as I was originally going for the M50s I guess ill go for them even though KG Jag wasnt too keen on them, either that or ill be spending my life researching the ins and outs of everything Headphones and not actually buying a pair
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back