Confused--Need Recommendation for iPhone 4 IEM
Aug 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BenR16

New Head-Fier
OK I've searched through the threads, read a ton--looked up reviews etc., and I'm still a bit confused on what would be a good IEM for my iPhone.

My music listening style leans towards an eclectic mix of latin, jazz, vocals and classical. I have been known from time-to-time to listen to R&B as well as Pop.

I'm looking for an IEM that allows me to also answer calls on my iPhone, faithfully reproduces my music and doesn't have overpowering bass and has decent separation. I figure if I want to kick up the bass I will adjust the EQ settings for that in the iPhone's settings. When I'm not listening to them on my iPhone I plan to use them on my laptop to listen to music.

I had purchased a set of ZBudds but took them back after reading some threads--didn't want a lot of heavy bass.

Right now I am trying out the Klipsch Image S4i that I purchased today. So my upper price range is probably $150.00, but I'd like to keep it in the ballpark of the S4i.

Do I need to burn in these Klipsch to get a better sense of what they will sound like?

Are there other IEMs that would be better or that I should be looking at as better alternatives?

Are there IEMs that don't have the mic/controls that would be better and would using such an IEM produce acceptable results if paired with the Griffin or Shure iPhone control adapters?

Thanks

Ben

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 8
I think there should be some good lists around here somewhere for mic enabled IEMs. IMO, you may just want to get a cheaper M9P (mic enabled) for ~$20, and then a nicer set without the mic (so you dont have to limit your options. I really do have to recommend the Radius DDM if you go that route (look it up around here), it's the best thing I've heard.

Who knows, you may find the M9 satisfying enough on its own and not have to spend all that money. I've never heard them myself, but I can't recall ever reading a bad review, so there must be something good there. 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: If you're new here, one last thing. I came here not looking for a bass monster IEM. The truth is, you need more bass from an IEM than from a full size headphone pair or speakers. Keep an open mind. Even the bassiest headphones here (with the exception of a few) won't drown you in uncontrolled bass.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi there, I do not know many IEMs that can be used with iphone 4 with control and mic and at the same time sound decent but once I auditioned this Japanese headset called Radius

radHeadphones TALK & REMOTE RK-AHF11

for iphone 4 at ALO Audio (USA)
 I am not sure if this are  still available but Where are you at?

I know this company selling Radius products might be carrying them as well. By the way, this sounded fabulous with my iphone 4.

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Welcome.html

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I think there should be some good lists around here somewhere for mic enabled IEMs. IMO, you may just want to get a cheaper M9P (mic enabled) for ~$20, and then a nicer set without the mic (so you dont have to limit your options. I really do have to recommend the Radius DDM if you go that route (look it up around here), it's the best thing I've heard.

Who knows, you may find the M9 satisfying enough on its own and not have to spend all that money. I've never heard them myself, but I can't recall ever reading a bad review, so there must be something good there. 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: If you're new here, one last thing. I came here not looking for a bass monster IEM. The truth is, you need more bass from an IEM than from a full size headphone pair or speakers. Keep an open mind. Even the bassiest headphones here (with the exception of a few) won't drown you in uncontrolled bass.

What a coincidence, we both posted a post about Radius but different earphones simultaneously.
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 8
I didn't know radius made a mic'ed IEM. Does it use the same dual driver setup? (If so, I'm in for one 
tongue.gif
).

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I didn't know radius made a mic'ed IEM. Does it use the same dual driver setup? (If so, I'm in for one 
tongue.gif
).

By looking at their website, it looks like  Radius makes lots of products for apple iphone, ipod even ipad.

http://www.radius.co.jp/tabid/55/Default.aspx

But no, as far as I understood Radius DDM is the only earphone carrying dual dynamic driver inside. Rest of them are just single driver unit. It would be crazy if Radius will make DDM version with the mic for iphone 4.

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 8
The DDM is their first and as far as I understand only dual dynamic driver IEM.

If you want something with a mic, you could either go with the new etymotic MC5s that are coming out which should be pretty decent, or you could do what I always suggest: get a seperate microphone attachment that lets you plug in the headphone of your choice, like one of these: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/accessories/14657fdf36269d0c/index.html

The only catch is that the cable length can become a bit crazy. Or you could do what I do, and just never answer calls : D

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm not a big fan of the iPhone 4 as a source, it sounds decent with my Klipsch S4i's as long as I use treble boost EQ (and I'd recommend you try that). Honestly if this is your main source I wouldn't spend much more, and the Klipsch aren't a bad choice because they're comfortable and the mic + controls are really convenient with the iPhone. 

gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back