Confused... DT770 question
Jun 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

esch75

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been looking for a new pair of headphones for a while and have decided that the DT770 seems to best fit my needs. I'm not really an audiophile but I'm currently using Sennheiser HD595s which have lost quite a bit of volume in the left ear. I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones with good sound quality along with good isolation. They will be primarily used with my desktop computer which has very loud fans, and I want to be able to block the noise of the fans out. The HD595s, being open, do not do this at all. I was also looking at the Denon D2000 but ruled it out as it is apparently poor at isolating outside noise. I'm also interested in comfort as they will be used for extended periods of time.

Now, for my question about the DT770. There are multiple different versions of this, but from what I have read the general consensus seems to be that the 2005 edition is, overall, a better pair of headphones. Is the "2005" edition of these headphones identical to the "Premium" edition? I have searched quite a bit for the 2005 edition and am unable to find headphones by this name in any store. From what I've been able to gather, the "premium" edition seems to be the same. I'd just like to know whether or not they are, before I go and buy anything.

This is the premium editon I'm talking about - beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*DT 770 Premium 250

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 16
Yes, the DT770 premium edition in your link is the same as the so called 2005 edition.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 16
The 80Ohm and 250Ohm sound different from each other. The 250Ohm has more treble and far less bass, while the 80Ohm had a little less treble and more bass. Bass on the 80Ohm seems to have a life of it's own at times.

I prefer the sound of The 250Ohm (Premium) to the 80Ohm (Pro) since it sounds more refined and controlled.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the DT770 premium edition in your link is the same as the so called 2005 edition.

Yup, he's correct on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 80Ohm and 250Ohm sound different from each other. The 250Ohm has more treble and far less bass, while the 80Ohm had a little less treble and more bass. Bass on the 80Ohm seems to have a life of it's own at times.

I prefer the sound of The 250Ohm (Premium) to the 80Ohm (Pro) since it sounds more refined and controlled.

I've heard and read a lot about this as well. I've never tried the Premium edition before or the 250ohm for that matter. I've owned and listened to the DT770 Pro (80 ohm) for 2 years now though. I believe they're pretty bass heavy in that department, which sort of makes lower quality music sound pretty good. They might lack in other departments though.

If you're not an audiophile, these headphones will nonetheless be great for you. I believe they're a greater buy than the HD595's in terms of value, even though I do prefer open headphones myself. However, I've always found a need for noise isolation as it's not quiet where I usually am.

As for noise leakage, the DT770s are much better than the Denons in my opinion, since the Denons have leather pads and looser clamping from the band. I've only compared and tried both the DT880 Premium and DT770 pros extensively. In my opinion though, the DT770 Pro have much tighter clamping and better noise isolation. Well the DT880 are semi-open so that's a no brainer. However, if they were closed, I believe the DT770 pro would probably still be bette in noise isolation due to the tighter clamping. Some might find this uncomfortable or fatiguing though, unless they're used to it or don't mind such pressure. This can probably be fixed however over time as it's worn in. Otherwise, you can leave it clamped onto something decent sized to stretch out the band a bit earlier on.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 16
The headbands of Beyer dt770, 880, and 990 are all easily bendable by hand. Mine are all bent to mold to my head throughout their length.
The Denon earpads are vinyl, not leather. Ditto their headband covering.

To O.P. - Two excellent choices available from Beyer Manufaktur are
a) dt990/600 ohm (an open headphone)
b) dt770/600 ohm, suggest you choose the Gen. Leather Earpad option. These have a bass-mids-treble balance that makes longtime Beyer users marvel.

If you prefer a tube amp for your Beyers - I strongly recommend the Ming Da MC a84c07 ($385 in USA) - replace stock tubes with Mullard (orig.) EL84 tubes. I use Raytheon 5751/windmills in place of 12ax7. For a SS amp - I continue to use the "old" Corda Prehead MkII, or Corda HA2 MkII.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headbands of Beyer dt770, 880, and 990 are all easily bendable by hand. Mine are all bent to mold to my head throughout their length.

may I kindly ask for a tutorial please?

my headband has never been really round to begin w/, and it pushes one side of my skull slightly more than the other
devil_face.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would look at either the [..] DT770 pro 250 ohm

w/ its coiled cable, great advice here
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 16
I was interested in getting a pair of Manufaktur 770s but I'm not sure what ohmage to get them in. My amp is a CA 540 V2 that has a HP ohm range of 32-600 ohms but I notice, when using my Grados, that a 32 ohm HP requires max volume settings below 12 o'clock which I prefer. Should I go with the 32 ohm 770s or would that compromise the capabilities of the 770?

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 16
I have the Pro/250ohm and they're quite nice.

I haven't had a chance to hear the Premiums or Pro/80ohm version, but I'd probably agree with Zombie; these don't have the mega bass that people mention the Pro/80s have, although quite a bit of bass is still present as they are closed. Mid-range is quite clear though and highs can get a little too bright for my tastes at times, well, at least until I got my Travagan's Red. Sound stage isn't anything special although the low end is quite detailed which make gaming and movie watching quite enjoyable with them.

All in all, I'd say audition a pair to make sure they're your cup of tea, because I must say that I got bored with them after a few months.

As far as closed headphones go, I want to try the new Shure line up!

Edit: And to the gentleman above, the Pro/250ohm had quite low volume and did not shine at all without a amp coming straight from my unamped sound card, but after setting the sound card's headphone amp to support high impedance, I got some decent volume and detail. I wouldn't recommend these without an amp and I'd assume a similar situation would take place with the Premiums.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was interested in getting a pair of Manufaktur 770s but I'm not sure what ohmage to get them in. My amp is a CA 540 V2 that has a HP ohm range of 32-600 ohms but I notice, when using my Grados, that a 32 ohm HP requires max volume settings below 12 o'clock which I prefer. Should I go with the 32 ohm 770s or would that compromise the capabilities of the 770?

Sensitivity has more to do with how loud a headphone is, than impedance.
The higher the sensitivity, the louder your headphone sounds and vice versa.
For example, my 75 ohm K270 plays as loud as my 400 ohm DT100. Their sensitivity is apparantly more or less the same.

As for DT770 impedance, if I had to buy a Maufaktur, I would choose the 600 ohm version, which seems to sound better than the 250 ohm. Don't know about the32 ohm though.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the clarification Tieman and the comparison leeperry. I'm kind of leary of the 32 ohm version as that seems to be aimed primarily at portables. I'll probably look into the 600 ohm version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back