Confirmed: ATH-W1000!
Oct 30, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
my main question to all you experienced philes out there is, hypothetically, if i do decide to get the new W1000's in a year or two (given the possibility that there might be a limited amount made, accross the globe), are my chances high in actually finding one to own (i would prefer brand new) if they do turn out to be a big hit? i have also read in the past that the limited edition models are somewhat hard to obtain.

It is likely that you would be able to get a used one without too much trouble because there will always be people who'd want to get rid of theirs (just look at HP-1000 which were discontinued real long time ago but a determined and willing to pay person can still find them rather easily).

But finding new ones could be a problem. That's of course assuming W1000 really is going to be a limited edition model.

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #32 of 41
Interestingly neither the ATH-A1000 nor the W1000 seem to be limited edition models. Good news for us, badnews for the collectors
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

halcyon: Is it possible that ATH-W1000 is almost the same as W2002, but without the exquisite lacquer finish?

Very much so. A different magnitude of exquisite perhaps? According to the blurb, the W1000 inherits D.A.D.S., the voice coil and the titanium flange (baffle) from the W2002. Furthermore, A-T says "It (the W1000) could be said to be the direct successor of the W2002, which achieved extended low frequency response (using D.A.D.S.)".

Quote:

The Quality Guru: Does this have a class A or class B driver? Is it the same driver from the W2002?

Don't get me started!
wink.gif
It's a Type A driver <...tapping fingers lightly on table whilst awaiting a new type-B closed headphone...>. The pole pieces of the W1000 are made of permalloy (80% Ni, 4% Mo, 16% Fe), where those of the W2002 were permendule, a.k.a. permendur, a.k.a. supermendur (49% Fe, 49% Co, 2% V). Both materials can be powder injection moulded. Otherwise one might assume the drivers are identical.

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #35 of 41
hey guys, just thought I'd share this somewhat larger picture of the W1000 with everyone:

autech21.jpg

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #37 of 41
Must...close...wallet...arrrg...

Nov 4, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #39 of 41
*dribbles all over himself*...

but i still think that the w2002's look sweeter with the echizen finish. it now just becomes a question of whether or not ppl would pay an extra 200$ or so for the minor upgrade in looks...
cool.gif

oh wait, what's this u ask about sound? i thought they were just to make us look cool...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
*dribbles all over himself*...

but i still think that the w2002's look sweeter with the echizen finish. it now just becomes a question of whether or not ppl would pay an extra 200$ or so for the minor upgrade in looks...
cool.gif

oh wait, what's this u ask about sound? i thought they were just to make us look cool...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think it's more than a $200 difference between the W2002 and W1000, isn't it?

Nov 5, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #41 of 41
well.... assuming i buy the w2002 second hand... i would never buy them for full retail price.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back