Concerns HD800
Jul 13, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #31 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to call you out on this, either PM a MOD with the names of the people that you can prove have gained financially from the promotion of the HD800 (that are not MOTs) or stop repeating the (in my eyes and from what I know) completely baseless accusation. If you can back up what you say we can do somethings about it and the community will be better for it and if you can't you'll need to retract your statement.

x2. By refusing to name the individuals, either publicly or to someone like jp11801, davidhunternyc has cast doubt and suspicion on every person who has said anything positive about the HD800. I've said positive things about it so I'm one of the accused. His accusation is that some of us -- and he claims to know who we are -- are receiving direct or indirect compensation from Sennheiser or their agents in return for lying about the the HD800 in this public forum. This is a serious accusation and if he fails to follow up, he leaves scores of us under suspicion. davidhunternyc, the responsible thing is to name the individuals, publicly or in private, to clear the rest of us of any suspicion of wrongdoing. And before careful about the ones you name. We're looking for solid evidence.

The recourse, as jp11801 has stated, is a public apology for lying about having evidence that "some" of the HD800 supporters are lying about their HD800 experience for compensation from Sennheiser or others.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #32 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that he has absolutely nothing useful to add to this discussion? No, actually I think you did notice that.
wink.gif

x2. He has constantly bashed the design and build quality of the HD800 so don't expect anything productive to come from a discussion with him on those phones. And he doesn't even own them.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #33 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming the 010 would still be on the market, which is not the case. The same goes for the R10, or the Orpheus, or the K1000.
Frankly, all these "HD800 vs *legend X headphones*" are interesting for a curiosity or for the (not many I guess) lucky owners of these "legends", but quite useless for other ones. Is the R10 better? Fine, but who cares if I can't buy one...they were discontinued several years ago and the chance of finding a new set is now near to 0%.

Ditto!

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone in the community that pretty much own all the holy grail of headphones mentioned what the OP said about the HD800 vs the Qualia. That person has great amps and terrific sources as well.

That's worth noting, but ignorance is bliss!

If there were only 100 pairs of "holy grails" made, then its pointless for me to go about buying them up at 5 to 10k a pop. When the HD 800 is better for me right now... Besides, I don't have to wait for the "holy grail" to be made, or for someone to get tired of it, after using it for 25 years, eww! Only for me to purchase it and listen for 1 hour and then the holy grail vaporize before my very eyes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the R10s and I still am waiting for my HD800s, but I've heard similar impressions of the HD800s as well. As Hopstretch mentioned, sometimes it's different strokes for different folks.

Like the OP and since you own the King, you may be under-whelmed by the HD 800, especially with its amp sensitivity and all. Either way, I love hearing about how the HD 800 (PS-1000, Edition 8) stacks up/down in the eyes of those choice few who own out-of-production headphones.
beerchug.gif

Although head-fi is niche, I a firm believer in the the success of the new headphones giving companies like AKG, Sony, STAX, etc., incentive to build us better offerings...

--want/hope/pray--

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #34 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Although head-fi is niche, I a firm believer in the the success of the new headphones giving companies like AKG, Sony, STAX, etc., incentive to build us better offerings...

--want/hope/pray--

I wouldn't count on Sony, which seems to have lost his interest in the high-end market (with headphones, at least), but that could prove true for other competitors (AKG, Ultrasone, Grado). I'm not that much interested on Stax, not because I don't believe they sound good (actually I never listened to them), but because after having spent 5000+$ on a dynamic amp (B52) I can't see myself switching headphones topology, thus having to spend a lot of money for another amp (which can only be used with the appropriate headphone, btw).

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #35 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't count on Sony, which seems to have lost his interest in the high-end market (with headphones, at least), but that could prove true for other competitors (AKG, Ultrasone, Grado). I'm not that much interested on Stax, not because I don't believe they sound good (actually I never listened to them), but because after having spent 5000+$ on a dynamic amp (B52) I can't see myself switching headphones topology, thus having to spend a lot of money for another amp (which can only be used with the appropriate headphone, btw).

Fafner i am jealous of were you reside!! Lugano is a gorgeous area
biggrin.gif
Ive been through that area to Luino/Locarno... To bad i got ripped off on a train fair in Italy, dodgy buggers!

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #36 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fafner i am jealous of were you reside!! Lugano is a gorgeous area
biggrin.gif
Ive been through that area to Luino/Locarno... To bad i got ripped off on a train fair in Italy, dodgy buggers!

Yeah, not a bad city at all, although as usual those who live here don't appreciate it a smuch as tourists do.
smily_headphones1.gif
Rip off in italian trains are a classic...I read somewhere Gustav Mahler got ripped off around 1902-3, my parents were about 35 years ago, and it looks like the situation hasn't changed that much.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #37 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, now that the emperor's new clothes is becoming more commonplace, finally, a realistic unbiased critique. You neither work for Sennheiser nor for this website, so you have no ax to grind. I was surprised to read that you prefer the Qualia in terms of sound quality. I have been promoted the Qualia as one of the apex headphones in terms of design and build quality so it is great to hear someone who loves their sound signature. I've listened to them before at the Qualia store when it was around here in New York, but I have not spent enough time with them to make any conclusive opinions about them. With the limited time I did spend with them, I was mightily impressed though. Your comments are well noted. I still don't own any full-sized headphones but I have long held that the Holy Trinity of my collection would include the Sony R-10, Grado HP 1000, and the Sony Qualia 010. This list still stands.

I'm not going to dignify your accusations with an answer...what axe are you grinding?

Second thought....may I add the following:
Astounding you've made Headphoneus Supremus Status with posts like this. Are your comments
always so cancerous and inflammatory in nature? How bogus that you could accuse people who like a product to be
paid patsies for a company. You really should think a bit before you type.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #38 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if transformer-coupled triodes might be the path to glory with the HD-800.

That pretty much mirrors my own impression so far -- having gone from solid-state (GS-1) to OTL (HD300) to trafo-coupled (HP4).

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #39 of 187
Glad you are enjoying your Qualia's, jfkbike. I don't doubt that the 010's sound better to you, especially in your "dialed-in" system that you've had for several years.

For current owners of the "holy trinity", that is a good thing. For the rest of us, we can't hear any music coming out of our $1400 Qualias because they don't exist. Neither do $2700 (their original retail, iirc) ones, even if we wanted to ante up that much. For us, the HD800's may be the best thing we can get at that price.

While, in the right setup, I like them a lot, the Qualias are as polarizing a can as any. Besides, I don't recall any HD800 thread claiming unequivocally that they are absolutely better than anything that ever existed, or to everyone. Or maybe I just don't read that much into all those reviews *shrug*.

Enjoy your current setup, and welcome to Head-Fi!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #40 of 187
Wouldn't say "welcome", he signed up on 2006!

Uncle Erik, interested in any impressions between HD800 and DT48E

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #41 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't say "welcome", he signed up on 2006!

Uncle Erik, interested in any impressions between HD800 and DT48E

You should read the impression thread of the LA mini mega meet that we held 2 days ago. Here's my impression of it:

I have the same impression of it running on my Phoenix as I did in Canjam when it was ran on the Zana Deux. The DT48 has a couple of things going for them but they really aren't that special. It's extremely closed in sounding and has a below average soundstage as if I was listening to music inside a tiny box. Treble and bass was clearly rolled off. However, it's got a couple of things going for them that's very good: clarity, speed, detail, and mids. At the end of the day though, I'm not very impressed by the DT48.

To the OP: The Qualia10 that I heard at Canjam out of the RSA Apache was horrendous. Like the SA5000, the Qualia got many great qualities but tonality was just so off that it's ridiculous. They both got this plasticky tone and a few that I've talked to agreed with me. So at the very least, the HD800's tonality isn't way off and that's a heck of a good start for any headphone.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #42 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For current owners of the "holy trinity", that is a good thing. For the rest of us, we can't hear any music coming out of our $1400 Qualias because they don't exist. Neither do $2700 (their original retail, iirc) ones, even if we wanted to ante up that much. For us, the HD800's may be the best thing we can get at that price.

I agree with you jpelg that for the time being the HD800s may be the best thing we can get at that price that is in production. This is why I can't wait for my HD800s to show up. Will it sound better than my R10s? Not sure. But I would love to find out. If it does or doesn't it really won't matter, but if the HD800s sound good to my ears then I'll be a happy camper
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm also glad you are enjoying your Qualia's as well jfkbike.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #43 of 187
It seems that transformer coupled triodes is the path to follow.
The Senns with Silvercore are insane and i will not describe the sound on these threads its because nobody would believe me its way above the Orpheus standard.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #44 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The recourse, as jp11801 has stated, is a public apology for lying about having evidence that "some" of the HD800 supporters are lying about their HD800 experience for compensation from Sennheiser or others.

At least he's increasingly salting all conversation with "I believe" so others know it's a groundless belief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back