Computer Speakers
Aug 7, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Cambridge Soundworks has things like that for a little more that kick way more ass=actual bookshelfs, a subwoofer,...etc.

You mean that for a little more one could get a speaker system which uses booshelf speakers and subwoofers?

Aug 7, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #17 of 32
I would get a 2nd hand 2 channel amp + kit speakers.
It will give you better sound not to mention better bass.

My < $50 speakers sound better than any PC sub.

Aug 8, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
You could always get PSB alphas an a NAD 3020.

Total price would be around 250$

Good idea. Any clue how the 3020 sounds with headphones? Then it would serve all my computer audio needs.

Aug 8, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 32
well, they're actually $200 more, but I think it'd be worth it
smily_headphones1.gif
, I haven't heard them though, but the bookshelf's are supposed to be good. CSW

Aug 10, 2003 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 32
I'd recommend to get a pair of JBL Control 1s (or something similar) plus a used little stereo amp or receiver.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 10, 2003 at 2:17 PM Post #23 of 32
From what I have read, the best computer speakers are the Diva Swan M200.

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/SwanM200/

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-b...ml?id=5URkbgav

They used to cost $199, but even at $249, I would probably consider them first if I were looking for a music-centered system. For gaming, the bass of the Klipsch 2.1 would be great, but for music, Klipsch is not outstanding. The satellites are very bright and the sub has a very high crossover, which means that it gets in the way, even on the 5.1 that I have where it is supposed to be improved. Don't get me wrong, Klipsch is a lot of fun, but definitely not audiophile sound.

Aug 10, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #24 of 32
Espringe: YGPM

Aug 11, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #25 of 32
Hold out for the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra. It's going to rock. I'd never buy any multimedia system for my computer except a promedia system from Klipsch.

Aug 11, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

I'd never buy any multimedia system for my computer except a promedia system from Klipsch.

Gee......sorry to hear that. Oh well, guess there's no accounting for taste and ones ability to sacrifice quality and still pay through the nose for mediocrity.
very_evil_smiley.gif

To add to that....I wouldn't take a Pro Media set if you paid me to take it. Overbloated, underdefined bass, exaggerated and sterile mids, and nothing but a sheer volume beast.

Geez, what are you gonna tell us next..that you wouldn't buy anything but B0$E for your home theater stuff ?
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #27 of 32
The Klipsch speakers are probably the 'best' compared to the other multimedia offerings out there, but they don't compare to a amp/bookshelves/monitors for quality and music listening, if your big into multi channel dvds and gaming then something like the klipsch 5.1 ultras would be perfect.

Aug 14, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #28 of 32
Just because they cost a kazillion dollars, does not make them the "best" MM speakers out there. Sorry, but my Monsoon PM 9's (2 sets of them) wipe the freekin' floor with those pieces of plastic. And that's modest. And then there's the PM 14's, which are even 2 steps above the 9's. They can't be matched in clarity or soundstage. And the bass is ass tight. I've heard those Klipsche's, and I thought they were the most god aweful sounding things...The Altec Lansing 621's even sounded better than them. And at a fraction of the price.

I dont know what it is about the whole Kl/PM cult thing....just wierd to me. It's almost like the B0$enites and their damned status symbol existence. *sigh*

Aug 17, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
I would get a 2nd hand 2 channel amp + kit speakers.
It will give you better sound not to mention better bass.

My < $50 speakers sound better than any PC sub.

^^^ I agree. If you're into gaming or DVDs, which is where the only advantage in having a seperate sub will be for you, then you should be looking at 5.1 systems which will allow you to utilize the full capabilities of your content. If you want music quality, or a bit of everything, in two channels, then just do what Ctn recommended. Remember there's no 2.1 content with 3 discrete channels, so 2.1 setups are pointless.

Any computer speaker systems tend to be overpriced compared to conventional systems, and you will probably find deals more easily with second hand equipment if you're prepared to look.

Aug 17, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Gee......sorry to hear that. Oh well, guess there's no accounting for taste and ones ability to sacrifice quality and still pay through the nose for mediocrity.
very_evil_smiley.gif

To add to that....I wouldn't take a Pro Media set if you paid me to take it. Overbloated, underdefined bass, exaggerated and sterile mids, and nothing but a sheer volume beast.

Geez, what are you gonna tell us next..that you wouldn't buy anything but B0$E for your home theater stuff ?
evil_smiley.gif

OK, remember that comment you made in the other thread about your Aiwa system having better bass than my PM4.1? Your argument was blown out of proportion and voided right there. Sure, they aren't going to match up against a pair of RB-75's with a good amp, but they're an excellent MM system. Also, I'd love you to find another MM system with better bass. This is an MM SYSTEM and it therefore has an MM SUB. Personally, I think the bass is pretty damn good for an MM system. A sheer volume beast? What's that supposed to mean? Yes, they can get loud, if that's what you mean.

Another note: pricing is unimportant here. They do not cost a kazillion dollars, in fact, they're only a bit overpriced. Then again, you're paying for better quality that you won't find in Altec Lansing or Logitech speakers.

Oh yeah, next time you watch a DVD with your headphones, turn on surround sound and tell me how it matches up to MM speakers. Also, play some games with surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back