Computer Speakers
Aug 4, 2003 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Xspringe

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

I am looking to replace my old old pioneer S-Q180 speaker set because of problems with the receiver (it has a habit of suddenly jumping to full volume - ouch).

Anyways, I'm looking for a nice 2.1 computer speaker set of about 200 USD. I was thinking about a nice satellite system, but I'm affraid of a lack in low-mids and bloated bass. Does anyone have any good recommendations for me?

Alex

Aug 4, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 32
I'd like to hear this, too. Has anyone used the Klipsch Promedia 2.1? I hear these are pretty good and a friend of mine likes his 5.1 system so I am wondering what others think.

Aug 4, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 32
Check out Monsoon PM14. I'd check out any computer speakers at a local store before buying.

Aug 4, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
I'd like to hear this, too. Has anyone used the Klipsch Promedia 2.1? I hear these are pretty good and a friend of mine likes his 5.1 system so I am wondering what others think.

Yeah, sadly enough they don't sell klipsch in Europe
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 32
Well the PM14's bass isn't as much as Logitech and Klipsch but I like it's highs and midrange more. I can't really say more than that because it's one of those items you should just try it out yourself. I dont' know what would be acceptable for you. Some people say Klipsch sound great but what's their audio experience and points of reference?

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Well the PM14's bass isn't as much as Logitech and Klipsch but I like it's highs and midrange more. I can't really say more than that because it's one of those items you should just try it out yourself. I dont' know what would be acceptable for you. Some people say Klipsch sound great but what's their audio experience and points of reference?

How deep does the bass go?

Aug 4, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 32
My roomate at college has Klipsh Promedia 2.1. Let's start out by saying that his setup (just about the only one possible in our tight space) is about the worst possible placement and sound reflection wise. The sub sits on top of a solid tile floor surrounded by a cheap wooden desk, and solid cement walls. Most people think the Klipsch's sub is overdone, I agree. The crossover seems too high, and the bass seems extremely loose and boomy - also too much of it (often overwhelms the rest of the music). Some of this, is due to placement (he says it does sound better at his carpeted home) - but of the reviews I've read, most people find the Klipsch overbearing in the bass.

If I were purchasing computer speaker now, my first looks would be into the Monsoon line and Altec-Lansing 621. The 621 is supposed to be an extremely musical setup for a computer speaker. If after listening to these, I still was unsatisfied, I'd look into very small real monitors and an integrated amp, or perhaps some pro powered nearfield monitors. This would cost more, but probably could be done fairly well without going too far above the cost of one of those new giant computer speaker setups.

-dd3mon

Aug 4, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
My roomate at college has Klipsh Promedia 2.1. Let's start out by saying that his setup (just about the only one possible in our tight space) is about the worst possible placement and sound reflection wise. The sub sits on top of a solid tile floor surrounded by a cheap wooden desk, and solid cement walls. Most people think the Klipsch's sub is overdone, I agree. The crossover seems too high, and the bass seems extremely loose and boomy - also too much of it (often overwhelms the rest of the music). Some of this, is due to placement (he says it does sound better at his carpeted home) - but of the reviews I've read, most people find the Klipsch overbearing in the bass.

If I were purchasing computer speaker now, my first looks would be into the Monsoon line and Altec-Lansing 621. The 621 is supposed to be an extremely musical setup for a computer speaker. If after listening to these, I still was unsatisfied, I'd look into very small real monitors and an integrated amp, or perhaps some pro powered nearfield monitors. This would cost more, but probably could be done fairly well without going too far above the cost of one of those new giant computer speaker setups.

-dd3mon

Thank you for the info!

Have you ever listened to music on the 621s?

Right now I'm going with either the altec 621s or the CSW 250D (http://uk.europe.creative.com/produc...t.asp?prod=374). What do you think?

Aug 4, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon

-dd3mon

I'd second the AL 621! Though I have not heard them they are a direct descendant of a previous model that I have heard extensively on a co-workers computer system at work and I must say they are fantastic. The previous model, and now this current 621 model have received tons of rave reviews in the press.

I heard a Monsoon system one time and thought it sounded excellent as well. It sounded truly holographic with their panel speaker design.

It's just a hunch but I would bet the Cambridge system isn't as good as the Altec system. The Altec system is phenominal.

Aug 5, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 32
I have heard a Monsoon system a while ago and I thought it was rather thin sounding and a little too forward for my taste. As I said, this was a while ago. Can you recommend Monsoon systems that I can go and listen to? Maybe I will like these newer models better. Also, I will give a listen to those altecs. While I'm still here, what about the Logitech® Z-680?

Aug 7, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 32
Hmmm . . . looks interesting . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back