Computer speaker suggestions < 75 USD
Nov 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Flozzo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

After years of great service, I think it is finally time to get rid of these speakers that are older than me.
I am looking for a pair of computer speakers for preferably less than 100NZD, which equates to about 75 USD. My budget isn't too strict, but I preferably don't want to spend too much on new speakers since I am also looking at getting a second monitor for my PC. I do have a sound card in my PC already, albeit a rather cheap one (ASUS Xonar DG) and a pair of headphones I am content with, but I mainly use speakers for gaming/music/movies anyway. I mainly listen to punk/rock, hardstyle and house music, and the gaming performance of speakers is not too important.

Since I live in New Zealand my options are also rather limited, and if possible I'd rather not import anything. From reading on here I have gathered the most popular speakers for around $100 US are Audioengine A2s, M-Audio AV40s and Swan d1080s (I think?), but I don't think I can find any of those for a decent price (aka not under $250 NZ).
If anyone has any suggestions I would much appreciate them. I know I won't get amazing speakers, but at least getting the best my money can buy would be great.

Flozzo

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 7
Do yourself a huge favor and save up for the Corsair SP2500, they are amazing for what they cost. I recently got rid of them to make room for studio monitors, but for the price you simply can't do better, computer speaker or not.

The one exception might be used bookshelf speakers and a cheap amp, but then you're going to have to go bargain hunting, and to do that you should ideally have a vague idea of what's out there, what it's worth, what to look out for and so on.

The thing that sets computer speakers apart is convenience, it's all just cheap active monitors, really.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Do yourself a huge favor and save up for the Corsair SP2500, they are amazing for what they cost. I recently got rid of them to make room for studio monitors, but for the price you simply can't do better, computer speaker or not.

The one exception might be used bookshelf speakers and a cheap amp, but then you're going to have to go bargain hunting, and to do that you should ideally have a vague idea of what's out there, what it's worth, what to look out for and so on.

The thing that sets computer speakers apart is convenience, it's all just cheap active monitors, really.

Heard quite a lot of good things about these, but unfortunately they are well over my budget (read: 320 NZD is the cheapest I could find). I don't think that with my current lack of knowledge it is a good idea to go bargain hunting no, that'd just set me up for even bigger potential bad purchases.
I have read a lot of good stuff about Swans, and found a pair of Swans D1010MKII online for 120 NZD inc shipping, which is 100 USD. Can't find any reviews or pricing on these though except generic sales talk, anyone got any idea?

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 7
That's too bad. I got mine for what equates to about 200 USD, and everything's usually more expensive here in Norway than anywhere else in the developed world.

I have no idea about the Swans either. My experience with computer speakers in that price range have taught me to stick with headphones until I could afford something decent.
Are you sure this is not an option? If you need to share something with friends etc. you can always hook up an old stereo or maybe even a boombox. A lot of the time you can find something like this for free or next to nothing if you keep an eye out on local classifieds.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 7
As you probably know, headphones is this forum's specialty, so I'm sure the members here will be a great help in getting the best bang for your buck in the headphone department.
All the ones I'm using these days are over your budget as well, but I've always had better luck with affordable headphones than with speakers.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 7
I can vouch for the little brothers of the AV40, the AV30. They should be about in the price range, and although the bass doesn't go too low, they still put out plenty of thump for use as near-field monitors. Get them set up with the right angles and the soundstage is great as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back