Computer People... Pleeeeeeeeeeease Help
Dec 10, 2001 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 38
Well, since we're talking about our experiences with operating systems, I'll chime in on Mac OS X. I've used pretty much ever major platform, and was an IT person at a major university, supporting hundreds of Macs and PCs (and even some UNIX-based systems).

I've been trying Mac OS X off and on since the beta stages. Up to, and including, the 10.0 release, I couldn't use it as a primary OS, and I couldn't recommend it to friends.

However, with the release of v10.1, it's definitely ready for primetime. It's a fully functional OS with a great interface and a huge selection of software (everything for Mac OS 9, everything for OS X, and pretty much any UNIX/Linus software); you can also run any Windows applications using Virtual PC, but they run slower than on a dedicated PC. Now that Microsoft Office is available for it (easily the best version of Office for any platform right now, and it includes Entourage, the best email/contact/calendar program I've seen), it's a viable full-time OS even for consumers and new users. Unlike XP, which tried to copy the OS X interface but ended up with eye candy that just doesn't "feel" right, I've found OS X's interface to be both pleasing and useable. And the media functionality (iDVD, iMovie, and iTunes) are so superior to comparable software on other platforms, that if you plan on doing those types of things, it's worth buying a Mac for them alone.

The one demographic that should probably avoid it is gamers, as usual. While some of the newer games are being developed for OS X and Windows at the same time, the fact is there is a much bigger gaming market for Windows (although not really for XP yet -- 98 is still the best gaming version of Windows).

As for stability, X 10.1 is the most stable and trouble-free OS I have ever used, To this day, I have not had to "troubleshoot" any problems, or even restart the computer (it's running on a laptop, so I just put it to sleep when I'm not using it). After supporting Windows and Mac machines for years, I'm simply amazed by the stability.

Dec 10, 2001 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 38
I'm thinking of buying an iMac just because of OS X.

Dec 10, 2001 at 1:50 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

I'm thinking of buying an iMac just because of OS X.

Funny.........I bought an iMac just because of iPod.
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 38
I recently switched over to OS X.1 (on my pathetically slow old machine... The Original Beige G3/466, radeon, 640mb ram... as soon as the G5 comes out... man...) and boy am I glad I did. Holy crap is this a stable OS, like all UNIX type OS's, but most importantly, a lot more hassle free. It is true the interface is slow, slothlike... but I have tweaked my system enough so that I can endure it. I have to restart occasionally if I can't do something in OS X to go into OS 9, but never has OS X crashed on me... But now that office (for mac, which is by FAR, agreed with MacDef, the best office incarnation I have seen) and other programs are out, I can finally use OS X full time... well, I just need photoshop... damn friggin adobe, I want photoshop... that would be the final application I would need to use OS X truly full time.

Games do not apply to me any more since I do not play them any more... I think this audio business has replaced my gaming that I used to do so much. For that, I have no reason to use a PC. Heck, I have a Dell 933/P3 sitting under my desk, connected to nothing, because it has no use.

Dec 10, 2001 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Games do not apply to me any more since I do not play them any more... I think this audio business has replaced my gaming that I used to do so much. For that, I have no reason to use a PC. Heck, I have a Dell 933/P3 sitting under my desk, connected to nothing, because it has no use.

Jeeze! What a waste. Install Linux on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 38
Hehehe. Oh crap, OS wars. I could probably launch a whole OS war message board and have more activity than a server cluster could handle. They all have their differences, benefits, detriments, and we al have our own preferences. Lets face it, with the application variety out there for Windows, it makes it the most desired desktop/notebook environment. I mean, who in the hell would not install Linux if all of the Windows apps could run on it without a hitch?

I'm about to start an Ety war. Silicone tips vs. foam tips. I can't even make up my own mind as to which one I like better -- driving me insane.

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:08 AM Post #24 of 38
Nylon tips? Are these some new tips or something
wink.gif

Time to read up on the fabric book, eh?

Silicone tips rock anyway, since they actually LAST for more than 3 rounds. Stupid foam tips, more comfy, shrink quickly. My ears finally adapted to the rubbers though, but I still prefer the foamies.

[size=xx-small]OS X rocks!!!! Beats the snot out of everything there is!!! ; )[/size]

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:10 AM Post #25 of 38
Hehe, I try not to glory Mac too much in this forum, but other Mac nut just can't
wink.gif
We are making PC user very jealousy, esp after the iPod.
biggrin.gif

I restart my Mac mainly because I need to go to OS9 in another volume of the HD. Classic is good enough most of the time, but not all. Another reason to restart is to free up some ram after Internet Explorer crash a few time.

I was very skeptical about OSX a few months ago, I tried beta, OS 10.0, they are not better than OS9 overall. I was worry about OS9 - > OSX just like Win 3.11 -> Win 95, slower performance, less functional, need newest HW, lost user control... After Install OS 10.1.1, I really feel for the first time I don't have to worry about my computer anymore. I havn't yet need to trouble-shooting, since there is no trouble at all. My computer just act the way it supposed to be. Guess we all have a quite low expectation in reliably on computer. When is the last time your microwave oven not working? I just can't think of any mainsteam product cost over $1000 and under 3 years old fail on me once, maybe my car, but it is 1000 times more reliable.

Yes, Mac has a lot of drawback, but Apple innovation just terrific. The whole industry just follow it or even 'copy' it. iMac color and shape, Airport, Firewire, its S/W... Apple is a leader for most cool yet useful idea.

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:41 AM Post #26 of 38
ROFL! Chych, nice subliminal message
very_evil_smiley.gif

neil wrote:
Quote:

Lets face it, with the application variety out there for Windows, it makes it the most desired desktop/notebook environment.

Gotta disagree there, Neil
wink.gif
I wouldn't call it the most "desired" -- the more widespread, but not necessarily desired. In terms of application variety, I never really pay attention to the alleged numbers of available software titles. I look at software that people need or use frequently, and then examine whether or not a particular platform can provide for those needs. And I also look at the quality of software -- I'd rather choose between three excellent email clients than 40 lame ones
wink.gif

Personally, apart from a couple cool games, I have never found a piece of software for Windows that I wished my Mac had. On the other hand, many times I've been on my Windows machine wishing I had some of my Mac software (mainly productivity apps or utilities, but a few creative apps, as well).

Like I mentioned above, the only real markets where "software selection" is a relevant issue are games and corporate environments. The former because there are just a LOT more games available, the latter because there are a number of proprietary enterprise-level software packages that are Windows-only (and most IT's have no clue about Macs, so even if they're compatible, it's a waste of time to try
wink.gif
).

But all that said, like Tim said earlier, people tend to think that the best OS is the one they learned. Few people actually have enough hard-core experience with more than one platform to even list their objective advantages or disadvantages.

Dec 10, 2001 at 7:09 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Guess we all have a quite low expectation in reliably on computer.

Well, I don't for sure. Crashing is unacceptable, incompatability is unacceptable, and I haven't had any problems with my PC in quite a while (Since I upgraded to Win2k to be exact).

There is a rather large forum dedicated to people bashing each other for what OS they use, it is a subforum in Arstechnica, just be careful if you step in there as PeterB/Evil Merlin or BEIGE will bash your head in depending on which platform you support.

My biggest problem with Apple is that they don't give me a good choicein hardware, and I can't build my own. This makes them just as evil a company as MS, Sony, and AOL to me.

Dec 10, 2001 at 7:29 AM Post #28 of 38
ehehhehehe

I am loyal to no one OS. Currently, I have under my belt:

NeXTStep
BeOS
Windows95
Windows98
WindowsNT4
Windows2K
WindowsXP
HP-UX
AIX
IRiX
Linux
Solaris (EEW)
SunOS (DOUBLE EEW)
Free/OpenBSD
MS/PC/DR/FREE-DOS (I still think DOS is a complete joke, though)
CP/M
UCSD P-System
RT-11/85
GeOS (31337)
AmigaOS (Don't remember what version, was so long ago...)

My favorite?

Linux.

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 38
smily_headphones1.gif

We always get a litle carried away with our opinions on computers. Though I'm a Mac user myself I have worked with PC's quite a bit and worked for the Computer Support group at my old University. My roomate is their Help Desk Director. He is a PC user but absolutely hates WindowsXP. He comes home every day to tell me that WindowsXP is the devil. So there you have it. It is usually best to hold off on completely new OS's until they mature a bit. It has been true about every new version of Windows and was true about OS X. OS X was terrible until 10.1 came out. XP.xxxxxx will undoubtedly be much better than what is out now. Software companies are famous for using their users as free beta testers. MS and Apple are both guilty of doing this.

A hardcore Mac addict who is sick of fighting over computers,
Jamie

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:57 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Like I mentioned above, the only real markets where "software selection" is a relevant issue are games and corporate environments. The former because there are just a LOT more games available, the latter because there are a number of proprietary enterprise-level software packages that are Windows-only (and most IT's have no clue about Macs, so even if they're compatible, it's a waste of time to try
wink.gif
).

Not necessarily true. Science and statistics also come to mind. In my case I must use a PC since SAS has its best support in terms of updated procedures and support for the PC platform (or Unix). Their support of Mac and Linux is either abyssmal or nonexistent.

On the other hand all of the DNA sequencers I am aware of are based upon a MAC for both data collection and analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back