Computer Audio Setup
Sep 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iandroo888

New Head-Fier
Hey guys =X fairly new to the forum (not really.. i creep around without posting a lot ahahah) but im lookin to get a nice set of speakers for my computer. Currently im using Altec Lansing GT5051's that give a simulated 5.1. Don't care much about that anymore except i forget about it, and when im playing something, it bounces sound and scares me when sound comes from behind me LOL 

anyways...

I've been lookin to upgrade the speakers. Been drooling over M-Audio AV40's for a long while ever since i was told about those vs the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. XD Since i've been kind of behind on this stuff, i looked around again. Some people swear on the AV40s, some people say dont get those and get the next step up BX5a's.

I've been using a usb thing for my headphones (samson sr850's) that supposedly does better job than from on-board sound card. i forgot the name of it (excuse me for that lol). But it has 2 outputs. each with a 6.5mm plug.  

Originally, i was suggested to get Behringer UCA202 to connect the AV40's to the computer. But since i have that other thing, i think i can manage? unless i should get the behringer DAC 

I was lookin around this forum and theres been suggestions to do that budget setup with the Dayton Audio and Lepai Amp. Would this setup go well against something like the AV-40s or BX5a's ? Is it possible to hook up a subwoofer too? 

Want something that gives a nice sound while giving a decent amt of bass (subwoofer will be acquired eventually but hopefully the speakers will give some in the mean time??). Gaming/Music/Movies use. More all around vs anything specific

Preferably to purchase through amazon since i have a $50 gc that can help levy the costs a little.. but any other place can be ok too. i can spend the $50 on something else 

Budget... 100 - 150 ? 

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 10
What make/model USB thing are you using with your headphones? If it's an external DAC, I wouldn't count on the UCA202 to be better.

If you are into bass and want a good sub, the Dayton SUB-1000 will be far better than any sub that comes with a <$200 (and possibly less than $300) computer desktop multimedia set. And subs are a big plus for both movies and bass heavy music like EDM, hip hop, and reggae.

So if you were go to for Dayton speakers and the Lepai, you won't have to save up much more for the Dayton SUB-1000.

My bet would be on the Dayton/Lepai setup to sound better than the AV40s.

If you are planning for a sub in a different budget, the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR would be a nice step up from the Dayton speakers. Getting them with the Lepai just fits your budget. Here's a review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 10
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-audio-interfaces/traktor-audio-2/

thats the one (sorry wasnt home when i posted OP to give the info)

i heard one of the polk audio subs were pretty good too 

how do i hook up a sub to the lepai? only see two sets of connectors for the left n right 

*edit*

ohh speakers go to sub then sub goes to amp... 

*edit again*

So right now.. im lookin at 

Dayton Audio B652 6 1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers - $51.99
Polk Audio PSW10 10" Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Black) - $99.99
Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier w/ US Power Supply (Black 2013 Version) - $24.99

do these come with the necessary wiring ill need or will i need to order some separately? or if it does, should i consider investing in some with a thicker gauge? 

from lepai to computer, rca to 3.5mm or 3.5mm to 3.5mm 

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 10
I don't know anything about the Traktor Audio 2, but I do know that Native Instruments Traktor series of DJ electronics has an excellent reputation. I wouldn't imagine that the UCA202 is better.

Run the speaker wires from the amp to the sub into the speaker level input, and then speaker level output on the sub to the speakers. That will pass through the amplified speaker output to the speakers from the Lepai (or any speaker amp you hook up this way), while allowing the sub to get the signal for its own amp.

Ask over at AVS forum in their subwoofer forum in the budget subwoofer discussion thread, and I feel certain that they would recommend the Dayton over the PSW10.

Lot of times the wires do not come with home audio stuff because people need different things to hook it up with different equipment. So I don't know what any of that comes with. However, all you need is some speaker wire and then (I think) a 3.5mm cable to connect the Traktor to the Lepai (check your Traktor manual).

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 10
  Hey guys =X fairly new to the forum (not really.. i creep around without posting a lot ahahah) but im lookin to get a nice set of speakers for my computer. Currently im using Altec Lansing GT5051's that give a simulated 5.1. Don't care much about that anymore except i forget about it, and when im playing something, it bounces sound and scares me when sound comes from behind me LOL 

anyways...

I've been lookin to upgrade the speakers. Been drooling over M-Audio AV40's for a long while ever since i was told about those vs the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. XD Since i've been kind of behind on this stuff, i looked around again. Some people swear on the AV40s, some people say dont get those and get the next step up BX5a's.

I've been using a usb thing for my headphones (samson sr850's) that supposedly does better job than from on-board sound card. i forgot the name of it (excuse me for that lol). But it has 2 outputs. each with a 6.5mm plug.  

Originally, i was suggested to get Behringer UCA202 to connect the AV40's to the computer. But since i have that other thing, i think i can manage? unless i should get the behringer DAC 

I was lookin around this forum and theres been suggestions to do that budget setup with the Dayton Audio and Lepai Amp. Would this setup go well against something like the AV-40s or BX5a's ? Is it possible to hook up a subwoofer too? 

Want something that gives a nice sound while giving a decent amt of bass (subwoofer will be acquired eventually but hopefully the speakers will give some in the mean time??). Gaming/Music/Movies use. More all around vs anything specific

Preferably to purchase through amazon since i have a $50 gc that can help levy the costs a little.. but any other place can be ok too. i can spend the $50 on something else 

Budget... 100 - 150 ? 

For around $140 new or less used, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (THX certified) can be had at Amazon. You don't like it, send it back. In a bedroom or small living room it will still produce enough bass to piss off the neighbors. The satellite speakers are okay and you can always upgrade if the ohms are right. For the money, you could do a lot worse and not much better. Has computer, Aux, headphones hookups.

I would concentrate on a decent sound card/usb with swappable op-amp sockets.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 10
I have an NI Audio 2. Use it as a portable DAC for Traktor and Ableton on a netbook.

Found it to offer clean and transparent conversion with punchy output levels. The Berhinger gets surprisingly good reviews for conversion but is a markedly inferior headphone amp. Especially with modern low impedance headphones. No need to change at all imo.

Having two channels out with separate gain control is vital for cueing. It could also be very useful to you as well. You can direct the same output stream to both  channels (ASIO drivers) then connect one stereo pair to your powered speakers/amp and the other to a sub. Which gives you separate gain controls for each on your desktop. Very handy especially late at night.If you are in danger of annoying neighbours or family simply turn the sub down or off. Means you can get a cheaper sub since you won't need the passthrough electronics.

And save money you are going to have to do. A $150 budget will not go far for decent desktops and that's before you add the price of a sub.

AV40 and BX5 are strictly speaking hi fi speakers rather than accurate monitors. They don't go down very far into the bass, compensate with a nice little bump in the high bass/low mid and a couple of dB shaved off in the often troublesome high mid/low tops to avoid the dreaded 'listener fatigue'. The popular 'smiley face' hi fi sound. Good value if that's your thing. They do have an appalling reputation for reliability though. Check the website. 

You might want to take a look at the Fostex PMO.d or better yet save up a bit and get a pair of KRK Rokit RP5 G2. ($300).

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 10
has anyone gotten any problems with the daytons lately? was reading some recent reviews on amazon and a lot of people had some issues (DoA, quality check, etc) 

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Someone on Head-Fi called parts-express.com (Dayton is there house brand), and apparently the production problem has been addressed. I suggest ordering from Parts Express directly if you are concerned about this and asking them yourself :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 10
would but only issue is shopping is 20 bux if i order the speakers alone. if i stick on the sub, then i wont be able to use the GC i have for amazon =X 

maybe ill just take my chances and order through amazon. then if anything happens, contact parts-express =3 *crosses fingers* another thread shows a picture on how to verify if its a good one 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back