Comply versus reshell: triple.fi 10
Feb 23, 2011 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Trysaeder

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of tf10s that I use for daily stuff. The problem with them is that they stick out so far that if they or the ear that the memory wire is on wobbles, the noise carries on and gets really annoying. The sawn-off comply tips reduce this quite a bit, while providing extra isolation on top of it without any sound degradation. 

The high maintenance of the complys is very annoying; I get traces of wax on my fingers whenever I compress the tips. Even with clean ears, they still get dirty over time and don't expand as well. 

When I bought the tf10, I actually planned for a high chance of reshelling, as the first time I tried them, the fat bulge stopped them from fitting at all. While I'm reasonably satisfied, happy even, with the complys, I can't help but turn my head to face the nagging 'GET CUSTOMS' dude in my head. 

Just a reshell with UM will cost me $245 + impressions + shipping. Comply tips cost about $6 a pair here on an optimistic estimate; it's been a while since I've checked. The nearest alternative, gutted olives, doesn't really grip the tube enough to provide the best isolation, seal, and therefore sound.

The benefits of comply:
Cheaper

The benefits of reshelling:
No more annoying wax fingers
Similar or slightly more isolation
Similar or better comfort (I've never had a custom before, so I wouldn't know if customs felt like nothing)
No wobbling (I would assume the entire middle and outer ear would be lined up and not want to move)
Better looks. Yes this matters to me, especially with the tf10. They look quite stupid from mid to far away and customs would appeal so much more to me. I love less traditional colours that are available which are not seen as often on mass produced earphones.

When I saw the amazon sale, I waited until the price of the tf10 dropped to ~$200 or so here before getting one. This allowed me to consider getting a mid driver. However, this does not seem to affect the midrange frequencies as much as fill in the 3khz valley, which countless other people and I don't miss at all.

Before/after:
http://goldenears.net/board/files/attach/images/783980/906/343/01_FR_M-Audio_IE40_Default.png
http://assets.head-fi.org/b/b9/525x525px-LL-b97d7916_vbattach28936.jpg

I have three choices here: stick to complys, reshell, reshell + mid driver, which is $355 + impressions + shipping.
On a reasonably unrelated note, I hope that I do continue growing. If I must spend another $210 on a reshell due to growth, then I would be happy to.
If anyone has any other experience with customs, I would like to hear from you.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 13
Have you tried the "reverse mod", aka flip flop mod.  Basically just swapping the L and R housings around on the cables, and wear them like that (L piece in right ear, R in left ear).
This way, they don't stick out as much.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 13
U still wear them over ear after the flip flop mod. Just bend the memory wire.
See more discussions here
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/275161/ultimate-ears-flip-flop-mod-please-help
Give it a try before sinking any more money into it. Just be careful, don't break the pins.

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 13
I've used extensively the PFE and the IE8, with the PFE being one of the most comfortable universals i've ever worn.

I've used the TF10 for extended periods though it has never been my primary IEM, because I felt like I could never move around with them or else they would fall out, or snag, or become uncomfortable.

I now have a custom, and in terms of comfort and flexibility in use, it blows away even the PFE which was fantastic.

The TF10, whilst a fantastically fun sounding earphone, is simply far too cumbersome for me to even consider as a dedicated IEM.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 13
Flip mod plus Sony Hybrid tips did the trick for me. The only issue I have is I have to clean the tips quite frequently because of sweat and body oil, but rubbing alcohol pads are alot cheaper than comply tips.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 13
Any reason you've not considered fisher hearing in the us for a reshell only?  $90 + impressions is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Fwiw I've spent the last couple of weeks flipping between getting a westone 4, getting a westone 2 reshelled and just saying sod it and go for a dedicated custom.  The main thing putting me off isn't the price it's getting the impressions done.  I can listen to music at work for around 5 or so hours a day and tempted to get the customs done for comfort as much as isolation (though thats important as well).  Getting tired of trying different tips out for optimum comfort and isolation.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 13
Because they are american and I like UM's quality.

I'm not sure whether I should add a mid driver or not. The tf10 has wonderful quality mids, but the bass and treble quality and quantity eclipse it. If you put an equalizer on and compare it to other phones, it doesn't fall short, even compared to my ms pro.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 13
I too am considering customs. They seem so easy and simple, and everyone loves their sound. I think I will get some Triplefis and get used to them, and then try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmk-y_9exJ8&feature=fvsr 

It looks interesting and very worth a try. 

As to whether you should add a mid driver to your tf10, if you like a neutral sound and want to hear the mids on equal footing with everything else, go for it! You can always equalize a smiley face back in if you want.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 13
About the radians mold : it's hard to make them with the triple-fi since they are very bulky, i tried and did not manage.
About the 4th driver       : reading the entire UM thread it seems to not really be worth it, the improvement weren't that great.

Personally, i just went with the simple reshell...which i might receive soon...

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
About the radians mold : it's hard to make them with the triple-fi since they are very bulky, i tried and did not manage.
About the 4th driver       : reading the entire UM thread it seems to not really be worth it, the improvement weren't that great.

Personally, i just went with the simple reshell...which i might receive soon...

Thanks for the input. I am rethinking my plan of buying the Triplefis as I think i am more of a dynamic kind of guy. I may try to get something like the Monster Turbine or the Futuresonics Atrio. Those ar smaller as well and would probably work well.

As for the extra mid driver, I can't really say anything for certain because I don't have any direct experience with it. It would seem to me that an extra mid driver would give you headroom there and you could EQ mids in easier. Besides, you can ask UM to tune the custom specifically to your liking. If you told them to reshell the tf10 and bring out the mids until the frequency was pretty much flat, that might have good results if that is what you are going for.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 13
My situation is the same as you.
I'll recommend you get customs - it'll save more in the long run.

Comply tips for me typically last about a month or so; they tear easily and get yellowed quickly, making it look very unhygienic.
You can clean your customs but you can't wash your tips; only get a new one.

So, I got a reshell with Stage 93(friend's upcoming project)
Solved everything, and looks a whole lot more professional :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back