Comply foam tip decrease quality?
Sep 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

silver__wombat

New Head-Fier
So i just bought my first pair of in-ear headphones, and they came with two pairs of comply foam...i dont know what there called...inserts? Anyway i noticed that no matter what EQ setting i used they didnt sound very good, the mids, and vocals seemed to be very muddy and not clear. Also the bass was overpowering the rest of the music. So i was rather pissed that my new headphones had worse sound quality then my cheap earbuds that came with my laptop. So I decided to use the standard silicon inserts that also came with my headphones just to see if it made a difference, all i got to say is it made a huge difference. The only thing i liked about the comply inserts is they made a great seal, to the point that with no music on, i couldn't hear the tv 5 feet way from me.
So i was wondering if any of you have had the same problem? Or if you have even used these inserts before.

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 11
Comply's don't decrease the quality but every type of tip changes the sound of the iem to some degree so the same iem with different tips will likely sound different so it's up to you to decide which has the sound you like and at the same time gives you the best seal. Seal is extremely important for an iem to sound as it was intended to. What iem is it you have bought ?

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 11
So are we talking UE here? I agree on nc8000's comment. Foam tip tends to absorb some of the treble energy and turn the sound signature darker, which could be the reason why you think it decrease the SQ. I personally prefer foam tips on most of my IEMs.

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 11
since im not a complete audiophile, i was just looking for something better then stock earbuds and had style i went with skullcandy full metal jacket's. With the regular silicon inserts on im quite happy with the sound quality. Only thing i don't like is the cable, the old version of these iem's had a soft rubber cord that wouldn't get hard in the cold like most cables. But the new version (the ones i have) the cable is wire wrapped in foil wrapped in plastic, and seem as stiff as ipod earbuds after they have been in the freezer!

Full Metal Jacket [SC-FMJ] : Skullcandy

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Don't know SC packs their IEM w/ comply these days.. hopefully you got them cheap.

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 11
$70!!?? /me shudders

Sep 24, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by silver__wombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, i paid $40 shipped off ebay NIB, i would never pay $70 for these

Still pretty expensive if you ask me.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 11
40 bucks for the tips...
i ordered a 10 pack when they were still cheap, the problem i have is that im killing a pair evert 2-3 weeks, and i dont think i can afford it, i think im going to switch over to Shure tips,

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 11
The problem with complys (especially the long ones) is that the hole becomes crushed when in your ears. This causes the sound to be muffled and less clear.

Shure olives work better, but the silicone shure sips are even better than the olives, since the silicone openings are more rigid and won't crush.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40 bucks for the tips...
i ordered a 10 pack when they were still cheap, the problem i have is that im killing a pair evert 2-3 weeks, and i dont think i can afford it, i think im going to switch over to Shure tips,

I think the OP means $40 for the SkullCandy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back