COmpletely UNamped.... The HD555 vs. HD595 vs. HD580 how do they compare??
Apr 10, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 27
Yes, im talking about the 50ohm

The bithead is a decent amp, should be able to push the 580s...now it wont push them to their full potential, but it will certainly be better then NO amp at all.

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #20 of 27
<teaching granny to suck eggs>
As has already been mentioned, unamped is really being used to mean headphone out and no dedicated (HP) amp. The problem with this is that the capability of HP out varies enormously. You may not come across this if your players happen to be similar.
<\teaching granny to suck eggs>

From the low-end amps I've tried, I've found that my main HP out are actually pretty strong. You need to consider this in the A<<<<<<<<<<<B scenario.

However, I like 1Time's depiction. Would it be helpful to name some amps here, to give an indication of each level? I realise that the player may again be a factor.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As has already been mentioned, unamped is really being used to mean headphone out and no dedicated (HP) amp. The problem with this is that the capability of HP out varies enormously.

Absolutely true. "Unamped" can vary between a Sony mp3 player with only 6mWpc into 16 Ohms up to headphone out stepped down from the signal of a power amp, capable of putting out a great deal more power indeed, say a full clean Watt. (not so much in new amps, which tend to have weaker outs, but in vintage amps) One might well say that "unamped" covers a wider range of possibilities than amped does itself.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. The HD580 is just the better headphone. An ipod isn't really enough for it, but it'll get you a foot in the door of greatness instead of a wide-open door of mediocrity with the HD5x5. It will, however, eventually drive you to pick up a cheap amp, when you happen to have a little cash. And from there, it's a slippery slope.

X3 The HD580 is a better phone, period.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #24 of 27
what did you end up getting btw?

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #25 of 27
I have to disagree with most people here:amped or not,the Hd580 is much,much better.It becomes an obvious conclusion when you listen to them side by side.

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 27
I don't know how relevant this is, but getting the HD580 would be smarter, as it would scale up better if you later decide to buy an amp anyway (even a cheap cmoy?). Even if you won't buy it in the near future as you stated, it will eventually save money
biggrin.gif
Head-fi, spend all, but spend it smart
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #27 of 27
I tried my 580's without an amp the other day. If ipod is only source without amp, I would tell people to save your money and get PX100's. I have them also, and am able to enjoy them without amp. Not so with 580's. But that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back