Complete noob receiver to amp ?
Sep 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am no expert on the video side, so I could be wrong on this. I know that VGA can be converted to DVI-A. HDMI can take DVI-D signal, I'm not sure if it can take DVI-A signal, my guess is it can't.

If the above is true, you can only use the S-Video or component video input on the receiver. To correct my previous post, you don't need a S-Video to component video converter, you can just use an S-Video cable.

Nope. At the back of your receiver there is the "FRONT" RCA jacks under the "PRE OUT" section (essentially the analog audio signal of front left and right channel), that's where you hook up with the RCA input of the headphone amp.

Think of it like a water tap. In the ideal case, we have a tap sticking out of the wall, once you open it and you get water.

However in your case you have another valve before your water tap. So you have to open the valve (ideally full blast) so that you can get water out of the tap. If the valve is opened half way, even if the tap is opened all the way, you'd only get half of the full blast.

Personally, I wouldn't do this. If the headphone jack of the receiver is decent I'd just plug straight into it for casual listening. and I'd plug the headphone amp to the source for my serious listening. But you don't necessary hear any deterioration in sound quality, depending on your gears and ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the explanation, I really appreciate it!
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATHFan, there's a MD/CD-R Out (Rec) that you can use. It's similar to the tape out I've used with my vintage NAD.

Is this better than using the Pre Out's Front ports?

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 29
I'm not sure, but it should be a line out, not effected by volume settings like the pre out is. I also don't know what it does with multi channel sound. Hopefully, your owners manual will say what is sent to it. I've never dealt with anything other than stereo so I'm not really sure what these AV receivers do for line out and headphone out of multi channel sound.

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

ATHFan, there's a MD/CD-R Out (Rec) that you can use. It's similar to the tape out I've used with my vintage NAD.

Yes, that is it. I missed that.
biggrin.gif

That's where you want to hook up your headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this better than using the Pre Out's Front ports?

Yep, it's unlikely that there is any signal processing applied to it.

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

I'm not sure, but it should be a line out, not effected by volume settings like the pre out is. I also don't know what it does with multi channel sound. Hopefully, your owners manual will say what is sent to it. I've never dealt with anything other than stereo so I'm not really sure what these AV receivers do for line out and headphone out of multi channel sound.

Thanks! You really helped me out.
atsmile.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 29
i'm not sure i really agree with navyblue... the water analogy doesn't really work because the second valve that you add in between the other two doesn't only limit the sound, it can also amplify it. this means that if you turn the middle valve up all the way and then control the amount with only the valve on the end, by barely opening it water will shoot out an uncontrollable amount.

you'd want a line level output that hasn't been changed. the signal coming out of the headphone jack has been through an amplifier and therefore will introduce extra noise/distortion that isn't necessary.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm not sure i really agree with navyblue... the water analogy doesn't really work because the second valve that you add in between the other two doesn't only limit the sound, it can also amplify it. this means that if you turn the middle valve up all the way and then control the amount with only the valve on the end, by barely opening it water will shoot out an uncontrollable amount.

The water analogy is only for the sake of simplification. If you want to get legal
biggrin.gif
, IME a pre amp output maxed up rarely (if at all) increase the output to a point that it is uncontrollable, that is not considering the gain setting on the headphone amp.

Quote:

you'd want a line level output that hasn't been changed. the signal coming out of the headphone jack has been through an amplifier and therefore will introduce extra noise/distortion that isn't necessary.

The same goes for pre amp line out.

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #23 of 29
I don't know the specs on your receiver but my Denon won't take a digital signal and convert it to analog for PRE OUT. I have to go analog in to get analog out.

So if your receiver *can* convert the digital signal, do this:

PS3 -> HDMI out -> Yamaha -> PRE OUT to headphone amp -> headphone

Since my receiver won't convert, I do it like this:

PS3 -> analog -> Denon -> PRE OUT to Corda 2 Move -> Beyer 770

It seems counter intuitive but my setup actually sounds better like this than straight from PS3 -> optical digital -> Denon headphone out. Wider sounstage and punchier, more defined bass. It's a pain to keep switching the settings on the PS3 audio out when I want to listen to music but the improvement in SQ is worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #24 of 29
Yamaha volume controls work on a plus(+) minus(-) system.

The preamp section can attenuate (softer) or amplify (louder) the signal. Turn the knob to where the display reads 0.00 Db and you're getting passthrough.

That being said, you're making this WAAAY too hard. You undoubtedly want to do one of two things:

1) Use the MD/CD-R out from the back panel. This is a true line-out, and is unconnected to the volume control.

2) Plug the headphones directly in to the headphone jack! It's a good jack! I've listened to it extensively, and I like it almost as much as my Millett Hybrid for low and high-impedance cans. Plus you can take advantage of Yamaha's directional processing engine if you're FPS gaming on the PS3, or listening to the surround track from movies. It works well for those purposes, though not for music.

Best of luck, and enjoy your setup!

Sep 12, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yamaha volume controls work on a plus(+) minus(-) system.

The preamp section can attenuate (softer) or amplify (louder) the signal. Turn the knob to where the display reads 0.00 Db and you're getting passthrough.

That being said, you're making this WAAAY too hard. You undoubtedly want to do one of two things:

1) Use the MD/CD-R out from the back panel. This is a true line-out, and is unconnected to the volume control.

2) Plug the headphones directly in to the headphone jack! It's a good jack! I've listened to it extensively, and I like it almost as much as my Millett Hybrid for low and high-impedance cans. Plus you can take advantage of Yamaha's directional processing engine if you're FPS gaming on the PS3, or listening to the surround track from movies. It works well for those purposes, though not for music.

Best of luck, and enjoy your setup!

Thanks for the confirmation! For now (and probably for a long time) I am planning to make use of the RX-V663 receiver without a headphone amplifier. This for the same reasons you mentioned. I just wanted to know how I should connect a headphone amplifier to the receiver for when it's necessary.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The water analogy is only for the sake of simplification. If you want to get legal
biggrin.gif
, IME a pre amp output maxed up rarely (if at all) increase the output to a point that it is uncontrollable, that is not considering the gain setting on the headphone amp.

The same goes for pre amp line out.

oh sorry, i thought that he was using the headphone out on the front as the input, not a line out that happened to be on the front. in that case there would be no distortion introduced as it wouldn't be passing through an amplifier

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

oh sorry, i thought that he was using the headphone out on the front as the input, not a line out that happened to be on the front. in that case there would be no distortion introduced as it wouldn't be passing through an amplifier

No problem.
smily_headphones1.gif

But pre amp output at the maximum volume likely does some amplification, which would possibly inject unwanted stuffs too.

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #28 of 29
Wow its been a while since Ive looked at this thread. So With my denon 788 which im using HDMI for audio and you CANT convert an analog signal to digital its still possible for me to use a headphone amp? correcT?

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...im using HDMI for audio and you CANT convert an analog signal to digital its still possible for me to use a headphone amp? correcT?

That's correct.

If you follow the way I did it, you need to connect the PS3 to your receiver via the analog a/v cable. Then you can use one of the analog outs on your receiver to connect to a headphone amp and voila!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back