Compatible mobile Amps/Dacs for the iPhone 5
May 31, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #106 of 125
@Hapster:  I've got the CEntrance HiFi-M8, the HRT microStreamer, the FiiO E17, and the beyerdynamic A200p (on loan).   I'm doing a review on the A200P that I should have up sometime tomorrow.  

I've worked through the issues of getting iPhones, iPods, and iPads to talk well to these DACs.  The A200P is definitely the most compact solution out there, and the microStreamer is a close second (but the microStreamer needs the Lightning-to-USB Camera adapter to work).   Here's a picture of the M8 (left) with an older iPod Touch and the microStreamer (right) with an iPhone 5. 

They all have advantages and disadvantages, though.  

On the Go-Dap DD Socket1, it is only a DAC.  Here's a thread on it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631997/venturecraft-new-ddc-dac-go-dap-dd-socket-1-product

VentureCraft has moved on to other DAC/amps, though.  I think this model is pretty old.  

May 31, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #107 of 125
Okay. I'm actually returning my C6, I loved the sound, but it just seemed to drain the battery too quickly and didn't work with my desktop.

So currently, if possible, what I'm looking for is:

1) Mobile DAC/Amp
2)-Some sort of built in eq switch (bass toggle, etc) [Fine without this, but nice addition]
3)iDevice compatible
4)PC compatible
5)Ability to charge iDevices

No price limit

I'm wondering if anything like this exists? I figured I may as well sell/return all my dacs, save up, and get a single unit, I'd rather stop "settling" for things that only have half of what I want.

May 31, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #108 of 125
Two DAC/amps that meet your requirements:

1)  V-MODA Vamp Verza
2)  CEntrance HiFi-M8

The M8 is more capable, IMO, but it has the drawback that the iDevice is only charged when the M8 is plugged in AND the iDevice is playing audio through the M8.  I've never used the Vamp Verza.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #109 of 125

I'm having compatibility cautions as well with my new iPod Nano. I plan on buying a Fiio E11 and hooking it up with my Nano, but obviously that won't right out of the box. So I've been doing some digging this last week on adapters and necessaries, and this is what I've came up with that will "hopefully" let my iPod Nano work with a Fiio E11.

7th Gen iPod Nano + Lighting to 30pin Adapter + Fiio L3 LOD Cable + Fiio E11 Amp + Headphones = Problem solved

Is this equation correct? Will that setup bypass the Nano amp and let Fiio E11 feed amp to my headphones without double amping? I'm pretty sure this will work, does anyone have this setup or tried it?

That works for me with an iPhone 5 and iPad mini going to a Fiio E17.

With that set-up, what DAC will be used? the iDevice's or that of the E17?

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #110 of 125
  Two DAC/amps that meet your requirements:

1)  V-MODA Vamp Verza
2)  CEntrance HiFi-M8

The M8 is more capable, IMO, but it has the drawback that the iDevice is only charged when the M8 is plugged in AND the iDevice is playing audio through the M8.  I've never used the Vamp Verza.

When you say "When the m8 is plugged in" you mean, it only charges the idevice while it, itself is charging? I never thought about that, going to try that with my Cayin C6.

What's with the difference in prices?

But wow, watched TYll's review of the Vamp, extremely impressive, literally everything I wanted, as well as what it looks like a crossfeed toggle. Very interesting!

I can probably find it for $500 or less, and the case is an extra $100, which is insane...I'll stick to velro tyvm
Anyway though, this would almost be the cost to sell my Cayin and desktop dac for just a single unit. So unless there's anything else out there like this, I may just get this is the following month.
Quote:

With that set-up, what DAC will be used? the iDevice's or that of the E17?

With a cck, it would be the E17.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #111 of 125
Would Lightning to MicroUSB adaptor (male to female) --> microUSB to microUSB (male to male) work???

Seems like this would be a lot more compact

link to lightning to microUSB adaptor:
(http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter)

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #113 of 125
well i ordered them already so I'll let you guys know if these work at all

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #114 of 125
  Would Lightning to MicroUSB adaptor (male to female) --> microUSB to microUSB (male to male) work???

Seems like this would be a lot more compact

link to lightning to microUSB adaptor:
(http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter)

this article unfortunately says no - that adapter is only good for charging. Sorry 

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #115 of 125
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #116 of 125
Anybody knows if the "V-MODA v-tuono-black Tuono 3.75-Inch Apple USB to Lightning Cable" can be used to connect an iphone 5 directly with an AMP/DAC like the TEAC HA-P50 or the Sony PHA-1?

Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FBCGMIG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #118 of 125
I did end up buying the vamp verza, found it for $325

The unit was taken out of the packaging, but the cables were still in theirs and it also came with the Tuono cable :p (Which isn't normally included).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back