Compatibility question- Newbie
Mar 31, 2014 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

arnol

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I have a question regarding compatibility.

I own a pair of ath-m50, Harman kardon ae in-ear headphones, and I'm planning on ordering a fiio e17 amp. ( also where's the lowest price to buy these?)

The only source I can get music from is an iphone 5, or my laptop. Will anything here be an issue with this?

I've never owned an amp before so any tips and suggestions will be appreciated.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 18
There won't be any compatibility issue from iPhone 5 or laptop. With laptop, you can use E17 as USB DAC + amp, pretty much like a external sound card. With iPhone 5, you can either use a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm interconnect cable (which is included with E17) to double amp the headphone-out of iPhone 5, or maybe get a camera connection kit so you can use E17 as USB DAC + amp. I can comfirm how well the later will work but there is plenty of discussion on it in the forum. Just search the main E17 discussion thread for detail.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks ClieOS I've been reading on the site and I read the camera connection kit doesn't work because the iphone 5 has to much power?

I Just want to know accurate information on the compatibility on the iphone 5 and E17. Thanks to whoever responds.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 18
Probably not having too much power but the E17 is drawing too much power from the iPhone. If an accessories is drawing too much power, the smartphone will stop it automatically. You might want to look at E18 instead. I seem to remember people are reporting it can work with iPhone 5 as E18 is self-powered.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 18
  Probably not having too much power but the E17 is drawing too much power from the iPhone. If an accessories is drawing too much power, the smartphone will stop it automatically. You might want to look at E18 instead. I seem to remember people are reporting it can work with iPhone 5 as E18 is self-powered.

Thanks a bunch, although I thought the e18 was for android devices. So you're 100% sure the E18 will work as a DAC for iphone 5? I'm trying to get the best amplifier for ath-50 and an iphone 5.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 18
The E18 isn't specific to android as far as I know,
It looks like the E18 allows you to use USB audio from android phones but I am not sure if usb is the only input for the E18.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 18

Thanks a bunch, although I thought the e18 was for android devices. So you're 100% sure the E18 will work as a DAC for iphone 5? I'm trying to get the best amplifier for ath-50 and an iphone 5.

I am not a iPhone user so I can't be 100% sure, but it is reported by another member:

Well, USB is digital and not analog, right? The digital to analog audio conversion has to happen somewhere after the digital signal ends, right? And it works through the USB cable with a CCK/Lightning-to-camera-adapter, ergo the DAC in the E18 is used and not the one in the iDevice.

Also, I believe iOS 7 opened up for digital audio output for iPhones (iPads had this already at iOS 6 I believe, I'm fairly new to iDevices myself).

Either way, this works flawless for me: iPhone/iPad -> Camera Connection Kit (I have the lightning variant) -> USB cable -> E18 -> Headphones -> Ears -> Brain -> Smile on my face.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 18
Well if the camera connection kit works then you are in the money :)

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 18
Well if the camera connection kit works then you are in the money
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I'm a bit skeptical.... One user says it might work and another says another user says it works.

If someone can please suggest either the E17 or E18 for usage with the iphone 5 please come here and post links to everything that I'll need to make it work. I'll forever be in your debt.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 18
Don't take what I was saying as being doubtful that it would work, I have never used the e18 myself or used an iPhone as a source.
Do a search through the forum for "iPhone 5 e18" and I'm sure some useful information will come up and confirm that it is compatible.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #14 of 18

Now I'm a bit skeptical.... One user says it might work and another says another user says it works.

If someone can please suggest either the E17 or E18 for usage with the iphone 5 please come here and post links to everything that I'll need to make it work. I'll forever be in your debt.

Well, I'm the one that ClieOS quoted. I have an iPhone 5S, for the record.

The E18 works just fine with the USB cable. You have to have a camera connection kit though. It looks like this:

You put the USB cable into that adapter cable.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #15 of 18
  Well, I'm the one that ClieOS quoted. I have an iPhone 5S, for the record.

The E18 works just fine with the USB cable. You have to have a camera connection kit though. It looks like this:

You put the USB cable into that adapter cable.

Awesome! Can you do the same thing for the E17?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back