Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #901 of 4,373
Yamaha 500 Pro vs B&W P7 ? I own 500 Pro, wonder if anything can sound better than 500 Pro in terms of separation, articulate dancing bass and sound stage... comfort wise, once Yams are worn over 3 months, clamping force is gone and they are comfortable.. I might get P7 to just wear in NYC subway, Yams are way too big to wear in public .. P7 seem to be sleeker when one is wearing them ... also, important, Yams are easily driven by S3 and Note 3, on Note 3 the sound is very close to that I would get from full-blown Yamaha RX 671 receiver, sound reproduction quality with Yams on Note 3 is amazing, and 500 Pro are very loud on just 2-3 volume notches from null .. How does P7 compare driven directly by smartphone internal amp, by Samsung or Apple ?

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #902 of 4,373

I now own a pair of these babies! Fantastic sounding and in my opinion one of the most beautifully designed headphones ever made. They do squeeze my head with a little too much force for my liking but that part may improve with use. 

Great photo!

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #904 of 4,373
  I have 5 or 6 hours on my P7's now, coming from Senn HD380pro.  I'm rather confused now.  Yesterday I loved my HD 380's.  Couldn't imagine anything better.  Last night when I compared them, they sounded very similar and I was scratching my head as far as what to do.  I came in this morning and listened to the P7's all morning with my NuForce ICON-IDO amp.  They sound great and are very comfortable.  Much more comfortable than my 380.  I just put my 380's back on after roughly 4 hours with the P7.  The 380's are big, heavy skull crushers by comparison.  And now I am looking for the blanket someone put over the tweater.  I think the 380 has a bit more bass, but suddenly the sound is muddy and muffled.  The P7 highs are much more vibrant, but not too sharp or bright.  The 380's isolate a bit better, likely due to the higher clamping.  I think I'm happier with a lighter clamp though as my ears aren't getting so hot.  There is still something to the treble in the P7's that is bothering me, but I can't put it into words.  Reading the glossary I'd say it sounds sibilent, like dragged out sss or ssshhhh, but it's in cymbals not in vocals.  Not sure what to make of it...  Overall after doing further A/B comparisons today, I like the P7 much more.  They are my first headphones north of $150 so I have a hard time knowing what is really good and what's not, but I'm happy.  Going to do some more comparisons and possibly go try out the Momentums at Best Buy again.  I wish there was someplace I could try out the Shure 1540's...

Funny, I also liked the 380 Pro until I spent time with the P7. You're right about the treble though, there's something "inaccurate/unnatural" about it but at the same time I didn't feel it was enough to detract from the overall musical enjoyment. The 380 Pro is accurate but not very enjoyable.

The 1540 has more accurate/natural but also more recessed treble than the P7. Best bet (if in USA) to try locally would be when music stores such as Guitar Center start carrying it.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #906 of 4,373

I'm considering doing a detailed comparison review between these three in the future. Would anyone be interested?

Sure. I own them all but what the hey...always like to hear others opinions and findings.

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #909 of 4,373
Also there seems to very little info on the beyer t51p's out there...are they not in the same league?

I'm sure they are, especially if they are more comfortable than dt1350 with similar or improved sound they will be amazing. They're just not trendy enough around these parts it seems (but they're also very new)

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #910 of 4,373
Also there seems to very little info on the beyer t51p's out there...are they not in the same league?

They are, but some would find them a bit smooth/slightly laid back compared to these others, but tonally they may beat them all.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #913 of 4,373

I'm considering doing a detailed comparison review between these three in the future. Would anyone be interested? 

My favourite 3 portable headphones...great photo. Looking forward to your impressions to see how they match up for you.

They are, but some would find them a bit smooth/slightly laid back compared to these others, but tonally they may beat them all.

Hi Dave: Are the T51p's out yet? I scored the DT1350s lower for lack of comfort and a rather wide range of sound signatures (over 4 different pairs)...hopefully beyer has learned from this?

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #914 of 4,373
  Hi Dave: Are the T51p's out yet? I scored the DT1350s lower for lack of comfort and a rather wide range of sound signatures (over 4 different pairs)...hopefully beyer has learned from this?

I have them.....got 'em from Amazon. Very seamlessly smooth and wonderful tone from lower mid to top....bass is more present than 1350. My 1350 honked like a goose in the mid. If you go inside the 1350 and adjust or remove the damping, it will suddenly turn into Beats. The padding sits right against the back of the driver, giving it that lean sound.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #915 of 4,373

I have them.....got 'em from Amazon. Very seamlessly smooth and wonderful tone from lower mid to top....bass is more present than 1350. My 1350 honked like a goose in the mid. If you go inside the 1350 and adjust or remove the damping, it will suddenly turn into Beats. The padding sits right against the back of the driver, giving it that lean sound.

Thanks Dave for the update. I'm curious to try them out. Do they hurt your ears (if you wear glasses)? The DT1350s put mine into a 3 point bend that became rather painful after about only 20 minutes? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back