Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 1, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #766 of 4,373
No m-100s in this thread? They're next on my list for a fun portable. They may not have the most refined sound but with genres I listen to I feel they will suit best and they look better than any portable I've seen. Aesthetic design is important if you're wearing them in public, IMO. Not overtly branded with logos though, which many cans (p7 included ) are.
The p7 looks too chunky and rectangular for my tastes regardless of how they sound. Also I imagine the leather wouldn't wear too well with outdoor exposure especially in cold climates.

I must say the 7520 is instruging too though.. It doesn't strike me as a portable more a closed monitoring can but I guess you could use it that way... Be better if it didn't have sony written on it though. It bugs me about my dt1350 too but at least you can choose to remove the outer white logo plate and make it more stealth.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #767 of 4,373
  Damn, the 7520 is like the ultimate portable headphones for me. Just by reading impressions like yours makes me crave for them. I really want to gradually step my way up though towards the 7520, and spend time appreciating inferior models. Could you please tell me though how much the 7520's actually benefit from portable amps?

I've only used it with my Fiio E07K and as with many amps, it cleans up the sound every so slightly. But it really doesn't need an amp, it's a very efficient headphone that's super easy to drive (I believe the efficiency is 108dB/mw).

Just realize that with the 7520 you hear what's been recorded, whether it's good, or bad, or warm or cold or wide soundstage or narrow soundstage. It doesn't add much if any flavour to the sound, if that's what you're looking for. It will not pretty up the music, it will just let you hear what's been recorded. I personally have realized that I like that, all that detail and transparency. But I'm sure not everyone will like it and I know a lot of people would want more bass. This 7520 can definitely produce a lot of bass, but only if it's actually in the music. It will not add anything to the music. It has quite a flat response (although there are probably even more neutral headphones out there). It will produce full and rich mids, but only if the song has been mastered to have full and rich mids. The treble will be very present and sparkly, but again only if it's in the music. It doesn't really seem to boost any particular frequency range. And gladly, one part of the frequency doesn't clutter another part of the frequency when playing back music on these headphones, so it just sounds very clear and balanced :)

I've actually had trouble falling asleep this whole week as I keep wanting to put on another song while listening with these headphones in bed :)

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #768 of 4,373
  I've actually had trouble falling asleep this whole week as I keep wanting to put on another song while listening with these headphones in bed :)

I envy you so much ._. I am currently using my Fiio E7 with my MDR-1R for travelling. The latter does its job well, but lacks so much in various departments. For $180, I'm happy though.

Are you using the stock coiled cable with your 7520? Is the connector on the earcup 3.5mm?

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #769 of 4,373
  I envy you so much ._. I am currently using my Fiio E7 with my MDR-1R for travelling. The latter does its job well, but lacks so much in various departments. For $180, I'm happy though.

Are you using the stock coiled cable with your 7520? Is the connector on the earcup 3.5mm?

I've been using the stock coiled cable and a cheap aftermarket cable I bought. It's a standard 3.5mm connector, so very easy to replace the coiled cable.

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #773 of 4,373
they just have not got the memo yet, that they are history.  
wink_face.gif

Look at the new Sennheiser hd-26 pro for something better sounding and more comfortable if you had your eyes on the Amperior and were prepared to spend that much for them.

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #775 of 4,373
Interesting.http://stereos.about.com/od/accessoriesheadphones/fl/NAD-Viso-HP-50-Headphone-Review.htm

Reviewer says more treble and less bass than PSBs. So wouldnt be my cup if tea. They *almost* as big+ugly IMO too; at least they fold flat. Not too bad I guess, the headband is interesting. Reminds me of Parrot zik.

Measurements are very weird and bumpy too, the dip from 60-100hz looks weeirrd.. Why..

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #776 of 4,373
Interesting.http://stereos.about.com/od/accessoriesheadphones/fl/NAD-Viso-HP-50-Headphone-Review.htm

Reviewer says more treble and less bass than PSBs. So wouldnt be my cup if tea. They *almost* as big+ugly IMO too; at least they fold flat. Not too bad I guess, the headband is interesting. Reminds me of Parrot zik.

Measurements are very weird and bumpy too, the dip from 60-100hz looks weeirrd.. Why..

I don't trust those measurements. Go to innerfidelity to check out the measurements there instead. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #777 of 4,373
Oh, I thought I'd stick to M500, but here's Tyll's NAD review and I'm not so sure LOL. BTW I still think that KEFs are the most beautiful portable headphones and these HP50 are among the ugliest, but hey - according to measurements they should sound great!

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #778 of 4,373
  Oh, I thought I'd stick to M500, but here's Tyll's NAD review and I'm not so sure LOL. BTW I still think that KEFs are the most beautiful portable headphones and these HP50 are among the ugliest, but hey - according to measurements they should sound great!

I love how the KEFs look for a portable can. Not a fashion statement by any means, but they manage to have a sleek appearance while not drawing attention to them because of how small and unobtrusive they are. I just dislike one thing about the design and that's the earcup swivel feature. Because they swivel in the wrong direction, it's just annoying when you wear them around the neck. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #780 of 4,373

I love how the KEFs look for a portable can. Not a fashion statement by any means, but they manage to have a sleek appearance while not drawing attention to them because of how small and unobtrusive they are.

Not a fashion statement? I disagree with you here, they look very fashionable, just in their own way, not in a "hey-b**ches,look-at-the-shiny-crap-on-my-head" way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back