Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Oct 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #556 of 4,373
  ^ Do you have a specific track you could link to that is exhibiting this for you?

Pretty much the whole Muse album 'The 2nd Law'.
Maybe Matt Bellamy's voice just doesn't synergize with the M500.

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #557 of 4,373
I actually prefered the momentum over the M500 all round, I like it's fit and comfort much better then the KEF m500, fit and comfort is as important to me to sound quality.

That said, M500 to my ears has superior sound quality over Momentum.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #558 of 4,373
To me it's as simple as this: I preferred the sound of the M500 over the Momentum, but I just couldn't listen to them for an extended period, the pressure just hurts my ears. So the next best thing was the Momentum, which still sounds great as well and is very comfortable (once you get the right fit). Oh and the Momentums isolate pretty well, much better than the M500. For commuting the Momentum is the way to go if you want to seal yourself off from the world :)

But since I've been infected with head-fi fever, I think I'm gonna give the P7 a proper spin by purchasing or borrowing those for a few days and compare them to the Momentum which I currently own. If I really like the P7, sound-wise and comfort-wise, I might sell my Momentum and keep the P7. Who knows... :)

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #559 of 4,373
  Pretty much the whole Muse album 'The 2nd Law'.
Maybe Matt Bellamy's voice just doesn't synergize with the M500.

Hadn't listened to The 2nd Law for a while, so it was a pleasure :)

But no, Bellamy's voice sounds very good to me through the M500's (off of C3/BH). Nothing cold or hollow about it at all. Just right imo. I did a bit of a comparison with my other headphones just to confirm.

What is your source?

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #560 of 4,373
  So nobody else is hearing a weird hollow/cold quality to vocals on the M500??? It's just me?

Midrange can sound a bit forward and a tad harsh if you crank up the volume. There is no bass bloat or treble spike to absorb it and it can get in your face. I prefer the M500 at low to moderate volume settings.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #561 of 4,373
The only thing that I noticed about the M500 that could be improved somewhat was a slightly harsh upper-mid to high range. Some instruments would sound a bit too sharp at times. But most of the time I wouldn't notice it.

Overall I always preferred the way vocals sound in the Momentum to the M500.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #562 of 4,373
Keep in mind that the Momentum has a sag in the upper mid so that may affect the way we hear the M500 in a direct comparison.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #563 of 4,373
  Hadn't listened to The 2nd Law for a while, so it was a pleasure :)
But no, Bellamy's voice sounds very good to me through the M500's (off of C3/BH). Nothing cold or hollow about it at all. Just right imo. I did a bit of a comparison with my other headphones just to confirm.
What is your source?

ipod classic 80GB + PA2V2
Which is only JUST leaning on the side of a cold/bright sound if anything.

So nobody else is hearing a weird hollow/cold quality to vocals on the M500??? It's just me?

Midrange can sound a bit forward and a tad harsh if you crank up the volume. There is no bass bloat or treble spike to absorb it and it can get in your face. I prefer the M500 at low to moderate volume settings.

Hmm... I always listen at moderate volumes, I just don't like cranking it up; hurts my ears. 
Perhaps it was a lemon. I'll try to audition another one in future, because my opinion seems to be consistently opposed to others experiences with it.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #565 of 4,373
2 ques Greq:
How much did you listen to the momentum before the kef?
How hard is the clamping pressure for your m500?

Before the KEF I was listening to a modded Fostex T10 (for an hour or so), but there was also a Momentum in the shop that didn't sound obviously different to mine that I could use to compare.

The KEF had extremely light clamping force.

My local hifi shop is VERY quiet, so there were no disturbances.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #566 of 4,373
Think your considerations are out of sync with several user reports here but as it is your ears and kit why does it matter.

Do not recall anyone "disrespecting" the Momentum. Come on, this ain't The Sopranos. I do not find the vocals cold because the soundstage is close and there is a slight warm tilt.

Have put my M500 up for sale on another forum as there is such a thing as too many headphones :p Yet to add GMP 8.35 to the sig :rolleyes:

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #567 of 4,373
Tighten the clamp on the kef and the sound will change. Its really easy to do.

The momentum is kinda like the m50 now. They used to be on top but as time goes on and new headphones are introduced, the momentum kind of slide back in the ranks... to some.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #568 of 4,373

The momentum is kinda like the m50 now. They used to be on top but as time goes on and new headphones are introduced, the momentum kind of slide back in the ranks... to some.

Isn't that usually the case when new headphones are introduced? Not all new headphones will be better, but every now and then a new one will be introduced that's significantly better than the competition and then everyone will jump on it.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #569 of 4,373
Look at the dt880, mdr 7506, etc. The momentum isnt worse than any closed can except for the kef m500, psb m4u, at $350.

But your right, the newest generation usually surpasses the last.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #570 of 4,373

Isn't that usually the case when new headphones are introduced? Not all new headphones will be better, but every now and then a new one will be introduced that's significantly better than the competition and then everyone will jump on it.

I wouldn't say the Momentum is like the M50 in terms of being replaced; mainly because of the price difference (If you're a poor student, the M50 is still fantastic value for money), but also because it simply serves different needs and tastes.

If you have smaller than average ears (like me), enjoy the relaxed treble response (like me), prefer its better isolation than the competition (like me), love brown leather (like me) then it's the right choice. 
If sound quality is the #1 factor then it only comes in at a very close 2nd or 3rd depending on taste/needs. 
I like good sound quality (or I wouldn't be here), but what's the point if you can't hear it because the headphones don't isolate as well as it's rivals? (My Momentum is almost used exclusively in outdoor/noisy environments, and excels at its job). 

I'll certainly try the M500 again with tighter clamping pressure in future. I may be a convert yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back