Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #136 of 4,373
Pete,

Great post but I got it backwards on the sense that I bought the Momentums from a Head-fi'er two weeks ago and I stumble on your review today.
Thanks mate for validating an impulse purchase. BTW, did you get your GS-X ? I know, different post but could not resist:smile:

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #137 of 4,373
I ordered the Momentums last week after a LOT of research.  I wish I saw your thread before as it would have made things much easier.
Anyways it was worth it and mine should arrive tomorrow (along with a NXV EX10s!).

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #138 of 4,373
Question about the fit: how tightly do the M500s clamp?
I've read that it's a light clamp, and that concerns me because I have a smaller than average head. For reference, I really like the SQ of my M-80s, but I just can't hold on to them any longer because of the fit (clamp is a little too light and they have no z-axis rotation on the cups). I'm aware given my small head most supra aurals will fit loosely, but if they are looser than the M-80s then it's a no go for me. It's not important that they stay on during running or anything like that, as I don't workout with headphones. I prefer circumaurals and bought M-100s on the notion that they would be circumaural M-80s and love the M-100s fit while I've increasingly grown to dislike the SQ. However 
So, a comparison in terms of tightness of clamp to any other supra aurals would significantly help me in figuring out if the M500s could in fact be the "one". 

The kef will clamp as much as you want them to. Just manually bend the headphone and it will get tighter or looser.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #140 of 4,373
Bought KEF M500s due to this thread. They are such amazing headphones. Probably one of few life-style headphones which really worth for the cost soundwise (with other being Skullcandy Aviator)

They are also very first on-ear headphones that are actually comfortable.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #141 of 4,373
MacedonianHero, have you considered adding the Polk UltraFocus 8000s to this shootout?  I searched the thread to double-check that no one has mentioned it yet and didn't get any results, so apologies if it was mentioned already.  Tyll seemed to enjoy the SQ so it would be interesting to hear your perspective against the others.  Great review and thank you for taking the time.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #142 of 4,373
Very informative thread. Thank you MH. If you are still looking for candidate I recommend you to try the Audio Technica ES700. Much cheaper then all the headphones reviewed here but add the cost of better earpads ( Lambskin ESW9a or WS55 pads ) to improve the comfort and you get a very good sounding portable headphone. Good looking too.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #143 of 4,373
In the spirit of "efficiency" I'll try and knock this one out in a single post. 
size]

Quote:
Pete,

Great post but I got it backwards on the sense that I bought the Momentums from a Head-fi'er two weeks ago and I stumble on your review today.
Thanks mate for validating an impulse purchase. BTW, did you get your GS-X ? I know, different post but could not resist:smile:

That's great. I think you'll be very happy with the Momentums. Great all rounders in terms of functionality. Yep....got a GS-X MKII and love it. 
size]

Quote:
I ordered the Momentums last week after a LOT of research.  I wish I saw your thread before as it would have made things much easier.
Anyways it was worth it and mine should arrive tomorrow (along with a NXV EX10s!).

They are fantastic headphones IMO and I can completely see why Tyll put them on his Wall of Fame. Let us know what you think when you get them.

Quote:
Bought KEF M500s due to this thread. They are such amazing headphones. Probably one of few life-style headphones which really worth for the cost soundwise (with other being Skullcandy Aviator)

They are also very first on-ear headphones that are actually comfortable.

I agree, the M500s are truly the first on-ear headphone that I can use for hours. The Aviators off great comfort and bang for the buck. I got them for under $100 and likely fill the role as best portable headphones for under $100 I could recommend.

Quote:
MacedonianHero, have you considered adding the Polk UltraFocus 8000s to this shootout?  I searched the thread to double-check that no one has mentioned it yet and didn't get any results, so apologies if it was mentioned already.  Tyll seemed to enjoy the SQ so it would be interesting to hear your perspective against the others.  Great review and thank you for taking the time.

They do look intriguing. Just haven't got around to hearing a pair. But if I see a pair I can snag, I'll try. I might have to clear out some of these headphones I've accumulated over the summer though. 

Quote:
Very informative thread. Thank you MH. If you are still looking for candidate I recommend you to try the Audio Technica ES700. Much cheaper then all the headphones reviewed here but add the cost of better earpads ( Lambskin ESW9a or EW55 pads ) to improve the comfort and you get a very good sounding portable headphone. Good looking too.

Thanks! I'll see if I can track down those headphones, but in all honestly I'm most likely going to slow down this thread. It started as a summer hobby from my main hobby (rigs) as I had to put them away for about 11 weeks due to some major house renovations. Now the renovations are pretty much over, so I'm planning on going back to my SR-009/HD800/LCD-3 and TH-900s. But I will see what I can do from time to time to keep updating the list. 
size]

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #144 of 4,373
***FYI....I just updated my original post to now include the Skullcandy Aviators. That makes 10 portable headphones I've gone through this year. Whew.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-and-kef-m500#post_9622611

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #145 of 4,373
100% agreed on the Aviators. Keep up the great work. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #147 of 4,373
I managed to audition the Sennheisher Momentum at a store as they had some I could hook up to my portable device. I enjoyed the sound, sounded like a more refined and less bassy version of my PX-100 ii. I had some issues with the comfort, squished my ears and got uncomfortable after a few minutes, I have larger ears. I also noticed some oddities in the upper midrange which gave it an unnatural sound to it at times compared to my current portable the PX-100 ii, but it could be because of fit issues I had with the Momentum. I want to hear the Momentum On-ears, but the store didn't have any on display.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #148 of 4,373
Quote:
***FYI....I just updated my original post to now include the Skullcandy Aviators. That makes 10 portable headphones I've gone through this year. Whew.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-and-kef-m500#post_9622611

The second coming of David Mahler for portable headphones. Way to go 
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #149 of 4,373
Quote:

I was about to say "what are the aviators doing in the 'featured content' picture?" 
tongue.gif

Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back