Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jun 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,126 of 4,373
At the end of the day everyone's ears are different. Theirs a difference between the best headphone and the best sounding headphone and both of those categories are going to differ based on people's ears and personal preference.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #4,127 of 4,373

Recently got both for ridiculous low prices.
I agree on most parts, with the exception of the mids, I think both headphones have excellent mids, I don't favor any over the other. And about comfort: the Momentum 2.0s have deeper earpads and fit my ears more comfortably.
But, yes imaging is better on the Beolab H6s and bass is overall a nod better on the Momentum 2.0's, a bit fuller and punchier, although the H6s go a bit deeper.
I love both headphones and I think they are very similar in tonality, which means they are mostly neutral and well balanced, the Beolabs more so than the Momentums. But the Momentums are overall more 'musical', they sound more effortless and dynamic, the Beoplays are more or less 'observant', but they have a gorgeous delicacy and transparancy that is unique in its own way.

I favor both over the NAD HP50, which surprisingly ranks higher on MacedonianHero's list. Both Momentum and BeoLab add more depth to the sound,  the Momentums are more dynamic, whereas the BeoPlays sound more balanced.

Both do have excellent mids, but the M2's had more "meat on the bones" in this range and thus got a slightly higher bump for me. YMMV of course.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #4,131 of 4,373
But as a trade off, the 1A is far superior in bass quantity to the M2.

The 1A mid forwardness sits between the M50x - which is somewhat recessed, and the M2 - which has a blazing hot mid-range.

The 1A is the ideal headphone for music listeners who still want a rich bass, with the higher fidelity soundstage, which not all these headphones offer to the same degree. So choose your favourite tone basically.

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #4,132 of 4,373
thank you for replying. I mainly listen to rap and electronic music, which of the 3 would you recommend? Bear in mind that in the Netherlands the m2's go for 250, the m50x for 165 and the 1A for 140 euros. 

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #4,133 of 4,373
Please excuse me for my lack in knowledge about headphones. I am new to this hifi world, so I do not know what my preferred type of headphone or tone is. I mainly listen to house, rap and  electronic music. What type of cans would suit my needs? Thank you in advance.

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #4,134 of 4,373
  Please excuse me for my lack in knowledge about headphones. I am new to this hifi world, so I do not know what my preferred type of headphone or tone is. I mainly listen to house, rap and  electronic music. What type of cans would suit my needs? Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I DEFINITELY won't be able to help you here!  

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #4,135 of 4,373
Hi,

First thank you ! for this extensive review/comparison of portable headphone, each time I'm even considering a purchase it has become a de facto first step !

So I'm a proud owner of a Momentum M2 (wired, because the Wireless had severe bluetooth issues when I was buying my cans, and as I'm very sensible to ANC pressure, which doesn't go very well with the always on nature of the M2W....).

However, for practicality I've been looking at a pair of wireless cans, I've played around with a sony SBH20 receiver (no hiss, no latency, very little compression artifact) and the overpriced bTunes (horrible hiss, too loud for the poor 18 ohm M2, and terrible latency) but it's more hassle than it is worth.

So, I've been looking at the Beoplay H7, but I'm still on the fence. I've read that they are a lot brighter than the M2, which gave me pause.

I haven't had a lot of experience with sound signature : I have a pair of ruark audio mr1 speakers at home (which have somewhat of a warmer sound), and the aforementioned M2, which is also on the warm side, and my only experience with brighter headphones was with a pair of Sennheiser MM50 (which I didn't like that much).

I'm not really a basshead, as I lean more toward softer musics (folk, classical, pop, pop/rock, alt rock), especially anything with strong vocals, or vocal harmonies.

So, enough with the backstory here my questions :

1. Given that I strongly enjoy the M2, but disliked brighter headphones like the Parrot Zik or the MM50, will I enjoy the H7 ?
  2. Given that my use will mainly be at home (but I require bluetooth and not RF), is the H7 a good choice ?
  3. My usecase will comport a lot of TV/movie watching in addition to music listening, how do they H7 fair in that regard ?
  4. Did you experience a lot of hiss/white noise while in bluetooth ? Any latency ? (very important for movie watching)
  5. Is the H7 worth 350 € if only used as a home headphone (with the M2 as travel one) ?

Thanks in advance for any insight you could provide :)

And thanks again for this amazing list !

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,136 of 4,373
  Hi,

First thank you ! for this extensive review/comparison of portable headphone, each time I'm even considering a purchase it has become a de facto first step !

So I'm a proud owner of a Momentum M2 (wired, because the Wireless had severe bluetooth issues when I was buying my cans, and as I'm very sensible to ANC pressure, which doesn't go very well with the always on nature of the M2W....).

However, for practicality I've been looking at a pair of wireless cans, I've played around with a sony SBH20 receiver (no hiss, no latency, very little compression artifact) and the overpriced bTunes (horrible hiss, too loud for the poor 18 ohm M2, and terrible latency) but it's more hassle than it is worth.

So, I've been looking at the Beoplay H7, but I'm still on the fence. I've read that they are a lot brighter than the M2, which gave me pause.

I haven't had a lot of experience with sound signature : I have a pair of ruark audio mr1 speakers at home (which have somewhat of a warmer sound), and the aforementioned M2, which is also on the warm side, and my only experience with brighter headphones was with a pair of Sennheiser MM50 (which I didn't like that much).

I'm not really a basshead, as I lean more toward softer musics (folk, classical, pop, pop/rock, alt rock), especially anything with strong vocals, or vocal harmonies.

So, enough with the backstory here my questions :

1. Given that I strongly enjoy the M2, but disliked brighter headphones like the Parrot Zik or the MM50, will I enjoy the H7 ?
  2. Given that my use will mainly be at home (but I require bluetooth and not RF), is the H7 a good choice ?
  3. My usecase will comport a lot of TV/movie watching in addition to music listening, how do they H7 fair in that regard ?
  4. Did you experience a lot of hiss/white noise while in bluetooth ? Any latency ? (very important for movie watching)
  5. Is the H7 worth 350 € if only used as a home headphone (with the M2 as travel one) ?

Thanks in advance for any insight you could provide :)

And thanks again for this amazing list !

Thanks for the kind feedback. 
redface.gif
 Based on your comments of the Parrot Zik, I wouldn't recommend the H7s then as they are slightly brighter to my ears. Congrats on your M2s! Great headphones!

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #4,137 of 4,373
I see, thanks for the quick answer.

I saw that the Beoplay came with an equalizer/presets app. Did you have the occasion to play with it ? Could it affect the sound signature without too much impairing it's qualities ? (I heard B&O DSP was pretty good)

And did you by any chance had the occasion to watch some movies with the H7 ? I'm really concerned about hiss and latency.

I'm still very intrigued by the H7, maybe it will the occasion to re-experiment with brighter headphone...lot to think about :)

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #4,138 of 4,373
  I see, thanks for the quick answer.

I saw that the Beoplay came with an equalizer/presets app. Did you have the occasion to play with it ? Could it affect the sound signature without too much impairing it's qualities ? (I heard B&O DSP was pretty good)

And did you by any chance had the occasion to watch some movies with the H7 ? I'm really concerned about hiss and latency.

I'm still very intrigued by the H7, maybe it will the occasion to re-experiment with brighter headphone...lot to think about :)

I did play with them and they were quite helpful, but I'm not too big a fan of EQ as it can add distortions into the picture. No worries with "hiss" with the H7s.

Cheers

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #4,139 of 4,373
Hi,

How do the Audeze sines compare to B&W P7s? I really like my P7s, have been using them for about 2 years; but they are a little too big for carrying around. I also would prefer a little better mids than what they have to offer.

Jul 11, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #4,140 of 4,373
Hi,

How do the Audeze sines compare to B&W P7s? I really like my P7s, have been using them for about 2 years; but they are a little too big for carrying around. I also would prefer a little better mids than what they have to offer.

Speaking of mids, the P7s are a bit withdrawn...thankfully the SINE's have wonderfully rich and detailed mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back