Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,706 of 4,373
Just recently got the pm3 and I've got to agree on their no.1 status here. I own a few of the other cans in the comparison and, while they are great in their own right, they can't compete with the oppo's with regard to their precision, and, well, just about anything else. Got my endgame cans for the time being.

Congrats! They are fantastic headphones and are built / sound like much more expensive cans!

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #3,707 of 4,373
Hi everybody! 

I'm a new owner of an FIIO x3 2nd gen, and I've spent already a number of days trying to figure it out which cans I should use with..

I used to use an Ipod touch 5th, and did the job along with the a pair of first gen Sennheiser momentum on ear. Sometimes needed some more juice to power up the momentum's, but in the end was fair enough. And, after some listening hours became to hurt my ears - I found the ear pads kind of hurting.

Now I need a pair of good noise isolation over ear closed back cans, good enough to pair them with the FIIO. Although closed back cans lacks in sound stage I know that there are some nice pairs out there.
The price arround  400AUD (yup, Australian).

This is what I found and I think could be a good choice:

1.Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
2. Sony MDR-1A
Adio Technica ATH-MSR7​

4.​
 ​
Oppo PM-3 (even though little bit ​
pricey)​

Main music genres are:​
1. Hans Zimmer/Dead Can Dance ...... ​
2. Norah Jones/Diana Krall ......​
2. Creedence CR/Johny Cash .......​
3. Metallica/Manowar ......​

I really need your advice, especially from those who own a FIIO X3 either those who had a chance to listen it paired with some good cans.​
If there are some other alternatives to these 4 cans already mentioned please feel free to name it.​

I'm looking forward to read your comments.​
Thanks guys!​

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #3,708 of 4,373
The new Sony is supposed to be a better bet than the current MDR 1A, and less expensive as well. I would also strongly encourage you to consider the KEF M500. It isn't perfect, but it is a very nice sounding headphone, quite portable, looks good, well built. Not sure if you can try before you buy, but ideally you could hear them.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #3,710 of 4,373
Hi hawk
I own the x3ii and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (wired, over ear). They pair really well. I tried the Oppo PM3 as well and that paired really well. The reason i choose the Senn was the way they folded up (smaller) and the Bass was more elevated. I think think the Oppo is overall the better headphone but what i wanted to do with the headphones and the price difference swayed me to the Senn's. Hope that's some help.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #3,711 of 4,373
  The new Sony is supposed to be a better bet than the current MDR 1A, and less expensive as well. I would also strongly encourage you to consider the KEF M500. It isn't perfect, but it is a very nice sounding headphone, quite portable, looks good, well built. Not sure if you can try before you buy, but ideally you could hear them.

Hey "Sonic Defender", I think you're referring at new MDR 10, right? I'm gonna give them a try as soon as I'll have a chance. I've heard good things about the KEF's, but is hard to get one for a try... Thanks!

I agree about the oppo pm 3 being number 1 as i own them.

Fantastic sounding headphones that even i crave to hear more from this headphone.

Totally agree Daniel, the PM 3's are a great deal, and the planar magnetic cans will be always a strong alternative to the dynamic ones. I am really interested to have a test session with one of this Oppo's. But same as KEF's, it's kinda hard to find a pair to test it around here. Thanks!

Hi hawk
I own the x3ii and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (wired, over ear). They pair really well. I tried the Oppo PM3 as well and that paired really well. The reason i choose the Senn was the way they folded up (smaller) and the Bass was more elevated. I think think the Oppo is overall the better headphone but what i wanted to do with the headphones and the price difference swayed me to the Senn's. Hope that's some help.

Hey "Crafty", the Sennheiser's are also one of my favorites on my list. I tried only the first gen of the wired Momentum's over ear and I found them a little bit uncomfortable after wearing some time. Heard that the new 2.0 gen are much more comfy since they changed the pads both in size and materials.
As I said, the PM3's are hard to find here, and I'm not gonna buy kinda blind, without having a try first.
On the other hand the x3 ii's gain you're keeping on low or high. Found that on my on ear first gen of momentum's, the low gain gives a little bit much warmer sound, with the low end bass being much more warmer, deeper. The high gain, though, gives much more tight and kinda speedy low ends. 
Thanks!

Have anyone tried the ATH MSR 7?
I've read a lot of reviews and no one was complain about them, from any perspective.

Small background: 
I started with Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen+ along with AKG k451 and Sennheiser CX 300ii.
After a while, took an Ipod Touch 5th (found less fidelity and sound stage than the ZEN+)...
The new FIIO x3 ii was a step ahead, and found that the AKG k451 and Sennheiser Momentum on ear doesn't offer the sound as much as I want.

I own three over ear closed back cans Senn's HD265 linear, HD280pro, and an ATH M50s  but from my perspective they are are not designed as portable. Kinda bulky for my taste. 

Having this said, I'm waiting for more interesting opinions from you guys.

Thanks guys!

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #3,712 of 4,373
^ I have both the KEF and Oppo, and while the Oppo is an addictive signature, the KEF provides a decent amount of the warmth with more balance. Still, you really can't go wrong with either, but it is a shame that trying them is so difficult for you. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #3,715 of 4,373
  if thats the case i agree with @MacedonianHero h6s! 

Based on those criteria...I think the H6s would be his choice. 
redface.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #3,716 of 4,373
^ What a shock, two Canadians politely agreeing. Who would ever think that would happen?

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #3,718 of 4,373
I would definitely like to see where you stack the MO-FI in your OP. I LOVED them and considered them totally portable, even weighing 400 pounds and being as comfortable as a medieval torture device for the cranium. Plug in to phone, no amp, short cable, huge incredible smooth LOUD sound across everything I like, Bach to Animals As Leaders. They went back because the top band MUST be redesigned to carry that weight. I couldn't take the stab straight down to the top of my skull after 2 hours of use. Heartbreak.

Add em in... and thanks for such an amazing post! 

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #3,719 of 4,373
Momentum M2 vs NAD Viso HP50? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back