Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 7, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #3,691 of 4,373
^ Cool...thanks for the link! 

I'll have to check them out. I've been a bit busy and should refocus a bit on this thread again. 
smile.gif

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #3,693 of 4,373
Another candidate for review and comparison - AKG N60NC
http://www.trustedreviews.com/akg-n60-review
I heard them only shortly, but I was impressed with the efficiency of the noise cancelling and  they had very good sound.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #3,694 of 4,373
Nov 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,695 of 4,373
Nov 14, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #3,696 of 4,373
@MacedonianHero I notice you are bullish on the PM3. I would have to agree. I just recently picked up a pair (before reading your take on them) and I am now deciding if I will also keep my KEF M500 (which I really like). The PM3s are seductive for sure and once my Onkyo DP-X1 arrives along with the balanced cable I'm having made for the PM3 I should have a sick portable rig. Cheers.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #3,697 of 4,373
  @MacedonianHero I notice you are bullish on the PM3. I would have to agree. I just recently picked up a pair (before reading your take on them) and I am now deciding if I will also keep my KEF M500 (which I really like). The PM3s are seductive for sure and once my Onkyo DP-X1 arrives along with the balanced cable I'm having made for the PM3 I should have a sick portable rig. Cheers.

Mac gave the nod to the PM-3 over the M2. I had have both multiple times and I still think my favorite would be the wired M2 but by a hair. They are probably a little more fun to listen too and the PM-3 can be a little boring and I wish it had a touch more bass. M2 is a little wider as well. You could almost toss a coin and would surely be happy with both.

I am in the boat with you we will see what the Onkyo has to offer, it really has big shoes to fill compared to the AK daps. Feature wise on paper and priced a little below the AK's used, the Onkyo checks some boxes without a doubt. The difference I audibly heard from previously having a couple of Fiio dap's and a Pono player and going to the AK's was a eye opener to me. That said the Pono in balanced mode has incredible sound.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #3,698 of 4,373

I am in the boat with you we will see what the Onkyo has to offer, it really has big shoes to fill compared to the AK daps.

I am very curious to hear the M2, but the PM3 has more than enough bass for me. I actually think more might be distracting. Yes like you I am really hoping that the Onkyo sounds as good as it seems like it should. The odds of it being poorly done are low, and I like the Android 5.1.1 OS. Hopefully it can move up to Marshmallow as I hear it has significantly increased battery performance.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #3,699 of 4,373

They are very good headphones indeed! I'm glad you're enjoying them as well!  :)

Mac gave the nod to the PM-3 over the M2. I had have both multiple times and I still think my favorite would be the wired M2 but by a hair. They are probably a little more fun to listen too and the PM-3 can be a little boring and I wish it had a touch more bass. M2 is a little wider as well. You could almost toss a coin and would surely be happy with both.

I am in the boat with you we will see what the Onkyo has to offer, it really has big shoes to fill compared to the AK daps. Feature wise on paper and priced a little below the AK's used, the Onkyo checks some boxes without a doubt. The difference I audibly heard from previously having a couple of Fiio dap's and a Pono player and going to the AK's was a eye opener to me. That said the Pono in balanced mode has incredible sound.

I still hold the M2s in very high regard and picking between them and the PM-3s is a toss up to personal preferences and musical preferences.

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #3,701 of 4,373
I'm between beoplay H6, NAD Viso HP50, momentum 2 and oppo pm-3. I want closed, wide soundstage, clear highs and tight bass. Under $400. HEEELP

Rule the PM3 out for sure then. The highs are slightly soft and the sound stage is certainly more narrow than it is wide. I had the NAD for a while, nice sound, but please don't wear them in public.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #3,703 of 4,373
  NAD needs to release an HP50 update without the Frankenstein headband.

Both the headband and smallish earcups are the reasons I no longer have the HP50 - I loved and miss the sound!

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #3,704 of 4,373
I'm between beoplay H6, NAD Viso HP50, momentum 2 and oppo pm-3. I want closed, wide soundstage, clear highs and tight bass. Under $400. HEEELP

If you don't care about strong bass, but rather just "tight" and sound staging, I'd look into the H6s personally. But overall, you know which ones I prefer. 
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #3,705 of 4,373
Just recently got the pm3 and I've got to agree on their no.1 status here. I own a few of the other cans in the comparison and, while they are great in their own right, they can't compete with the oppo's with regard to their precision, and, well, just about anything else. Got my endgame cans for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back