Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Sep 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,661 of 4,373
  Awesome headphone, however this is a portable thread and those are not portable. I regretted the day I sold my X2.

I heard an X2 at a meet recently and it was really nice sounding, but yep, not portable really.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3,662 of 4,373
  Hey man, I get what your saying. I am the same about materials, however it needs to be stated in case materials and build quality are a consideration for some. You enjoy the 1A but have found that you enjoy you KEF more. I hear you on that. I enjoyed the 1A but found that I enjoyed others, based on sq,build quality and bang for the buck, more than I did the 1A. Bang for the buck is relative to what one thinks encompasses that.

No worries brother, I know what you meant and you didn't offend me at all. I find you to be a well balanced and respectful poster whenever I come across your posts so no need to worry at all. Cheers.

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #3,663 of 4,373
Hi, I'm new here, but I really liked your nice and elaborate reviews.
I was actually sold on the B&W P7, but your review pushen me back towards the Momentum. My colleague has got the first version, so I know they're really good.
Now my music taste is pretty broad, but I really like electro and old school rap/ hip-hop (Daft Punk, Q-tip, A tribe called quest, slummvillage, etc), so a good sounding deep bass is important. But I also like rock, (lush, immersive) pop music (LED Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Kings of Leon, Radiohead, Bon Iver, etc) so clear vocals and instruments are equally important.
Would you prefer the Momentum 2.0 (€319) over the B&W P7 (€399), keeping in mind the price difference. And if the Momentum is the winner, is the 2.0 version worth €80 more than his predecessor? I do really fancy the greater portability of it. Or do you have an even better one (or cheaper & as good) to suggest and make my decision a bit more difficult :wink:
I normally don't pay this much for headphones, so I'm giving it much thought...

Thanks a lot!

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #3,664 of 4,373
I was actually sold on the B&W P7, but your review pushen me back towards the Momentum. My colleague has got the first version, so I know they're really good.
Now my music taste is pretty broad, but I really like electro and old school rap/ hip-hop (Daft Punk, Q-tip, A tribe called quest, slummvillage, etc), so a good sounding deep bass is important. But I also like rock, (lush, immersive) pop music (LED Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Kings of Leon, Radiohead, Bon Iver, etc) so clear vocals and instruments are equally important.
Would you prefer the Momentum 2.0 (€319) over the B&W P7 (€399), keeping in mind the price difference. And if the Momentum is the winner, is the 2.0 version worth €80 more than his predecessor? I do really fancy the greater portability of it. Or do you have an even better one (or cheaper & as good) to suggest and make my decision a bit more difficult :wink:

Thanks a lot!
Yes the 2 is worth the 80 Euro extra.

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,665 of 4,373
I would agree.  I have spent the last 2 weeks with the Momentum 2, P7, Denon MM400 and before full burn in the Momentums came across really well.  In the end I think the MM400 is my new favorite, followed very closely by the P7.  The Momentums are not bad at all though.  All comes down to personal preference.  I could be just as happy with them I think.  To me they were a bit sibilant in treble and a but boomy/muddy in the bass, thought they had a tad more bass.  I also like bass, but find the accuracy of the MM400's bass just as or more pleasing to the higher quantity of bass from the Momentum.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #3,666 of 4,373

Thanks a lot!

I got my momuntum 1 for $130. For that price even $160. Nothing comes close to that value but for 80 euros. I could go either way.

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #3,667 of 4,373
So I received a set of ATH MSR7's to replace my AKG K550's. I love the sound, but don't think I can stand the comfort. I'm thinking about returning them for momentum 2.0's, think I'm gaining more in the comfort section than I'm losing in sound? I know they have very different signatures as the ATH are more detail oriented, and the momentum's being warmer, but I'm thinking I'll still be fine with the momentum's. I'm looking for overall sound quality and comfort under $300. What are your thoughts? Momentum's? NAD HP50(not as comfy I've heard?)? 

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #3,668 of 4,373
So I received a set of ATH MSR7's to replace my AKG K550's. I love the sound, but don't think I can stand the comfort. I'm thinking about returning them for momentum 2.0's, think I'm gaining more in the comfort section than I'm losing in sound? I know they have very different signatures as the ATH are more detail oriented, and the momentum's being warmer, but I'm thinking I'll still be fine with the momentum's. I'm looking for overall sound quality and comfort under $300. What are your thoughts? Momentum's? NAD HP50(not as comfy I've heard?)? 

What are the comfort issues? I have moved from K550 to PM3. While the clamping pressure is higher, they are an upgrade.

I didn't like the momentums. Wooly prominent bass. The PM3 is far better, but lacks the K550 air/brightness. But still a big upgrade.

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #3,669 of 4,373
What are the comfort issues? I have moved from K550 to PM3. While the clamping pressure is higher, they are an upgrade.

I didn't like the momentums. Wooly prominent bass. The PM3 is far better, but lacks the K550 air/brightness. But still a big upgrade.

Just overall comfort. Clamping force, headband is uncomfy, earpads a little too shallow, they get hot quickly...

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #3,670 of 4,373

Just overall comfort. Clamping force, headband is uncomfy, earpads a little too shallow, they get hot quickly...

I've had the Momentum 1's, K550's, HP50's, and now the MSR7's (twice).

Of those, I think the MSR7's come out on top in terms of SQ.
Initially, though, I was put off by the clamping force of the headband,
and reluctantly returned them after a couple of weeks.

I replaced them with a headphone I'd read and heard great things about -
the Shure 1540.  ($499; no discounts available.)

I wanted closed headphones, BTW.
Well, the Shure's were quite impressive and devilishly comfortable.
But as I listened to them, I kept on thinking about the great sound
put out by the MSR7's.  After more reading on the subject, I became
confident that their headband would loosen up over time.

So, after about 2-3 weeks, back went the 1540's, and I bought a new
set of MSR7's.

As soon as I started listening to them, I felt I'd made the right decision.

And since I've had them, the headband tightness is, in fact, easing
to the point that it's already "reasonable".

I really think the MSR7's are truly outstanding headphones, and a great
bargain to boot.

As it's late here now, I can''t really delve into the differences with
the other headphones mentioned.  But I do look forward to hearing
the B&W 7 (revised) (I do have B&W speakers FWIW); and the 
Oppo PM3.  (Though Tyll made me laugh when he said listening
to them was like going to a party with only honor students or some
such...everything done well w/o any pizzazz or excitement.)

Cheers,

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #3,671 of 4,373
Thanks for the info, I have 3 more weeks to return them so I'll keep trying to see if they will loosen up. I can get a great deal on the B&W P7 at $270 or the momentum 2.0's at $220 so there's that too. Or the MDR1A for $200 which I hear is comfy but sound quality is meh

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #3,672 of 4,373
I have heard the Momentums II yesterday and they are very good, not to compare with the I really, in fact they come close to my open Fidelio L2. They will be my choice for the next flight on holiday.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,673 of 4,373
  Thanks for the info, I have 3 more weeks to return them so I'll keep trying to see if they will loosen up. I can get a great deal on the B&W P7 at $270 or the momentum 2.0's at $220 so there's that too. Or the MDR1A for $200 which I hear is comfy but sound quality is meh

The biggest difference between all these is the sound signature, bulk and ultimately, comfort.

Just a little clarification beforehand; Treble resolution is quality, bass tightness is quality, sound clarity is quality... Brighter signatures are not higher quality, that's personal preference.

The MDR-1A looks almost identical to the MSR7, but comfort couldn't be more different. You'll find the 1A to be much more comfortable if the MSR7 was the right size for you.

MDR-1A has a modern, dark and bassy sound signature. MSR7 has a bright and forward, classic sound signature.

The bass punch is a lot higher on the 1A in compared to the MSR7, tightness is lower because of this.
Saying that, I can't enjoy any music on classic signature headphones, so the sacrifice on bass quality becomes a moot point for me.

From what I've tried; Momentum 2.0, B&W P7, MDR-1A, Fidelio X2, Beoplay H6, M50x, all had the same sound clarity.

Do keep trying many headphones, but let me say this; when you do find the right headphone, you will not care so much about quality in the grand scheme of things.

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #3,674 of 4,373

I haven't heard the MSR7's.  I have compared side by side the Momentum 2, P7 and Denon MM400.  Sound and comfort is close between all three.  In every category I would put the Momentum in 3rd personally.  I haven't gone back to do a side by side of the P7 and MM400.  The P7's are a bit cold and stiff when you put them on.  The MM400's are super comfortable from the second you put them on.  I have been using the MM400's daily for a couple weeks now after using the P7's daily for the last 2 years.  To me the M2 has a bit of sibilance, a bit boomy or bloated on the bass, and the construction feels a notch below the others.  And I can hear inside the right ear cup every time the cord touches something.  Very irritating.  So I think the M2's will finally go back.  I also have the MDR-1ABT.  They are close to my top 2, which is impressive for a BT set.  They are also a notch below in construction and comfort.  You really can't go wrong between the 4, though all but the M2 and the MDR-1A are over $300 (actually the M2 is usually 350 but I got mine for 299.)  

The MM400 is just ridiculously detailed with tight, controlled bass that isn't overwhelming.  Honestly I haven't played my P7's in over a week now, so I need to give them some head time tonight.

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #3,675 of 4,373
I haven't heard the MSR7's.  I have compared side by side the Momentum 2, P7 and Denon MM400.  Sound and comfort is close between all three.  In every category I would put the Momentum in 3rd personally.  I haven't gone back to do a side by side of the P7 and MM400.  The P7's are a bit cold and stiff when you put them on.  The MM400's are super comfortable from the second you put them on.  I have been using the MM400's daily for a couple weeks now after using the P7's daily for the last 2 years.  To me the M2 has a bit of sibilance, a bit boomy or bloated on the bass, and the construction feels a notch below the others.  And I can hear inside the right ear cup every time the cord touches something.  Very irritating.  So I think the M2's will finally go back.  I also have the MDR-1ABT.  They are close to my top 2, which is impressive for a BT set.  They are also a notch below in construction and comfort.  You really can't go wrong between the 4, though all but the M2 and the MDR-1A are over $300 (actually the M2 is usually 350 but I got mine for 299.)  

The MM400 is just ridiculously detailed with tight, controlled bass that isn't overwhelming.  Honestly I haven't played my P7's in over a week now, so I need to give them some head time tonight.

I had to try to enjoy the Denon and never had to try to enjoy the M2. It is great how we can have differing opinions on the same hp's. I always kinda felt I missed out on something by not hearing the P7. But to me the M2 was clearly better than the MM400 and out of three pairs of the M2 I never detected a hint of sibilance. I also think the build quality is top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back