Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Sep 10, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3,646 of 4,373

1A is significantly better than the 1R. Bass is deeper, the detachable cable socket is fixed, the delicious Sony house sound is preserved.

There is no easily discernible difference in SQ between any of these headphones. The biggest difference is the sound presentation each will give you.

If using mainly at desktop; 1A, HP50, and P7 are your best bets. The T51i and M2 have better portability and fashion but less on long term comfort, with a rigid headband on the M2 and the on-ear T51i design - ear size/shape variable long term comfort.

The P7 and 1A are the entertainment presentations where bass quantity and feeling is the star. They are much easier to move to coming from a cheap pair of closed headphones or any IEM. Although with quantity, bass speed takes a slight hit. More of the music you listen too will be coloured by the headphone, neither a good or bad thing, but it tries to make everything you put on enjoyable in some way.

The T51i, M2 and HP50 are the more balanced presentations. Bass is present but not nearly as visceral in feeling. The upside is the bass is faster and doesn't invade the sound where it shouldn't. The M2 has the biggest accentuated midrange, which isn't suitable for very loud listening. The HP50 is dark and laid back, but might smear a bit of the attack and dynamics as a drawback. The T51i without a full seal won't be able to envelope you in soundstage as much as the circumferential headphones can.

All depends on whether you like coloured or balanced headphones.
Fans of balanced headphones will say the 1A is too bassy and messy. Fans of coloured headphones will say headphones like the M2 and HP50 are too boring and unenjoyable.

Decide on which presentation you want first - that's the most helpful thing I can tell you. Good luck and happy shopping!

Ah, I get where you're coming from. I guess I might go for the 1As or the P7s. 

The entertainment presentation sounds really nice for the genres I listen to as they include more bass than the others.

How does the P7 stack up against the 1A though? They both have a richer sound than the others so I think they have very similar signature. 

Very nice and detailed explanation by the way!

Thanks for the advice guys

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #3,647 of 4,373
I actually find the P7, M2 and 1ABT very similar sound wise. The M2 is the most comfortable initially. The other 2 aren’t bad. Over time both the M2 and the 1ABT start to hurt the top of my right ear. The P7 can sit on my head all day.

Tomorrow I am going to try the MM400 and see how they fair in longer sessions. I am trying decide on some to compliment my P7’s. I have already ruled out QC25, GC20, HP50...

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,648 of 4,373
I tried the MM400 all morning.  A bit more detailed, but less bass and not crazy about the overall tone/presentation.  To me, the M2 has the most bass, though it is a bit boomy at times.

I tried the GC20's again.  I REALLY want to like them.  Construction, comfort are perfect.  I love the way they fold and the carrying case.  But they are just bass canons that don't go loud enough.  They are best with the treble booster EQ setting in iOS, but I prefer to use cans with the EQ off.  And they still just weren't quite to my liking tone wise.  So I'm back to evaluating between the P7, M2 and 1ABT.  Very happy with all 3 and may just keep them all.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,649 of 4,373
  I tried the MM400 all morning.  A bit more detailed, but less bass and not crazy about the overall tone/presentation.  To me, the M2 has the most bass, though it is a bit boomy at times.

I tried the GC20's again.  I REALLY want to like them.  Construction, comfort are perfect.  I love the way they fold and the carrying case.  But they are just bass canons that don't go loud enough.  They are best with the treble booster EQ setting in iOS, but I prefer to use cans with the EQ off.  And they still just weren't quite to my liking tone wise.  So I'm back to evaluating between the P7, M2 and 1ABT.  Very happy with all 3 and may just keep them all.

Oh, that's very surprising. I would have thought the 1A would have a lot more bass
than the M2 - then again, the 1ABT and 1A might be a lot different in sound.

The GC20s look reeaaally nice. They look exactly like the Zik, 

I think I am just gonna get the MDR-1A tho, they are much less expensive than the others.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #3,650 of 4,373

Let me say this...I have also owned the MM400. It is very difficult to judge it in a day. I am not a burn in person but look at the dedicated thread. These take a lot of time to adjust. The boomiest out of all is the Sony 1A, then the M2 . I feel the bass is much looser and bleeds across in the Sony 1A more than the M2. The other thing is the build quality of the Sony is the worst of the bunch.

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #3,651 of 4,373
  .... The other thing is the build quality of the Sony is the worst of the bunch.

That is surprising, most people feel the build of the 1A to be a strong suit? I haven't seen the other headphones myself so perhaps this is the case. I do have a 1A and I find it very well made.

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #3,652 of 4,373
Sorry, they are very plasticky(is that a word)? I had some very bad creaking in my pair, let me say again, in my pair. Your opinion and likes and dislikes may vary from mine. I will add they are probably the least expensive of the bunch, so if plastic is OK, then fine. The creaking I had was really annoying and that is the only pair I have experience with.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #3,653 of 4,373
I am giving the MM400's more time.

I agree that the Sony have the cheapest feel/build quality.  Not to say they aren't well constructed, but the materials just aren't up to par with the others.

Subguy812; you say you owned the MM400.  What do you use currently?

I am enjoying doing this comparison testing.  I will say again, I feel that the M2, P7, MM400 and 1ABT are all very close.  The differences are subtle.  I am tempted to order a pair of PM-3's since they are getting so much praise lately.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,654 of 4,373
...  I am tempted to order a pair of PM-3's since they are getting so much praise lately.

I am also really considering these. I guess I need to consider how easy they are to drive as I prefer not to need to carry an amp in addition to my phone. I may spring for the X7, but damn with the Canadian dollar so low that becomes a really big investment for my commute to work player.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #3,655 of 4,373
  Sorry, they are very plasticky(is that a word)? I had some very bad creaking in my pair, let me say again, in my pair. Your opinion and likes and dislikes may vary from mine. I will add they are probably the least expensive of the bunch, so if plastic is OK, then fine. The creaking I had was really annoying and that is the only pair I have experience with.

Yes, they are plastic construction mostly, but they are still really well made given that. I find the ergonomics excellent, the comfort is superb and I haven't really found them overly creaky. That said, I use my KEFs exclusively now and those of course are a very nice build quality. I'm not the type who cares about the materials used, I'm more about the totality of the effect, in other words do they stand up to use, look good, and sound good. If so, plastic, metal, duct tape, doesn't really matter to me. I'm also the kind of person who if I spend $2000 on a headphone I couldn't care less what the box is like, in fact, I would rather they give me a Grado pizza box and spend more on the cable for instance.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #3,656 of 4,373
hello guys. I'm a new user here. I badly need take decision on what headphone I should buy.I have been using earbuds and first time I will be buying a headphone.Noise canceling doesn't much matter to me. All I want my headphone is to be amazing when listening to music and watching movies.

So I was searching and found ATH M50x in almost every forumSo this one must be amazing to ears but I also heard that soundstage is not that good. So do you think that I will be having fantastic cinematics experience? My budget is between $200 - $300. Please resolve my problem and suggest other headphones too.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #3,658 of 4,373
  You might want to consider these.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/philips-fidelio-x2

Awesome headphone, however this is a portable thread and those are not portable. I regretted the day I sold my X2.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #3,659 of 4,373

Yes, they are plastic construction mostly, but they are still really well made given that. I find the ergonomics excellent, the comfort is superb and I haven't really found them overly creaky. That said, I use my KEFs exclusively now and those of course are a very nice build quality. I'm not the type who cares about the materials used, I'm more about the totality of the effect, in other words do they stand up to use, look good, and sound good. If so, plastic, metal, duct tape, doesn't really matter to me. I'm also the kind of person who if I spend $2000 on a headphone I couldn't care less what the box is like, in fact, I would rather they give me a Grado pizza box and spend more on the cable for instance.

Hey man, I get what your saying. I am the same about materials, however it needs to be stated in case materials and build quality are a consideration for some. You enjoy the 1A but have found that you enjoy you KEF more. I hear you on that. I enjoyed the 1A but found that I enjoyed others, based on sq,build quality and bang for the buck, more than I did the 1A. Bang for the buck is relative to what one thinks encompasses that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back