Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Sep 1, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #3,631 of 4,373

Had that and the isolation been better, they would have definitely ranked higher. I really enjoyed the way they sounded!

I​ can get that, and I agree. I am lucky in that while they are certainly not a tight fit, they do seal well enough for me. I also like this a tad as I found my M80 and XS both had just enough clamp force that they could make my ears a little sore. All in all, a pretty impressive first headphone! At least I believe this was the first KEF headphone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #3,632 of 4,373
I have the Z7s here and love them. But I don't consider them "portable" and that's why I left them of the listing. Just sold my TH900s, but the Z7s are still here. 

Sorry for the late reply here. But yes. You are absolutely right. My MDR's I feel are just too good for the street. I use them at home now strictly and not for the street. Although they are fairly light, they really are not a 'street CAN' however, this guy is!!! Wow. Picked up these MO-FI's yesterday and given a decent DAC sing like no tomorrow. Quality sound for a street headphone. And I have been saying this a lot lately, this is the best build and design headphone I've ever traveled with. It's a bloody panzer tank!! Built to last! I love them. Amp is a cool feature but it won't cure that hard digital bite altogether that is found in digital sound signals and music codecs. You need a DAC to run with units amp or else your ears will bleed. I couldn't take a half hr of straight amp to player listening.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #3,633 of 4,373
Sorry for the late reply here. But yes. You are absolutely right. My MDR's I feel are just too good for the street. I use them at home now strictly and not for the street. Although they are fairly light, they really are not a 'street CAN' however, this guy is!!! Wow. Picked up these MO-FI's yesterday and given a decent DAC sing like no tomorrow. Quality sound for a street headphone. And I have been saying this a lot lately, this is the best build and design headphone I've ever traveled with. It's a bloody panzer tank!! Built to last! I love them. Amp is a cool feature but it won't cure that hard digital bite altogether that is found in digital sound signals and music codecs. You need a DAC to run with units amp or else your ears will bleed. I couldn't take a half hr of straight amp to player listening.

I'm glad you're enjoying them...I think they're great sounding headphones and you won't need to go buy a dedicated amplifier for them.  :wink:

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #3,634 of 4,373
I'm glad you're enjoying them...I think they're great sounding headphones and you won't need to go buy a dedicated amplifier for them.  :wink:

May I just say though, as happy as I am with these Mo-Fi's (oh god I can't put them down! :flushed:) you make a strong case for the B&O's H6's. Out of your list, I think these appeal to me the most. The Mo-Fi's offer up shear raw power and there is nothing neutral about them. They are just fun, laid back but with a decent soundstage that's full of bass. You get that awesome rumble while traveling around. They are fantastic, but the striving brutality neutral H6's would offer a nice contrast to my travel listening experiences. I am a man of the subway and all that, so portable rigs are very important to me as well.
Thank you so much again for this unbelievable thread. I've read the whole thing since I've joined head-fi.

☺️

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #3,635 of 4,373
May I just say though, as happy as I am with these Mo-Fi's (oh god I can't put them down! :flushed:) you make a strong case for the B&O's H6's. Out of your list, I think these appeal to me the most. The Mo-Fi's offer up shear raw power and there is nothing neutral about them. They are just fun, laid back but with a decent soundstage that's full of bass. You get that awesome rumble while traveling around. They are fantastic, but the striving brutality neutral H6's would offer a nice contrast to my travel listening experiences. I am a man of the subway and all that, so portable rigs are very important to me as well.
Thank you so much again for this unbelievable thread. I've read the whole thing since I've joined head-fi.

☺️

If you don't need to take a pair of headphones with you, the MoFi's are pretty special!

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3,636 of 4,373
If you don't need to take a pair of headphones with you, the MoFi's are pretty special!

Agreed. These are nowhere close to a mainstay or flagship quality headphone that would be a center piece of home use system; however for a 'street use headphone' the quality is bananas for an on the go experience. Nothing more. And once again I cannot stress how important a decent DAC is with the MO-FI's otherwise it's like trying to palate a fine wine while eating a chocolate chip cookie. Ya just don't do that! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #3,637 of 4,373

☺️

Indeed! A terrific job on a most useful subject.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #3,638 of 4,373
  yap, I would agree. M500 is a bit too loose on my head to be "portable". I even had some difficulty reading notes with it....tried the bending headphone trick but over time it still became a bit too loose.

ooh you tried the bending headband trick?

did you think it helped initially?

how long did you bend the headband? (did you leave it over night like that?)

i was looking very very intently at the m500s for a LONG LONG time, but once i heard its unstable on the head, and it didn't isolate much at all 

that really bummed me out, it sounded almost perfect (gorgeous design(usually not a fan of silver and black combo, but the m500s is an exception) , fluffy cushy earpads, solid aluminum build, a fairly balanced sound with a nice bass lift....) 

lets hope kef brings it home on their second try 

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,639 of 4,373
  ooh you tried the bending headband trick?

did you think it helped initially?

how long did you bend the headband? (did you leave it over night like that?)

i was looking very very intently at the m500s for a LONG LONG time, but once i heard its unstable on the head, and it didn't isolate much at all 

that really bummed me out, it sounded almost perfect (gorgeous design(usually not a fan of silver and black combo, but the m500s is an exception) , fluffy cushy earpads, solid aluminum build, a fairly balanced sound with a nice bass lift....) 

lets hope kef brings it home on their second try 

I find the isolation okay, and I take the bus to and from work, but yes if you listen quietly you may find the isolation less than ideal, but for mid to loud listening it should be fine. I'm not sure how isolated people should be. I mean, you need to hear some noise from the environment right? As for sound leakage, these seem pretty good even at loud volume. The M500 does sound very nice, perhaps my favourite portable so far.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #3,642 of 4,373
Hey, does anyone know if the MDR 1A sounds good?

The MDR 1Rs are listed quite low but I would like to know if there's a big difference between the two. I have also been looking
at the Momentum M2, t51i, VISO and the B&W P7.

I have the t51ps but I really hate the cable as it isn't detachable. The sound is good though.

Out of these five (1A, T51i, M2, HP50, P7) which do you think are the best ones in terms of SQ.

I listen to rock, pop and maybe a bit of hip hop. I'll mainly be using these at my desktop

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,643 of 4,373
Hey, does anyone know if the MDR 1A sound good?

The MDR 1R are listed quite low but I would like to know if there's a big difference between the two. I have also been looking
at the Momentum M2, t51i, VISO and the B&W P7.

I have the t51ps but I really hate the cable as it isn't detachable. But the sound is good.

Out of these four (1A, T51i, M2, HP50, P7) which do you think are the best ones in terms of SQ.

I listen to rock, pop and maybe a bit of hip hop. I'll mainly be using these at my desktop

Thanks!

You have some really good options here. Out of those the only one I haven't owned is the P7. Ranking the other ones... M2, T51i, HP5, 1a.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #3,644 of 4,373
I have owned or heard all of those headphones except the T 51. The MDR1A definitely belongs in the conversation. I don't think it stands head and shoulders above this group, but it belongs in there with the group. It is a good buy.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #3,645 of 4,373
Originally Posted by brisskyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Out of these four (1A, T51i, M2, HP50, P7) which do you think are the best ones in terms of SQ.

Thanks!

1A is significantly better than the 1R. Bass is deeper, the detachable cable socket is fixed, the delicious Sony house sound is preserved.

There is no easily discernible difference in SQ between any of these headphones. The biggest difference is the sound presentation each will give you.

If using mainly at desktop; 1A, HP50, and P7 are your best bets. The T51i and M2 have better portability and fashion but less on long term comfort, with a rigid headband on the M2 and the on-ear T51i design - ear size/shape variable long term comfort.

The P7 and 1A are the entertainment presentations where bass quantity and feeling is the star. They are much easier to move to coming from a cheap pair of closed headphones or any IEM. Although with quantity, bass speed takes a slight hit. More of the music you listen too will be coloured by the headphone, neither a good or bad thing, but it tries to make everything you put on enjoyable in some way.

The T51i, M2 and HP50 are the more balanced presentations. Bass is present but not nearly as visceral in feeling. The upside is the bass is faster and doesn't invade the sound where it shouldn't. The M2 has the biggest accentuated midrange, which isn't suitable for very loud listening. The HP50 is dark and laid back, but might smear a bit of the attack and dynamics as a drawback. The T51i without a full seal won't be able to envelope you in soundstage as much as the circumferential headphones can.

All depends on whether you like coloured or balanced headphones.
Fans of balanced headphones will say the 1A is too bassy and messy. Fans of coloured headphones will say headphones like the M2 and HP50 are too boring and unenjoyable.

Decide on which presentation you want first - that's the most helpful thing I can tell you. Good luck and happy shopping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back