Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jul 30, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #3,541 of 4,373
Yes the q25 have a thin, hollow sound and to me artificial sounding treble.

Yeah, if MYER made the change to there demo set up a lot earlier. I would have chosen to go for the 1As for sure. Listening to the demo music with a male voice over the music made it very hard for me to know if I liked it or not.

I'm holding out for the momentum wireless now. That's if I can getit for the price I mentioned earlier from MYER.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,542 of 4,373
Sounds like someone at Oppo Digital read my suggestion below.

So while they are listening: I think it would be great if they also sent me a PM1- and HA1 to try out.:D

I'm also a very experienced electronic audio engineer with a good track record of 5 star reviews. Maybe they would like some design assistance on the next range :p
Folks need to keep in mind the the PM-3 is being sold as a portable can, meaning you should be able to take them out and about. They are so bass light and boring when there is external noise. Technical ability doesnt matter if you dont enjoy the sound when using it for its intended use. I had better options for in house, perfect condition use.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3,543 of 4,373
Just grabbed a pair of Senn. Mom. on ear (1st series) for a ripper price brand new and was pleasantly surprised at how good they are.  they are much more comfortable than my senn. hd25 Alu and soundwise as good (if not better for my tastes).  What with the run out specials on these, worth grabbing a pair to see how good they really are.  I was very surprised at how small the earcups are!  That said, they come with a case, extra cable but do require a bit more juice than I thought possible for something with a low resistance (18ohm) and high sensitivity (112 dbspl).  cheers for the good writeups!

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #3,544 of 4,373
  Just grabbed a pair of Senn. Mom. on ear (1st series) for a ripper price brand new and was pleasantly surprised at how good they are.  they are much more comfortable than my senn. hd25 Alu and soundwise as good (if not better for my tastes).  What with the run out specials on these, worth grabbing a pair to see how good they really are.  I was very surprised at how small the earcups are!  That said, they come with a case, extra cable but do require a bit more juice than I thought possible for something with a low resistance (18ohm) and high sensitivity (112 dbspl).  cheers for the good writeups!

Thanks...they are very good headphones and very comfortable too. 

In other news, looks like the PM-3s will be here around mid-week. Looking forward to finally giving them a try!

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3,545 of 4,373
And they arrived today! Thanks again to the good folks at Oppo for this audition. I'm putting them through their paces tonight....very impressive. Very balanced and clean sounding headphones with no frequency range standing out more than it should. I'll proceed to burn them in and get to know them better and then update my thoughts on my first post on this thread. But so far, things are quite promising!

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #3,547 of 4,373
Just tried the Momentum Ver 2 on ear and I was not impressed at all. They leak sound like nobody's business. I listen to them on 20/30 on my Sony A17 and my wife could hear every word. On that same volume my wife can't hear a thing from my T51Ps.

The sound was also not up par compared to the Beyers. The sound signatures are similar but they didn't sound as open or as clear

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,548 of 4,373
Just tried the Momentum Ver 2 on ear and I was not impressed at all. They leak sound like nobody's business. I listen to them on 20/30 on my Sony A17 and my wife could hear every word. On that same volume my wife can't hear a thing from my T51Ps.

The sound was also not up par compared to the Beyers. The sound signatures are similar but they didn't sound as open or as clear

I really do keep the T51p's in very high regard, but I'd still take the Momentum 2 over-ears over them...to me they sounded bigger and a bit more coherent. YMMV of course.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #3,549 of 4,373

I really do keep the T51p's in very high regard, but I'd still take the Momentum 2 over-ears over them...to me they sounded bigger and a bit more coherent. YMMV of course.

I can get the T51P's for AU$295 and the Momentum 2.0s for AU$375. So There's an AU$80 difference

What holds more value in your opinion?

This purchase is going to be a birthday present from my family. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3,550 of 4,373
  I can get the T51P's for AU$295 and the Momentum 2.0s for AU$375. So There's an AU$80 difference

What holds more value in your opinion?

This purchase is going to be a birthday present from my family. 

I think with that pricing I'd go with the Momentum 2s...for me they are worth the extra $80s. But seriously, I don't think there is a wrong decision here as both are quite good. The T51ps leak less, but I prefer the sound of the M2 over-ears. I'd suggest hearing both and going with your ears.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #3,551 of 4,373

I think with that pricing I'd go with the Momentum 2s...for me they are worth the extra $80s. But seriously, I don't think there is a wrong decision here as both are quite good. The T51ps leak less, but I prefer the sound of the M2 over-ears. I'd suggest hearing both and going with your ears.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I had a listen to both a few days ago in Syndey and the T51P's impressed me more then the Momentum 2.0's overall but that was only based of my first impressions of listening to them both. The bass on the T51P's was a lot more satisfying to my ears. Strangely enough after 10 minutes or so of listening to the Momentum's I found that the ear pads started to dig into my head a bit. Let me know if you or anyone has had that feeling as well. 

Since my parents and my 2 brothers are happy to cover $300 for a pair of headphones for my birthday on the 25/08/15. I think I'll get the T51P's unless the Momentum's astonish me  enough to justify lashing out $80 out of my pockets when I listen to them again this coming Monday (Sunday for ya'll Americans)

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #3,552 of 4,373
  Thanks for your thoughts!

I had a listen to both a few days ago in Syndey and the T51P's impressed me more then the Momentum 2.0's overall but that was only based of my first impressions of listening to them both. The bass on the T51P's was a lot more satisfying to my ears. Strangely enough after 10 minutes or so of listening to the Momentum's I found that the ear pads started to dig into my head a bit. Let me know if you or anyone has had that feeling as well. 

Since my parents and my 2 brothers are happy to cover $300 for a pair of headphones for my birthday on the 25/08/15. I think I'll get the T51P's unless the Momentum's astonish me  enough to justify lashing out $80 out of my pockets when I listen to them again this coming Monday (Sunday for ya'll Americans)

Hey, I'm not American. 
wink.gif

I found both very comfortable, but if I had to go between both the M2 and T51ps for comfort, it would be a tough call (maybe the T51ps). Funny because I found the D1350s very UNcomfortable.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #3,554 of 4,373
  I found the DT1350 very uncomfortable too. 

It was particularly painful when I wore my glasses...torture on my ears. I was very skeptical of the T51p's, but amazingly enough beyer pulled a rabbit out of their hats on the comfort level within similarly designed headphones.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #3,555 of 4,373
I'm looking for a pair of neutral closed-back headphones for classical and jazz. They must be a good match for my Audio-gd SA-31SE for critical listening at home, but also perform well OTG (hotel room and aircraft, not walking around outdoors!) on the end of my HM-650 / Minibox card or HM-601LE with various portable amps, both solid-state and hybrid.

My current favourite open cans are the HD600 for classical, and the HE-500 for jazz.

So far, I have bought and tried various closed cans, with mixed results. None is fully satisfactory (except, perhaps, the DT-48E):

- Beyerdynamic DT48e (25 ohms) - my current go-to closed can. Excellent, transparent and detailed midrange. However, bass and extreme treble are rolled off, and there is little in the way of a soundstage. These are cans which sound like cans (albeit very good ones)! I will definitely be holding on to these, as they are classics!

- Beyerdynamic DT250-250 - good midrange, but excessive bass and rolled-off treble. Transients and dynamics sound blunted and soft. Pleasant and inoffensive, but unexciting. Plus, they only really give of their best on the end of an OTL valve amp (impractical for travelling).

- Audio Technica ATH-A900X (A1000 pads) - brilliant soundstage and dynamics, powerful, controlled bass, but veiled midrange. Transparency and detail are lacking.

- Fischer Audio FA-002w (5-step beechwood cups) - the best sounding, but they have a "cuppy" midrange colouration and are bulky and fragile. Isolation is practically non-existent.

- Beyerdynamic T51p - the best pure portable cans, but bass is somewhat wayward and dominant, and difficult to get under control. This dominates the listening experience, and spoils it.

- Sennheiser HD25 II - detailed and dynamic, but also closed-in and boxy-sounding. Not particularly enjoyable.

The best closed cans I have heard so far (although they were WAY over budget), have been the Fostex TH900 (heard at a show here in Shanghai). Even then, they didn't isolate particularly well.

So far, I am considering:

- Focal Spirit One Professional (the current favourite)

- Focal Spirit One Classic

- Beyerdynamic DT150

- B&O Beoplay H6

I know I should really like the DT1350, but I have heard them on two occasions out of my portable rig, and found them to have an unpleasant, tinny midrange colouration. Midrange detail and accuracy is all-important.

Street price should be below GBP 200 (which applies to all of the above). Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back