Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,271 of 4,373
  You guys are making me wish I had the M2. I was tempted when Buysonic had them for $249. Should have jumped on it! 

They still do...

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #3,273 of 4,373

They still do...

I have to wait until April 30th to buy them. I have the money, I just don't have it now. Good lord I hope there still available then, if I miss out on this I'll be devastated. I'm so desperate here that I even sent MacedonianHero a message asking him if you could buy them for me now and just hang onto them until April 30th, then I'll send him the money for the headphones and shipping via Paypal. Then he can send me them after I send him the money. He hasn't replied yet. I just don't know what else to do, I already tried using Paypal's order now bill me later option but for some reason I just get the error "Looks like we're unable to authorize your purchase using Bill Me Later." I'm at a complete and utter loss. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,274 of 4,373
  Sweet. I couldn't find them... Maybe I'll spring for it. 

How did the isolation compare between the M2 and PM3? 

I would say they are on par with each other...I think the PM-3 are really comfortable but the earpads on the M2 are better. I couldn't complain about the isolation of either. I am sorry I had no way of testing sound leakage.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #3,275 of 4,373

They are a bass light. They required,for my tastes, a bit of amping. I had them and was in the return window and another member on Headfi wanted black as they were backordered, so I sold them as opposed to returning them. They are built well, classy, comfortable. They were very good sounding. It is important to remember they are a portable can. They were so bass light, and I am not a basshead, that when I would walk outdoors with them the bass was not strong enough with exterior noise to have a bass impact. I don't wear glasses and don't have long hair to decrease my seal. I found a couple of tracks that were sibilant with them. The treble is slightly rolled off but still they had a trebly edge to the overall sound profile.  Are the M2's better? Not better, just different. Sitting at home and listening to music I really enjoyed the PM-3. And they weren't bad for outdoors, but the M2's are better to me for outdoorsy stuff. I just don't need another hp to listen to indoors, I enjoy the X2 for that. The PM-3 soundstage is small(congested) but the instrument separation and imaging negate much of that sensation. If my needs changed I would purchase them again, but I am sure by that time the next "fad" hp will be available.

Interesting. Thanks for this 
bigsmile_face.gif
 If the PM3s don't do well outdoors, I'd imagine planes are out of the picture, which means no go for me. I'll have to check out the M2s.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #3,276 of 4,373

Interesting. Thanks for this 
bigsmile_face.gif
 If the PM3s don't do well outdoors, I'd imagine planes are out of the picture, which means no go for me. I'll have to check out the M2s.

Planes are a constant roar...I can't say about that. I just know that when I was outdoors the bass was not substantial enough for me.

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3,278 of 4,373
I now have M2 and X2 hand in hand.

So far the main difference between the two is you can tell straight away that the X2 has scooped out mids and brighter treble. The X2 is a lot more transparent though it has been burned in for 50 hours verses the M2 is fresh out of the box, its just muddy sounding atm.

Bass is only slightly better on the M2, but it's overall still a very neutral albeit dark sounding HP, still have to boost 34hz +6db.

It will be interesting to see how the M2 develops over the next few days.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #3,279 of 4,373
  I now have M2 and X2 hand in hand.

So far the main difference between the two is you can tell straight away that the X2 has scooped out mids and brighter treble. The X2 is a lot more transparent though it has been burned in for 50 hours verses the M2 is fresh out of the box, its just muddy sounding atm.

Bass is only slightly better on the M2, but it's overall still a very neutral albeit dark sounding HP, still have to boost 34hz +6db.

It will be interesting to see how the M2 develops over the next few days.

Curious to hear your thoughts after more listening. It isn't a fair comparative. One is open and the other is closed. I have both as well and the M2 fits my portability needs quite well.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #3,280 of 4,373
Been listening for a day now, its remarkable how similar these headphones are in sound signature. But being completely impartial; I am finding I have more negatives to write about the M2 than the X2.

Firstly the M2s headband, it's immediately uncomfortable to put on and position due to its rigidity. Once you have it in the right position though (forward) its satisfactory. Would it have killed Sennheiser to put a little thicker padding on it though? The suspension headband of the X2 just walks away with the comfort prize here.
Second, the cable on the M2 is just too short for desktop use, it's perfect for mobile though.
Third, the more serious issue I have is the 3 channel mini jack does not make good connection with any of my adapters, which means I have to have to plug in, and pull out slightly, to bring the sound back.
Fourth, the detachable cable simply isn't detachable by human fingers lol, it's lock mechanism is finicky and I'm going to end up breaking it if I pull it anymore.

The ear cups are a mixed bag. I literally have all 3 examples of material actually; The velour pads on the X2, the leather on the M2, and the pleather on the HD202.

I prefer leather, but the rigidity of the velour cups on the X2 stops them sinking to much. Still, both end up just touching the outside of my ears after 1 - 2 hours and start to become slightly uncomfortable. The Velour doesn't agree with my skin and gives me an itch, but the leather makes my ears much hotter after use. Neither is better, just different.

My modified thicker pad on the HD202 are just as comfortable as the M2 but it has a much more comfortable headband. If I had to order them; X2 / HD202 > M2 Important to mention here, weight plays a big deal in comfort too, for which the M2 and HD202 are much better.

So the sound;

As I said before, really hard pressed to separate the X2 and M2. They are both acceptable, but what is disappointing me about the M2 is there isn't a drastically better frequency extension or bass punch than the X2, it's only slight. Whereas the extra air between instruments on the X2 is worth writing home about. Up loud, the M2 is less harsh on the treble than the X2 becomes. The M2's mid range becomes fatiguing instead. The thing that's bothering me the most about all this though is that neither the X2 or the M2 as much fun as the HD202 is. While they are superior in every quality and technical fidelity. I just which I could turn them up a bit more and not be in pain. Basically, I think I need an amp, but also I need to deal with the fact I might be a bass-head, as much as I don't want to admit it.

Worth noting also (for reasons that different head sizes affect sound impressions of headphones) if I apply a little more pressure to the sides of the M2 while I'm wearing them, the bass level / isolation increases, but the stereo airyness also becomes muddier. The sideways pressure applied by the M2 is just right, by default. If I do the same to the X2, the change in bass is a lot less apparent, so the M2 is much more fit dependent even though the ear cups force you to wear them in one way only.

As I write this I'm eyeing the HP50 (which I now think; isn't going to be the radical change I want) the
Denon AH-D600,​
and the V-MODA M100 as a next move. I'm thinking of sending the M2 back, and selling my new unopened X2 (on these forums) once I find my perfect headphone.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #3,281 of 4,373
  Been listening for a day now, its remarkable how similar these headphones are in sound signature. But being completely impartial; I am finding I have more negatives to write about the M2 than the X2.

Firstly the M2s headband, it's immediately uncomfortable to put on and position due to its rigidity. Once you have it in the right position though (forward) its satisfactory. Would it have killed Sennheiser to put a little thicker padding on it though? The suspension headband of the X2 just walks away with the comfort prize here.
Second, the cable on the M2 is just too short for desktop use, it's perfect for mobile though.
Third, the more serious issue I have is the 3 channel mini jack does not make good connection with any of my adapters, which means I have to have to plug in, and pull out slightly, to bring the sound back.
Fourth, the detachable cable simply isn't detachable by human fingers lol, it's lock mechanism is finicky and I'm going to end up breaking it if I pull it anymore.

The ear cups are a mixed bag. I literally have all 3 examples of material actually; The velour pads on the X2, the leather on the M2, and the pleather on the HD202.

I prefer leather, but the rigidity of the X2 cups stops them being too compressed. Still, both end up just touching the outside of my ears after 1 - 2 hours and start to become slightly uncomfortable. The Velour doesn't agree with my skin, but the leather becomes hotter. Neither is better, just different. My modified thicker pad on the HD202 are just as comfortable as the M2 but it also has a better headband. Ff I had to order them; X2 / HD202 > M2 Important to mention here, weight plays a big deal in comfort too.

So the sound;

As I said before, really hard pressed to separate the X2 and M2. They are both acceptable, but what is disappointing me about the M2 is there isn't a drastically better frequency extension or bass punch than the X2, it's only slight. Whereas the extra air between instruments on the X2 is worth writing home about. Up load, the M2 is less harsh on the treble than the X2 becomes. The M2's mid range becomes fatiguiging instead. The thing that's bothering me the most about all this though is that neither the X2 or the M2 as much fun as the HD202 is. While they are superior in every quality and technical fidelity. I just which I could turn them up a bit more and not be in pain. Basically, I think I need an amp, but also I need to deal with the fact I might be a bass-head, as much as I don't want to admit it.

As I write this I'm eyeing the HP50 (which I now think; isn't going to be the radical change I want) the
Denon AH-D600,​
and the V-MODA M100 as a next move. I'm thinking of sending the M2 back, and selling my new unopened X2 (on these forums) once I find my perfect headphone.

Edit: comments deleted.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #3,283 of 4,373
  I'm sorry bud, but you sure are pushing the M2's down our throats huh? You literally dissected HIS impressions. I get you like the M2's, but it may not be everyones cup of tea. 

No dude not at all...that wasn't my intention. I apologize if it is taken that way I will delete it. One can post impressions as another cannot without being called a fan boy.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #3,284 of 4,373
  I'm sorry bud, but you sure are pushing the M2's down our throats huh? You literally dissected HIS impressions. I get you like the M2's, but it may not be everyones cup of tea. 

I didn't feel that way. He simply had things to say in contrast to what he stated. Dissected his impression? That's a slippery slope man, you could apply that logic to a lot of posts on here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back