Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 12, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #3,182 of 4,373
  Any recommendations for a Bright or V-shaped pair of headphones for $300(usd)max? I listen to rock and metal music.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro is great for those genres.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3,183 of 4,373

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro is great for those genres.

You were in the portable thread, were you looking for a portable recommendation sinkie? Sorry I quoted the wrong post....

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #3,185 of 4,373
I have really been fighting with posting my thoughts on the PM-3. I enjoy the sound but mostly find myself going back to the M2. It is more fun and better to me to enjoy the music. Then other times, the Dire Straits or Steely Dan test, awesome and I would hate to part with them. The build quality of the OPPO is superb. Accessories not much...a denim case. The hp's lay flat in it. I think these need a little assistance from an amp and then they are very punchy and fast. For the most part, it is overall punchy and fast. I caught a bit of sibilance in a couple of files, maybe an anomaly. I think the bass is a bit light and I have a good seal. Others think it is awesome with great bass extension.  I was expecting more from the bass. The details are pretty clear, soundstage is narrow but the separation of instruments is great and imaging is good.

The PM-3 make it very hard to part with them. They can be one of the sweetest sounds and at other times not very exciting. They, for some reason, do not pair well with my X5 unless I use the E11 with them. I have a PONO arriving tomorrow and will try them with it. Compared to the Fidelio X2 it really isn't an apples to apples comparison. One being open the other closed. Not to be like Capt. Obvious but if I had both I would use my X2 at home, and the PM-3 on the go, not a revelation. I usually listen to Feral(Radiohead flac) to check the imaging and when amped with the E11 it is very nice.

My thoughts are all across the board here...for me it is a flip of the coin experience.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #3,186 of 4,373
  I have really been fighting with posting my thoughts on the PM-3. I enjoy the sound but mostly find myself going back to the M2. It is more fun and better to me to enjoy the music. Then other times, the Dire Straits or Steely Dan test, awesome and I would hate to part with them. The build quality of the OPPO is superb. Accessories not much...a denim case. The hp's lay flat in it. I think these need a little assistance from an amp and then they are very punchy and fast. For the most part, it is overall punchy and fast. I caught a bit of sibilance in a couple of files, maybe an anomaly. I think the bass is a bit light and I have a good seal. Others think it is awesome with great bass extension.  I was expecting more from the bass. The details are pretty clear, soundstage is narrow but the separation of instruments is great and imaging is good.

The PM-3 make it very hard to part with them. They can be one of the sweetest sounds and at other times not very exciting. They, for some reason, do not pair well with my X5 unless I use the E11 with them. I have a PONO arriving tomorrow and will try them with it. Compared to the Fidelio X2 it really isn't an apples to apples comparison. One being open the other closed. Not to be like Capt. Obvious but if I had both I would use my X2 at home, and the PM-3 on the go, not a revelation. I usually listen to Feral(Radiohead flac) to check the imaging and when amped with the E11 it is very nice.

My thoughts are all across the board here...for me it is a flip of the coin experience.

Cool...thanks for your impressions!

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #3,187 of 4,373

So keeping both M2 and PM-3?

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #3,188 of 4,373
  So keeping both M2 and PM-3?

Financially, I don't need to get rid of either. If I could keep only one closed portable which one would it be? I am leaning towards I would keep the M2.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #3,189 of 4,373

Financially, I don't need to get rid of either. If I could keep only one closed portable which one would it be? I am leaning towards I would keep the M2.

I have both (for now) and, after the 1st week, was ready to return the Oppos for being too tight on my head; even had the PM-3 boxed up with rma and ship label.

But, for some reason, I kept unpacking them (like 3x) to get one last listen. They sounded so different from the M2. I was hearing much more separation and such smoothness. I didn't even care about the clamping anymore.

Long story short, I cancelled the PM-3 return (Oppo cust serv is great) and am now on my 2nd pair of M2s which are about to be returned (bluetooth issues and some irregular cosmetic issues; the oppos are better built imo).

I can't afford both but, if not for the M2's few faults, I'd gladly try to keep both. If I had to choose it'd be the PM-3 all the way. Give them some more time. I assure you, you'll miss the PM-3 more.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #3,190 of 4,373
I have both (for now) and, after the 1st week, was ready to return the Oppos for being too tight on my head; even had the PM-3 boxed up with rma and ship label.

But, for some reason, I kept unpacking them (like 3x) to get one last listen. They sounded so different from the M2. I was hearing much more separation and such smoothness. I didn't even care about the clamping anymore.

Long story short, I cancelled the PM-3 return (Oppo cust serv is great) and am now on my 2nd pair of M2s which are about to be returned (bluetooth issues and some irregular cosmetic issues; the oppos are better built imo).

I can't afford both but, if not for the M2's few faults, I'd gladly try to keep both. If I had to choose it'd be the PM-3 all the way. Give them some more time. I assure you, you'll miss the PM-3 more.

I am good with that... I am inclined to think that the PM-3 is technically a better hp, but at this point my go to is the M2. That may change tomorrow.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #3,191 of 4,373
How is the x5 comparing to the pono, specifically with the pm-3?

thanks

jhv

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #3,192 of 4,373

Guess I'll wait for FAD Hope VIII/X and other upcoming headphones then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back