Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 14, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,896 of 4,373
I dont have enough time yet to give any firm findings, but the soundstage is improved, I feel the the treble extension adds to that.

I think the new earpads are really helping...they move the drivers further away from my ears and things tend to open up with that happens.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,897 of 4,373
I think the new earpads are really helping...they move the drivers further away from my ears and things tend to open up with that happens.
That could be part of it too. To this point there is improvement in 2.0

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #2,898 of 4,373
That could be part of it too. To this point there is improvement in 2.0

beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #2,899 of 4,373

I just received them....time to listen

Edit: Is that treble I hear? And a little sub bass when it counts?

wow damm those hinges look great! can you take a picture of the hinge when folded?

does it feel as solid as it looks? 

@MacedonianHero is the hinge as a good as the xs? (loved those in almost every way, but picked the amps over them in the end) 

the isolate better, to my ears i like how they sound >xs

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #2,900 of 4,373

wow damm those hinges look great! can you take a picture of the hinge when folded?

does it feel as solid as it looks? 

@MacedonianHero is the hinge as a good as the xs? (loved those in almost every way, but picked the amps over them in the end) 

the isolate better, to my ears i like how they sound >xs

Here is the hinge...

The hinge is very sturdy...to answer your question regarding the XS hinge compared to this one the XS is solid and industrial as hell. This hinge is well made and appears very sturdy as well. To me one looks engineered and the other looks industrial.  I really enjoyed the sq of the XS but the isolation was poor.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #2,901 of 4,373
Some Day 2 thoughts of the M2... I toyed with getting the wireless version, but the cost is prohibitive, not to say the wired version is inexpensive but for 150.00 more I decided to deal with a cable(for now).

Well built, comfortable and sound improvement over the original Momentum. I am really liking what I am hearing, deep (not loose bass), not neutered treble and creamy mids as well as a soundstage improvement. I need more time to listen but as I grow more accustomed to the sound on Day 2 it is a great experience with all genres I have thrown at it. I never felt the original Momentum had great detail but I was hearing great detail when listening to Steely Dan this morning. That's all for now.  If anyone has any questions or would like some different photos please let me know. Also I am not sure that it comes through in the photos but these are the black version but the color of the cups is actually a gunmetal...me rikey.
wink_face.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #2,902 of 4,373

Here is the hinge...

The hinge is very sturdy...to answer your question regarding the XS hinge compared to this one the XS is solid and industrial as hell. This hinge is well made and appears very sturdy as well. To me one looks engineered and the other looks industrial.  I really enjoyed the sq of the XS but the isolation was poor.

thank you for the pictures! that hinge looks actually beefier than the xs.  but not as unique as the xs!

yes, i would have to agree. its a good walking around headphone but for its intended audience, i think its going to be used in applications that need more isolation than that....

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,903 of 4,373
Just to be clear, these are the over-ear M2s rather than the on-ear, correct?

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #2,904 of 4,373
Feb 17, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,906 of 4,373
An unusual question:

I play poker for a living, often in very noisy poker rooms. The question is this: does the aggregate noise of voices and microphone announcements combine to create a "somewhat" singular frequency that can be eliminated with NC headphones like the Bose 25?

More info:  I will upgrade to a phone with a better DAC in a couple of months, but I now listen with TIDAL from the SD card in my the Galaxy S4.  I prefer accuracy to big bass and I'm sensitive to over-bright highs;  as I love voice and vocal harmonies, a somewhat bigger midrange is ok with me.

I own the Bose 15 and I find the sound disappointing and I'm leaning toward Momentum 2.0 since with TIDAL, sound quality is more important, but poker room noise must be at least significantly reduced.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Paul

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #2,907 of 4,373
An unusual question:

I play poker for a living, often in very noisy poker rooms. The question is this: does the aggregate noise of voices and microphone announcements combine to create a "somewhat" singular frequency that can be eliminated with NC headphones like the Bose 25?

More info:  I will upgrade to a phone with a better DAC in a couple of months, but I now listen with TIDAL from the SD card in my the Galaxy S4.  I prefer accuracy to big bass and I'm sensitive to over-bright highs;  as I love voice and vocal harmonies, a somewhat bigger midrange is ok with me.

I own the Bose 15 and I find the sound disappointing and I'm leaning toward Momentum 2.0 since with TIDAL, sound quality is more important, but poker room noise must be at least significantly reduced.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Paul

Hi Paul,
I subscribe to Tidal and use the 2.0 from my Moto X. Today I was noticing how impressed I am with the sound quality and the fact that my Moto X can drive them. I prefer to drive them with my X5 and E11 but I am pleased each time I hear Tidal through my cell using the M2. With my brief time with the QC25 I noticed that voices and out of sort noises, ie. dog barks can still get through. MH is a much better expert on the QC25 maybe he will chime in.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2,908 of 4,373
thanks.  Maybe I'll drop into Best Buy/Magnolia and see if I can try them on.  Still curious about the summing of crowd noises that might result in a single frequency that can be filtered by a good NC headphone like Bose25.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #2,909 of 4,373

How is the sound leakage on the on-ear?

Leakage is pretty good. Not too bad. It passed "the wife test". However, the over-ears do a better job of both isolation and leakage.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #2,910 of 4,373
Just a heads up...in case anyone is interested, I've just updated my original posting to now include the new Sennheiser Momentum 2 Over-Ears (wired version):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-23-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Colour me impressed! Great job Sennheiser!!! One of my favourite headphone manufacturers...I've owned my HD800s for 5 years now and they are still among the very best headphones I've heard and I'm very happy to see (and hear) that Sennheiser is still on their game!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back