Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Sep 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,551 of 4,373
  WOW it is amazing how the opinions of these differ. I had them returned them and had them again because I thought I wasn't being fair and returned them again. I will however say they are the best Beats I have heard, not sure what that means.

Not that a headphone being very genre specific is a good trait, but perhaps what styles of music you both listen to are different enough that for one it was good, for the other bad? I'm thinking how on say the Grado house sound (sharp pronounced highs, forward mids, less bass extension) somebody who liked electronica may find the signature unpleasant, but somebody who listens to soft or vocal jazz that is well mastered may like the signature.

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,553 of 4,373

Not that a headphone being very genre specific is a good trait, but perhaps what styles of music you both listen to are different enough that for one it was good, for the other bad? I'm thinking how on say the Grado house sound (sharp pronounced highs, forward mids, less bass extension) somebody who liked electronica may find the signature unpleasant, but somebody who listens to soft or vocal jazz that is well mastered may like the signature.

I actually find them to go well with many types of music. Sounding great with Patricia Barber's "Moon" for example. They're pretty dark and very full sounding, so if you like your headphones HD800-style this will not do. But I tend to like richer, laid-back sounding cans. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #2,554 of 4,373
It is funny you said that, while waiting for my Blue Mofi I walked into Guitar Center and they had one of the ATH M50x limited edition sexy blue and camel on the shelf and I couldn't resist. These have been old faithfuls for many and now I remember why I liked them before as well. As far as being portable, borderline.

I'm very curious to hear the Blue Mo-Fi's. The ATH M50X look amazing in blue/ brown, but agreed...they are borderline portable (like the Mo-Fi's too I suppose).

I have a pair of Solo 2s on loan and.. gotta say, they are pretty good. Kind of a meatier, darker sound but surprisingly coherent and clear throughout. Midrange is great. 

I like them, but not enough to purchase. A bit too "meaty" and the on-ear clamp isn't very comfortable with my glasses on.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,555 of 4,373

I'm very curious to hear the Blue Mo-Fi's. The ATH M50X look amazing in blue/ brown, but agreed...they are borderline portable (like the Mo-Fi's too I suppose).

I like them, but not enough to purchase. A bit too "meaty" and the on-ear clamp isn't very comfortable with my glasses on.

Yes...meaty is kind. Ear clamp sucked

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #2,557 of 4,373
I have had the Blue Mofi's for about 1.5 hours...and for sure it doesn't fit in this thread for portability.

They are that big? I still want to hear them though...but alas, I think you're right on their lack of portability.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,558 of 4,373
They are that big? I still want to hear them though...but alas, I think you're right on their lack of portability.

They are big...I like the design, I can tell you based on comments from folks about not wearing the NAD's in public, most would feel the same about these. I wore them this evening when walking the dog, but if any comments were made I couldnt hear it because they seal so well. They are built and engineered well. Eventhough they weigh like 16oz. the weight distribution is great, the most configurable hp I have seen to conform to all head sizes, no comfort issues here. I like the old school retro look.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,559 of 4,373
They are big...I like the design, I can tell you based on comments from folks about not wearing the NAD's in public, most would feel the same about these. I wore them this evening when walking the dog, but if any comments were made I couldnt hear it because they seal so well. They are built and engineered well. Eventhough they weigh like 16oz. the weight distribution is great, the most configurable hp I have seen to conform to all head sizes, no comfort issues here. I like the old school retro look.

Cool. How do they sound?

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,560 of 4,373
Cool. How do they sound?

There are 3 modes passive,active,active+(off,on,on+). I am using a FiioX5 as source. The volume is controlled by the source not the hp. In passive they have an even sound and nice soundstage. Word of warning, do not bump volume in passive mode and forget to lower it as you turn the switch to active mode, you will only do this once. The sound is really good. The amp does not color the sound, but it appears to narrow soundstage a bit, I need more time. I haven't found much use for the + mode, but if there is a song that appears to be thin it finds sub bass in the recording and makes it audible. These are clear, detailed, never boomy, never sibilant, just right on. No issues with sound quality, enjoying it more each time I put them on today. Interesting there is no dsp it is entirely analog. I am listening to Nirvana Nevermind lossless as I type this and am in awe of the sound. I have played rock, metal, jazz, vocal jazz, blues and they excel at all genres, not better at one than other.
One thing that I thought was cool was when you remove the Mofi's they shut off automatically to conserve battery. They all come charged from shipping.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #2,561 of 4,373
There are 3 modes passive,active,active+(off,on,on+). I am using a FiioX5 as source. The volume is controlled by the source not the hp. In passive they have an even sound and nice soundstage. Word of warning, do not bump volume in passive mode and forget to lower it as you turn the switch to active mode, you will only do this once. The sound is really good. The amp does not color the sound, but it appears to narrow soundstage a bit, I need more time. I haven't found much use for the + mode, but if there is a song that appears to be thin it finds sub bass in the recording and makes it audible. These are clear, detailed, never boomy, never sibilant, just right on. No issues with sound quality, enjoying it more each time I put them on today. Interesting there is no dsp it is entirely analog. I am listening to Nirvana Nevermind lossless as I type this and am in awe of the sound. I have played rock, metal, jazz, vocal jazz, blues and they excel at all genres, not better at one than other.
One thing that I thought was cool was when you remove the Mofi's they shut off automatically to conserve battery. They all come charged from shipping.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,562 of 4,373
  Thanks for your thoughts!

You are welcome...I will post some more detailed thoughts later. Portability bottom of you list...SQ may just be near the top.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,563 of 4,373
  You are welcome...I will post some more detailed thoughts later. Portability bottom of you list...SQ may just be near the top.

beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,564 of 4,373
Peter,

Do you think the Beoplay H6 is small enough to be carried around in a small bag/pouch for daily commute? And is it sturdy enough to be packed with other things (like a laptop/tablet) in a small bag without being damaged? Thanks.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,565 of 4,373
  Peter,

Do you think the Beoplay H6 is small enough to be carried around in a small bag/pouch for daily commute? And is it sturdy enough to be packed with other things (like a laptop/tablet) in a small bag without being damaged? Thanks.

I think its ok...not the greatest. My big issue is the simple fabric bag that comes with it. Hardly protective IMO. I did buy a third party storage case that worked reasonably well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back