Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,966 of 4,373
Z
I would disagree about the bass of the K545 they are not a bass lovers bass but they are no where near bass shy. They are less bass oriented than the Momentum and slightly more bass oriented than the HP50.

I agree with ur findings the k545 is definitely not bass shy! Less than the momentums, more treble extension i find

The mids id say its a toss up, the momentums have a more neutral mids, while the k545 has what seems a bit more forward midrange

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,967 of 4,373
Thing is, I'm not looking for a bassy headphone - I tried the M-100's and really hated their V-shaped sound signature.

The main thing I want from the sound of whatever I buy is an improvement on my M50's.
  • More Balance. (More forward mids)
  • More Clarity & Soundstage.
  • Slightly better bass depth/impact.

Surely one of the headphones mentioned here fits that while still being sturdy, portable, and not looking bad? (The lower the price the better)
  1. AKG K845BT ($298)
  2. NAD VISO HP50 ($299)
  • $100 Price Gap
  1. B&W P7 ($399)
  2. B&O H6 ($439 - Really?) 

Id say with the m100s u went to the extreme in terms of v shape. I own the m100s and i really like them and all but for ur preferances i think u would benefit greatly from a slight warm neutral can like the k545. I really liked them when i was listening to them, was seriously thinking about getting them

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,968 of 4,373
Crap, just realized your a fellow Canuck, so the sale won't work unless you use a forwarding service or have a friend in the US.

No problem, I don't have the money transfered to my paypal account yet anyway, so I likely wouldn't have made it in time.

Id say with the m100s u went to the extreme in terms of v shape. I own the m100s and i really like them and all but for ur preferances i think u would benefit greatly from a slight warm neutral can like the k545. I really liked them when i was listening to them, was seriously thinking about getting them

Yeah, at the time I was just thinking that I wanted something stylish, clear, and with deep bass/punch. I didn't realize how much the midrange and treble impacted my listening preferences until I listened to the M-100's, where they were pushed so far back.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,969 of 4,373
  Yeah, at the time I was just thinking that I wanted something stylish, clear, and with deep bass/punch. I didn't realize how much the midrange and treble impacted my listening preferences until I listened to the M-100's, where they were pushed so far back.

That pretty much sums up my experience with the M-100's.  I prefer the sound signature of the V-Moda XS.  The XS has deep bass/punch, just not so much of it that it overpowers the midrange.  My only minor gripe with the XS is the treble is slightly soft.  

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #1,970 of 4,373
Do you have any experience with the other headphones in this thread which you could possibly compare the XS to? I like the style of V-MODA headphones, but the sound and clamping force of the M-100's just wasn't for me.

It still really pisses me off - apologies for language - that the H6 is so expensive. It's no where near as fancy as the P7, and has less mainstream recognition, but goes for almost $450 - ridiculous.

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #1,971 of 4,373
It still really pisses me off - apologies for language - that the H6 is so expensive. It's no where near as fancy as the P7, and has less mainstream recognition, but goes for almost $450 - ridiculous.

That, there are, actually, a lot of headphones that are underrated or overrated :) 

Note that, I am not at all defending Bang & Olufsen, indeed they are slightly more expensive compared to other brands but I like their finishing, design with the combination of good sound quality xD Then again, there are a lot of headphones that are overrated and underrated here. One of the example for overrated headphone would be ATH-M50 [to certain extend] and underrated would be Ultimate Ears UE4000 and Noontec Zoro HD~  IMO

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,972 of 4,373
Well, it's just that the H6 is smaller, thinner, more plain than something like the P7, but still sells for more - it doesn't quite make sense in my opinion. It just doesn't feel as high quality in the hand as the P7.

I'm hoping that either today or tomorrow I can go to the Headphone Bar in Vancouver to listen to some of these headphones and maybe even make a purchase. They have the NAD VISO HP50, the AKG K545 and K845, the KEF M500, V-MODA XS, and the Sennheiser Momentum. So I can test those out and maybe even decide on something.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,973 of 4,373
Please do not neglect the Focal Spirit Professional. In my view this is the best in its price range and competes well with phones at three times the price. 
It has an unusual organic realism based on its even frequency range and exceptional transients. 
Roger

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,974 of 4,373
  Please do not neglect the Focal Spirit Professional. In my view this is the best in its price range and competes well with phones at three times the price. 
It has an unusual organic realism based on its even frequency range and exceptional transients. 
Roger

A few top quality headphones that are missed out:

1) Focal Spirit Classic
2) Focal Spirit Professional
3) V-Moda XS / M100
4) Thinksound ON1
5) Sennheiser HD26 / 25 Aluminum
6) Sony MDR-7520

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,975 of 4,373
In my opinion the Focal Pro is better than the Classic (see Tyll Hertsen for a good comparison of the Classic and Pro).I would prefer it to all in your list but haven't heard Thinksound. It's the organic 'analogue' sound I love.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,978 of 4,373
  That, there are, actually, a lot of headphones that are underrated or overrated :) 

Note that, I am not at all defending Bang & Olufsen, indeed they are slightly more expensive compared to other brands but I like their finishing, design with the combination of good sound quality xD Then again, there are a lot of headphones that are overrated and underrated here. One of the example for overrated headphone would be ATH-M50 [to certain extend] and underrated would be Ultimate Ears UE4000 and Noontec Zoro HD~  IMO

Disagree, disagree.  I hear no one hyping up the M50 anymore, and the Zoro is just... not.  It's definitely overlooked but underrated? I think not.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,979 of 4,373
Disagree, disagree.  I hear no one hyping up the M50 anymore, and the Zoro is just... not.  It's definitely overlooked but underrated? I think not.

You'd surprised the greater population (outside of head fi) continues to recommend it on a daily basis. On many of the "well known review websites cnet, trusted reviewers, and all over on youtube. I always hear ppl asking for the m50s in a local headphone shop, its well regarded on those "website"

I actually agree on the Zoros HD having owned the non hd version and felt its sq to punch above its weight, its styling and build is a different story

Have u tried the zoros yourself? Is that y u disagree? Or is the style off putting blantantly copying beats, which is a normal reaction i find

Users who are viewing this thread

Back