Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Dec 11, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #1,126 of 4,373
I appreciate every bit of treble I can hear and agree its good that headphones go higher. I just laugh because 20, 000 is beyond most humans and some headphone go go up into the 30+k range
smily_headphones1.gif

30 khz? Please.... my Sony 7520 goes all the way to 80 khz. Who's the boss now? 
atsmile.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,129 of 4,373
Interesting, cymbals do go up to 16K, I know I love the shimmer of cymbals so maybe my hearing is better than I think or I just don't know the extra bit I'm missing :).

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,130 of 4,373

Where do you guys get a testing track for frequency response? Is there one that makes its way around headfi...?

If you find one, let me know. These links offer a few samples which I have found helpful:
http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn/percussion-frequencies-part-1-drums/
http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn/percussion-frequencies-part-2-cymbals/

Plus the other links from that "easyeartraining.com" site.

Interesting, cymbals do go up to 16K, I know I love the shimmer of cymbals so maybe my hearing is better than I think or I just don't know the extra bit I'm missing
smily_headphones1.gif

This one provides more good info (plus audio samples) of cymbals:

http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn/percussion-frequencies-part-2-cymbals/

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,131 of 4,373
Here is a pretty cool one on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

A test for high frequencies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5l4Rt4Ol7M

I hit pause around 16k.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,132 of 4,373
  Here is a pretty cool one on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

A test for high frequencies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5l4Rt4Ol7M

I hit pause around 16k.

Those are great, thanks. I was at around 13.5k with the M500's, so at least I'm not deaf yet :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,133 of 4,373
RANT ALERT!

Reviving an old issue:  Golden Ear's assessment of the KEF M500.  I can actually understand it.  If the KEF gets too good of a seal, or if the clamp is too taut (which is what it should be imo, since they are portable headphones and should isolate, and stay on your head when walking), they do sound boomy and veiled.  Also, the frequency response IMO of these is fantastic.  It's almost a straight line (not with a slope of zero, more like -1/4).

I'm a little late with this (though I've had the M500 since, what now... June), but the KEF imo is a little overrated.  Sure, they beat out the UE6000, Momentum and MDR 1r at home but on the go is a different battle.  These are meant for portable use after all, so I think isolation should be a much greater factor.

So for me: Momentum is almost the perfect portable except that it doesn't fold and costs $350.  The MDR 1R has problems with it's actual sound quality, and build quality issues.  The M4U is too damn big.  The UE6000 has fantastic isolation, and it folds, but it has problems with it's sound, and it is slightly larger than it has to be.  The M100 has no problems really, except for it's sound signature (some may like it, some may not).  The Focal Spirit One almost hits the nail with no real problems except for sound signature (not sound quality)(has great isolation, SQ, folds).  ATH ESW9a lacks in isolation (not in sq, very good sq) and is flimsy.  I haven't tried the P7.

The ATH WS99, FS1, UE6000, and Momentum have come the closest, however, the SQ of the WS99 and Momentum (equal) wins it out for me.

I'm not even a huge fan of the Momentum's sound sig, but I still think they rein supreme.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,135 of 4,373
  RANT ALERT!

Reviving an old issue:  Golden Ear's assessment of the KEF M500.  I can actually understand it.  If the KEF gets too good of a seal, or if the clamp is too taut (which is what it should be imo, since they are portable headphones and should isolate, and stay on your head when walking), they do sound boomy and veiled.  Also, the frequency response IMO of these is fantastic.  It's almost a straight line (not with a slope of zero, more like -1/4).

I'm a little late with this (though I've had the M500 since, what now... June), but the KEF imo is a little overrated.  Sure, they beat out the UE6000, Momentum and MDR 1r at home but on the go is a different battle.  These are meant for portable use after all, so I think isolation should be a much greater factor.

So for me: Momentum is almost the perfect portable except that it doesn't fold and costs $350.  The MDR 1R has problems with it's actual sound quality, and build quality issues.  The M4U is too damn big.  The UE6000 has fantastic isolation, and it folds, but it has problems with it's sound, and it is slightly larger than it has to be.  The M100 has no problems really, except for it's sound signature (some may like it, some may not).  The Focal Spirit One almost hits the nail with no real problems except for sound signature (not sound quality)(has great isolation, SQ, folds).  ATH ESW9a lacks in isolation (not in sq, very good sq) and is flimsy.  I haven't tried the P7.

The ATH WS99, FS1, UE6000, and Momentum have come the closest, however, the SQ of the WS99 and Momentum (equal) wins it out for me.

I'm not even a huge fan of the Momentum's sound sig, but I still think they rein supreme.

If you can get your ears to fit inside those tiny cups, sure, then they're a candidate :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,136 of 4,373
Nah, they don't fit, but they're still comfortable.

The p7 looks like it has all the qualities needed but they cost $400. Ugh... $400 on a portable? Too much, I'd rather have that go towards my home rig. I rarely listen to closed cans at home.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,138 of 4,373
Nah, they don't fit, but they're still comfortable.

The p7 looks like it has all the qualities needed but they cost $400. Ugh... $400 on a portable? Too much, I'd rather have that go towards my home rig. I rarely listen to closed cans at home.

But isn't this the hobby where people will spend multiple hundreds of extra dollars for less than 1-3% improvement in SQ? :) 

That said, I did find the P7 having a better build than either the momentum and the M500.  It's only 50$ more than the momentum, but seems a lot better built, plus it folds down smaller.  That alone might be worth the extra money to some.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,139 of 4,373
But isn't this the hobby where people will spend multiple hundreds of extra dollars for less than 1-3% improvement in SQ? :) 

That said, I did find the P7 having a better build than either the momentum and the M500.  It's only 50$ more than the momentum, but seems a lot better built, plus it folds down smaller.  That alone might be worth the extra money to some.

I was thinking the same thing. While $50 isn't insignificant, it's not a great deal when you are already spending $350 on a set of cans. If the momentum sound is for you, you saved $50. If not, I'd much rather try something a few bucks more to see what the difference would get me in terms of comfort, sound and enjoyment. Particularly when these are already luxury items.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,140 of 4,373

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-505630-Momentum-Headphone-Brown/dp/B009QV15DU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386800258&sr=8-2&keywords=momentum - its $100 more.
Sure people do it, though it's not really smart. If your actually going to pay for quality, why not just get some open headphones?

That being said, I guess I should actually try them first. They better be a good improvement over the m500/ws99/Momentum! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back