COMPARISON / REVIEW (Part Deux) : A tale of two Sennheisers – HD600 vs HD650
Jan 15, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #121 of 207
  Tyll's review on Innerfidelity notes there are early, mid and current models of the HD600. Taking this into account, there are at least two revisions of the black-screened HD600. You might have the first version Tyll is talking about.

Thank you so much for posting that. I have often had people make comments about how their HD600 sound and said to myself, "Mine don't sound like that." It appears that may be exactly the case, mine DON"T sound like that. I have been thinking of getting a new pair of 600's and after seeing these images you uploaded I think now, that I will.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #122 of 207
I recently bought the HD 650 and am currently comparing them to the HD 600. I find they are tuned similarly but they also sound different inherently. Will need to spend more time with them, but the HD 650 seems to have a better and more refined driver as I find the HD 650 sounds cleaner and clearer. The HD 600 sounds slightly confused at times in comparison.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #125 of 207
Excellent comparison. I was considering adding a pair of the 600s to my small collection which includes the HD 650s. I now doubt that my ears will be able to tell the difference.

I'll save my $$$ for something else. Perhaps the HD 700s.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #126 of 207
  Thanks very much, really helpful.

Does anyone have any opinions about which sounds more natural/realistic?

Really good question.  I know many people thought that the HD650 was the more coloured - but I'm not so sure that is true with the one I tested. I did find that the HD650 portrayed piano (lower notes) and cello exceptionally well.  Really captured the timbre nicely.  But guitar and violin were more natural (to my preferences anyway) with the HD600.

I think you need to choose based on your overall preferences.  If you like a marginally warmer sound, go with the HD650. If you prefer a little more air and slightly brighter presentation, go with the HD600.

Excellent comparison. I was considering adding a pair of the 600s to my small collection which includes the HD 650s. I now doubt that my ears will be able to tell the difference.

I'll save my $$$ for something else. Perhaps the HD 700s.

Thanks.  While some own both, I probably wouldn't see the point after comparing the two. If you are looking for something more vivid and good contrast to the HD650, I'd honestly recommend looking for a used T1.  They often go used for around $700 - which wouldn't be that much more than the $500-600 you'd be paying for an HD700.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #127 of 207

Really good question.  I know many people thought that the HD650 was the more coloured - but I'm not so sure that is true with the one I tested. I did find that the HD650 portrayed piano (lower notes) and cello exceptionally well.  Really captured the timbre nicely.  But guitar and violin were more natural (to my preferences anyway) with the HD600.

I think you need to choose based on your overall preferences.  If you like a marginally warmer sound, go with the HD650. If you prefer a little more air and slightly brighter presentation, go with the HD600.

Thanks for your quick reply. Which would you prefer for the album Thriller by Michael Jackson?

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #128 of 207
   Thanks for your quick reply. Which would you prefer for the album Thriller by Michael Jackson?

Unfortunately I no longer have the HD650 with me - so it would be very difficult for me to say.  I'm not very keen on relying on auditory memory - as I know how inaccurate it is.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #129 of 207

Unfortunately I no longer have the HD650 with me - so it would be very difficult for me to say.  I'm not very keen on relying on auditory memory - as I know how inaccurate it is.

Let me know anytime if you would like to have a listen to them again 
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #130 of 207
You might not get them back ......

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #131 of 207
I just wanted to say that this thread helped in my decision to get a pair hd 600s and I'm really glad I did. They sound fantastic - very natural, well balanced and definitely enough bass. I auditioned a pair of Fidelio X2s a few weeks ago and, while I can't say I completely trust my memory, I'm definitely happier with vocals and drums on the hd 600s. The drums just sound fantastic and for me the big thing I was looking for was a natural sound and the hd 600s definitely deliver in that way.

Thanks very much for your review Brooko!

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #132 of 207
No problem - glad my experiences helped with your decision.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #133 of 207
 ​
Will I now buy an HD650 to compliment the HD600?  No – the differences are too subtle, and both are massively similar than they are different.  

Considering this, I wonder if we could just EQ the HD600 to give us some HD650 experience, if we're curious. If the difference between them is so small, I think EQ would make one literally indistinguishable from the other. Has anyone ever tried this?

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #134 of 207
I haven't tried it - but I'd imagine you would get very similar (tonality).  You'd need to find someone who has both again to compare side-by-side after EQing.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #135 of 207
Thanks for a great comparison of these two mythbuilders. I have the 650s for nearly 10years. Very much a listener of jazz and classic rock and happy with them. Steely Dan is my favorite for comparing anything, headphones or speakers. I understand that Senn has updated the drivers for my 650s. I'm dangerous with a screwdriver so I think I'll get the newer drivers and seek out a HeadFier in Portland/Vancouver area to help me change them out. Great can only get better. Even at $273 on Amazon, I don't think I need to buy the 600s.
Again thanks for your time on a great review, comparison.  alejandro in Vancouver, WA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back