Comparison: Cowon Plenue D Vs Sony NW-A35
Jan 19, 2017 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Vitor Valeri

500+ Head-Fier
Cowon Plenue D Vs Sony Walkman A35 - First Impressions

Interface

In terms of interface I will have to agree that Sony's is more fluid, but Cowon Plenue D seemed more practical to me, it does not go around to get where you want (with a few clicks you get to the song or config. adjust).

Physical aspects

The Plenue D is lighter and smaller than the A35, but I found the A35 more anatomical to pick up.

In terms of screen quality, Sony is wildly better as you can see in the photo.

Sound

What I was able to perceive with my headphones and my perception was this:

As you already know, the amplification of the A35 is weaker compared to the Plenue D. The Plenue D was 25% of the total volume and for the A35 to achieve a similar sound I had to reach 42% of the total volume to be able to match both.

Another thing easy to understand, the Plenue D has a fuller sound, has more sound stage and I have better separation of the instruments accordingly.

As I listened I noticed a peculiar characteristic in the Sony player that my friend had already commented on in other models of the brand. Such a velvety, round sound. It seemed to me that depending on the music there is an artificial processing done by the player so that the sound does not get aggressive, for example when we have extreme highs that sometimes turn out to be strident, a little aggressive, the A35 seems to cut that part.

I managed to think as follows, Plenue D delivers the raw, real sound with more attack and more spatiality. While the A35 delivers a sound though slimmer, artificial, yummy to hear, not fatiguing.

Both players have similar definitions, although these differences are mentioned above.

More photos:

Video:

Earphone used in the comparison: CIEM JH5 PRO

Configuration used: No equalization in Sony NW-A35; without equalization in Cowon Plenue D.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 21
Are you keeping both?
Cowon Plenue D Vs Sony Walkman A35 - First Impressions

Interface

In terms of interface I will have to agree that Sony's is more fluid, but Cowon Plenue D seemed more practical to me, it does not go around to get where you want (with a few clicks you get to the song or config. adjust).

Physical aspects

The Plenue D is lighter and smaller than the A35, but I found the A35 more anatomical to pick up.

In terms of screen quality, Sony is wildly better as you can see in the photo.

Sound

What I was able to perceive with my headphones and my perception was this:

As you already know, the amplification of the A35 is weaker compared to the Plenue D. The Plenue D was 25% of the total volume and for the A35 to achieve a similar sound I had to reach 42% of the total volume to be able to match both.

Another thing easy to understand, the Plenue D has a fuller sound, has more sound stage and I have better separation of the instruments accordingly.

As I listened I noticed a peculiar characteristic in the Sony player that my friend had already commented on in other models of the brand. Such a velvety, round sound. It seemed to me that depending on the music there is an artificial processing done by the player so that the sound does not get aggressive, for example when we have extreme highs that sometimes turn out to be strident, a little aggressive, the A35 seems to cut that part.

I managed to think as follows, Plenue D delivers the raw, real sound with more attack and more spatiality. While the A35 delivers a sound though slimmer, artificial, yummy to hear, not fatiguing.

Both players have similar definitions, although these differences are mentioned above.

More photos:

Video:

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 21
Jan 25, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 21
I forgot to mention one important thing. Sorry guys!

To perform the comparative, I used the CIEM JH5 PRO.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 21
The Sony went bubyee. Not surprising. Cowon's Sound and EQ is hard to beat. Cowon did a lot of things right on the D. It's not perfect but for the price it really is great.

If there wasn't the file limit on the cowon I would have bought that awhile back and been done, but alas.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 21
If there wasn't the file limit on the cowon I would have bought that awhile back and been done, but alas.

True, but at the same time you can swap SD cards so it's still a flexible and capable player. If it had 128 GB internal only memory then yes DEAL BREAKER! but that's not the case. Also, 128 GB is a lot of music! I can't even listen to it all and find that some artists are not interesting enough anymore to keep on the player so they get removed. So the D, for me at least, for all else (battery life, EQ, DSP, size GUI) that it is and does for the price is ideal. :D

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 21
Mar 6, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 21
  hey there, may I ask what you ended up getting? Can't make up my mind about which one to get myself...

I ended up getting the Cowon Plenue D. I got rid of the Sony A35.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 21
I ordered an A35 today. I have a DX200, but I only tend to use that when stationary e.g. in work. When on the move I tend to use my trusty ipod classic, however I recently bought a pair of Sony 1000x bluetooth headphones for on the move and the HI res bluetooth capabilities of the A35 were ideal.

I know you meantion that the sound is 'rounded'. Am I right to assume that this will only effect wired IEMs and headphones? If using bluetooth  then this sound processing will not occur?

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #14 of 21
  I ordered an A35 today. I have a DX200, but I only tend to use that when stationary e.g. in work. When on the move I tend to use my trusty ipod classic, however I recently bought a pair of Sony 1000x bluetooth headphones for on the move and the HI res bluetooth capabilities of the A35 were ideal.

I know you meantion that the sound is 'rounded'. Am I right to assume that this will only effect wired IEMs and headphones? If using bluetooth  then this sound processing will not occur?

Honestly I do not know, I did not even test wireless headphones on the Sony A35. But I think it will have the same sound processing as wired headphones.

Jun 8, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #15 of 21
Interesting review, thank's...
I have some sort of question. I am about to buy an NW-A35 to use it as a player plugged to my Sony PHA-1Aeu (to much interferences with my phone). Will the sony processing you mentioned (independent from the built in DSP's) be transfered to the Sony Amp/DAC via numerical liaison ?
Meaning at what stage is the so called "sony process" is applied will it affect the quality of the excellent Sony Amp/DAC PHA-1Aeu ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back