*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #152 of 452
I'm looking into the Magni/Modi but I'm using the Sony MDR Z1000s which are known to have slightly anemic bass. Personally I find them okay, but I'm worried that Magni/Modi will exacerbate the problem and make it more noticeable. Thoughts?

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #153 of 452
I am using the shure 1840 which also had light bass and the M/M combo doesn't do anything that alters what I hear when I first heard the bass response...NOTHING. As for the reviews on the differences, if the magni/modified is your first amp/dac, then you really shouldn't take the said differences as night and day differences since the they are already proven to be in the same quality as O2/Odac. They are just minor differences

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #154 of 452
I have (2) O2's and ODACS...that said I wouldnt hesitate to try the Schiit stuff....they really look like a nice stack to have and play with....the O2 and ODAC may be better, more transparent etc but I would guess that most of us would be hard pressed to really tell the difference.

Alex

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #157 of 452
I've heard that there's a significant hiss when using the Magni+Modi and the HE-400's, potentially because the headphones are low impedance, the amp is relatively powerful, and there's no gain options. Has anyone using the schiit stack with the HE-400 (or other low impedance headphones) experienced this?

As far as I know, nobody's ever complained about hiss coming from the o2/odac.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #158 of 452
There's zero hiss issues.  I frequent the HE-400 topics.  The only hiss related post I came across was a guy possibly complaining about the he-400 and the magni/modi bringing out tape hiss too much in certain recordings.  That's not the same as having a hiss because of an amp.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #160 of 452
The biggest problem seems to be the fixed 5x gain with the magni.

The modi outputs 1.5V * 5 = 7.5V, yet most ~30 ohm headphones only need below 0.01V to below 0.1V for 85 dB SPL. That's already loud with the volume control turned down to -58 to -38 dB.
But most pots already have channel balance problems at -40 dB... and things don't get better if you use a proper 2Vrms source.

A guy in the magni thread posted he's usually listening with the volume control at 8 o'clock! But with the right gain the usable volume control range should be 9 to 2 o'clock.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #161 of 452
It's definitely not an amp for sensitive headphones.  With the HE-400, I average around 9 o'clock.  With high dynamic recordings I can get up to around 11 o'clock.  With reducitve EQ and high dynamic range recordings I can get up to around 1-2 o'clock.  That's enough play for me. 

Admittedly there's a little more channel imbalance at the lowest of volume pot positions on the Magni compared to the O2, so I guess if people were wanting to power sensitive headphones and listen at lower levels, the O2 might be a better choice.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #163 of 452
I would definitely recommend the O2 for sensitive cans...for sure.....and its "hiss-proof" as well.....

The ability to change the gain with the O2 also is a good idea....

Alex

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #164 of 452
Seems like the Magni has some pretty obvious design issues then.

I think the sound quality checks out, from others descriptions but otherwise, Magni=fail. The gain issues and volume pot should be adjusted. I don't "get" a 5X gain anyway. For the power it puts out, I would think it could get by well on no gain - 2X, like the O2.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #165 of 452
Quote:
I've heard that there's a significant hiss when using the Magni+Modi and the HE-400's, potentially because the headphones are low impedance, the amp is relatively powerful, and there's no gain options. Has anyone using the schiit stack with the HE-400 (or other low impedance headphones) experienced this?

As far as I know, nobody's ever complained about hiss coming from the o2/odac.

Absolutely no hiss from my HE-400 and M&M. The high gain isn't bothering me either once I drop the PC volume or furbar2000+WASAPI to about 75-80%. Can probably drop it lower, but I'm comfortable with the Magni volume pot around 10-11 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back